How do you save "Unavailable" as a contact?

supersam64

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
First things first: I am using a Samsung Fascinate (SCH-I500) with service from Verizon Wireless. I am running Android 2.2 (Froyo). I use Google Voice for all of my outgoing/incoming calls and texts, except for the one that I am referring to in this post. Now then...

The issue:
I have a friend who calls me on a regular basis. He is only able to call me from a number that shows on my Caller ID as "Unavailable". He is only able to call my regular number (the one assigned to me by Verizon) and not my Google Voice number. He is the only person who ever calls me from an "Unavailable" number. What I would like to do is configure the phone in such a way that every time I get a call from an "Unavailable" number, it associates that call with his caller ID info (ex. picture, address, etc.). So, it would say his name and show his picture when he (or anyone else with an unavailable number) calls me.

What I have tried:
I tried going into Google contacts and creating him as a contact, and in the phone number field typing "Unavailable". This syncs with the Google contact list in my phone. Since I haven't found a way to type anything but a number in the phone number field on my phone, this is the only way I have found to set his number as "Unavailable". It works, kind of...

What happens when I test it is that no specific contact info comes up on the Caller ID when the call comes through, but when I go to the call log immediately afterwards, it lists it as a call from "Josh", and displays his picture. So it must recognize "Unavailable", just not as the call is coming in.

Also, if I set the number to "PRIVATE" and then test it, it works the way I want it to, with his name and picture coming up on the Caller ID when I receive a private call. The problem is, his calls are "Unavailable", not "PRIVATE".

It should be mentioned that I don't have an accurate way of testing it. The only way I can test it is as follows: (Stay with me, I know this may be rather confusing, but I want to provide enough info to get an accurate solution.)

To test it, I dial my Google Voice number from another phone with a prefix of *67. This may not be accurate, because my friend is calling my direct number, not my Google Voice number, which may cause a different outcome. Unfortunately, I cannot ask him to test it because he is only able to use the phone at certain specific times. If I dial my direct (not GV) number from another phone with a prefix of *67, it shows "PRIVATE", not "Unavailable", so this is not an accurate way to test it either. (This is how I tested the "PRIVATE" method. One idea is that the "PRIVATE" method worked because it called me directly and the "Unavailable" method did not because it called through Google Voice.)

If you have read this entire post, I certainly appreciate your time (I know it's a long post, but it's complicated!) and any help you may be able to give me on this matter. Thank you very much.

-:cool:supersam64

UPDATE: Just received a call from this person to my direct number (Verizon) and it did the same thing as when I tested "Unavailable" through Google Voice. So it's not a matter of Google Voice causing the issue.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463