Best 2 in 1 under $500?

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking for a 2 in 1 (a solid device in that price range that can be used as a tablet & laptop) for my Dad that's under $500. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
2 in 1 Chromebook? Windows tablet/laptop?

I'm not sure. What would be the difference between the two? Also can they both be used as a tablet or laptop with a detachable keyboard? Having that option would be my main focus.

What do you generally like between the two? I'd like to get something that will last a while, run smoothly & be easy to use.

Thank you & I appreciate the response. I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, the existing 2-in-1 Chromebooks don't have detachable keyboards -- instead, they have 360 degree hinges that allow the keyboard to fold completely back to lie against the back of the screen, effectively turning the whole unit into a tablet form.

I'm a big fan of Chromebooks, for the following reasons:

1. Lightweight OS. No endless updates like on my Windows desktop that sometimes take upwards of 30 minutes to complete the entire update process. The lack of all other system bloat also means a lesser CPU will work just fine, use less battery, and generate less heat. Google also guarantees that it will continue updates for a given Chromebook for 6.5 years, which is an insanely long period of time from a personal computer standpoint.

2. Quick bootup. It literally takes 7 seconds to boot up cold, and an additional 4 or 5 seconds for the browser to be ready to use. Compare with the 30-40 seconds on my Windows desktop.

3. Security. No antivirus needed, no constant security patches. If I lose the Chromebook somehow, I just change my Google password and a thief can't access my sensitive data.

4. Convenience. I work almost entirely within the Google space, so it's extremely convenient to access all of my files (and upload files) on Google Drive, or manage my media in Google Photos or Google Play Music (it's awesome not having to deal with iTunes any more).

Now, does that mean I can do without a Windows PC completely? Not yet, because there are always the occasional websites that require Internet Explorer (blech!), or the occasional Windows program I have to use that doesn't have a browser-based equivalent. But more and more companies are jumping into cloud or browser-based computing, which means Chromebooks gain more and more functionality. And in addition, the slow but steady introduction of Android app capability for newer Chromebooks means a quantum jump in functionality.

I would be very cautious about these cheap Windows laptops that are intended to compete with Chromebooks -- my experience with inexpensive Windows laptops has been frustrating, to say the least, in terms of performance and build quality.

rahulpah

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Last edited:

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
As far as I know, the existing 2-in-1 Chromebooks don't have detachable keyboards -- instead, they have 360 degree hinges that allow the keyboard to fold completely back to lie against the back of the screen, effectively turning the whole unit into a tablet form.

I'm a big fan of Chromebooks, for the following reasons:

1. Lightweight OS. No endless updates like on my Windows desktop that sometimes take upwards of 30 minutes to complete the entire update process. The lack of all other system bloat also means a lesser CPU will work just fine, use less battery, and generate less heat. Google also guarantees that it will continue updates for a given Chromebook for 6.5 years, which is an insanely long period of time from a personal computer standpoint.

2. Quick bootup. It literally takes 7 seconds to boot up cold, and an additional 4 or 5 seconds for the browser to be ready to use. Compare with the 30-40 seconds on my Windows desktop.

3. Security. No antivirus needed, no constant security patches. If I lose the Chromebook somehow, I just change my Google password and a thief can't access my sensitive data.

4. Convenience. I work almost entirely within the Google space, so it's extremely convenient to access all of my files (and upload files) on Google Drive, or manage my media in Google Photos or Google Play Music (it's awesome not having to deal with iTunes any more).

Now, does that mean I can do without a Windows PC completely? Not yet, because there are always the occasional websites that require Internet Explorer (blech!), or the occasional Windows program I have to use that doesn't have a browser-based equivalent. But more and more companies are jumping into cloud or browser-based computing, which means Chromebooks gain more and more functionality. And in addition, the slow but steady introduction of Android app capability for newer Chromebooks means a quantum jump in functionality.

I would be very cautious about these cheap Windows laptops that are intended to compete with Chromebooks -- my experience with inexpensive Windows laptops has been frustrating, to say the least, in terms of performance and build quality.

You've definitely made some great points & completely convinced me that a Chromebook is the way to go. I def. appreciate the advice. You would be a good Chromebook sales person B. Diddy :D

rahulpah

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
well those are not Chromebooks and you can get convertible Chromebook if needed but there is not one available with detachable keyboard... if you want to go with Chromebook you have to sacrifice about detachable keyboard

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
well those are not Chromebooks and you can get convertible Chromebook if needed but there is not one available with detachable keyboard... if you want to go with Chromebook you have to sacrifice about detachable keyboard

I do like a detachable keyboard, but I'm thinking it's worth overlooking the detachable keyboard to go in the chromebook direction. I should've been more clear about that, sorry Rahulpah.