Headphones burned in my ear

AlexSrb

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Pretty much i was trying something out so i wanted to plug my earphones into a music stereo where my speakers connect when i plugged them,something exploded and started crackling i get them out and they smell like burnt plastic and one earphone doesn't work anymore.Feel like i damaged my ear,some thoughts? Maybe my mixtape was so fire🔥?

AlexSrb

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Elta hi-fi music system,i made a mistake of putting my headphones in the speakers port,there is a port which is for headphones but i was testing the other port because my speakers stopped functioning properly..

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
You connected your headphones to the speaker output?

Several things wrong with this...

Impedance mis-match. Speakers are typically 8 ohms nominal, headphones aren't usually that low. So while the speaker amp should be able to handle this, it was most likely not designed for it.

Wattage output. Headphones are designed for power levels in the miliwatt range. Speaker amps can deliver 100s-1000s X that. While you certainly can turn down the volume, what you can't control is power ON/OFF transients... pops and bursts of energy as the amp circuit powers up and down.

Headphone TRS plugs (and jacks) are common grounded at the sleeve. If a speaker output is not capable of being common grounded between -R and -L... You could have problems. As before, while the amp may be capable of handling this scenario, there is a good chance it was not designed or tested for it.

The proper way to do it is with a speaker to headphone adapter...
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...BnOyLCyUzft11weQ9CQaAmG-8P8HAQ&token=azOKlwTR
https://www.amazon.com/rolls-PM52-H...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5750948

[EDIT] My commentary and recommendations above are directed towards solid state speaker amp circuits. Tube amps are a WHOLE nother' ball game.

You cooked the voice coil(s) in the headphones. They're toast and most likely can't be easily repaired.

You should also get your ears checked by a doctor, you could have ruptured an eardrum.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2