general question as i'm new to android from blackberry

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to android from blackberry and have a very basic question that could use some clarification. That said, don't kill me here. I'm a little foggy regarding the difference between a widget and an app. I've seen what i think of as an app where widgets can be downloaded so I was wonering if there was some kind of acute difference specific to android(i did google widget before posting this and understand the basic principle). Anyway, any help is appreciated

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
A widget is like an extension of the app.
On your home screen are shortcuts. the shortcuts only take you to the app and you would still need to do whatever you need.
A widget however let you do certain things straight from home screen.
Example music player, no widget mean you would have to click on the shortcut to open music app then click play our pause ect....
Music widget on hone screen let you control the music player without having to go into the app itself. Hope that make sense

Reactions: adammcgovern

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Stick some widgets on your home screen and see for yourself. Some of the apps you already have loaded probably have widgets. Don't be afraid to play around. You can always remove unwanted widgets at any time.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
When you download an 'app' from the app market, you download a 'package' that may contain a bunch of stuff, for example an 'app' and related 'widgets' or just an 'app' or just 'widgets'.

You can launch (open) apps using their icons (in the app drawer) or in the home screen.

Widgets on the other hand you don't open but add once to the home screen. Once in the home screen, a widget takes a small portion of the home screen and can show information such as weather or battery status, interact with your clicks, etc, like a smar icon.

To add widgets to your home screen long press and the background until the menu pops up and go from there.

TripleX25

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
they pretty much covered it all it is in lamens terms is a quick way to accsess the app instead of having to let it open and load it is constanly running so it can run down your battery this is just adding to what has already been said

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
One more thing - some "apps" in the market are just widgets. There is no "app" behind them.

For example, Android Central has two “apps” in the market. The AC widget app shows you the last few stories posted on the main page; the AC app is more in-depth as an app for AC. They are separate and independent.

You can think of a widget as a "window" into an app or website. You can see key things without having to open it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463