Welcome to my advanced file transfer guide. I have made this guide to help you transfer files between your android device and your PC if other methods have not worked. Keep in mind that some steps in this guide may differ for your particular device, and I will specify these steps. You may also need the manufacrurers device drivers for your android device first. I recommend searching for these first, then installing them before proceeding. I will not include further details on this as there are far too many variables to account for. I will also advise using a good-quality cable, or at the least, a cable that is not damaged for this guide.

Side-note: Device drivers can usually be found by simply searching ">Your Device Name/Model< Device Drivers" on the web with ease.

Step 1. Open your settings app and navagate to the "About phone" section.
    (This may also be called "About")

Step 2. Next, look for the "Software info" category.
    (This may also be called "Software", or alternatively may not be it's own category at all)

Step 3. Once you find yor software details, find the "Build number" box. Tap on it seven times, and the developer toast will appear (Figure 2).

Step 4. Go bact to the main page in your settings and open the new "Developer options" category.

Step 5. Find the "USB debugging" option and enable it.

Step 6. Connect your device to your computer. Important note!: If your device is locked with a fingerprint, password, or pin, you must unlock your device before you connect it to your computer!

Step 7. Now tap on the "File transfer" notification on your device. File transfer should already selected. You can also choose this to be the default whenever the device is connected. To clear the default, tap the "Revoke USB debugging authorizations" box under developer options. If you select the "Photo transfer" option, image files will be the only visible options on the device.

That's it for this guide, please leave a like if you found this guide helpful.
    Tim1954, B. Diddy and spray76 like this.
    05-05-2017 05:38 PM
    Thanks for the guide! I would add that most phones won't require you to turn on USB Debugging in order to choose the file transfer mode -- it should be able to do this out of the box.
    05-05-2017 08:37 PM
    Thank you for the tips
    Mr Mendelli likes this.
    05-17-2017 11:02 PM
    Thank you for this! My Samsung Galaxy S7 has never connected to my PC so I am going to try this when I get home. I have Windows 10 on my laptop at home and it does not read my phone, however, it read my Galaxy S5 just fine. I have searched advice on the internet and didn't see anything that looked like it would help. Glad I finally decided to come here!!
    Mr Mendelli likes this.
    05-22-2017 09:32 AM
    Mr. Mendelli, this didn't work for me. I got to step 7. I didn't get a File Transfer Notification so I still can't get it to work. Under developer options I have USB configuration that looks similar to what you have above but it doesn't give me the option of File Transfer. Any other suggestions?
    05-24-2017 08:23 PM
    I've done all that. My PC can see the S4. When I copy a folder it creates the folder but cannot transfer files. If I drag one file it says "Copying...." and the green bar starts but nothing is transferred and eventually it gives up.
    Yesterday 02:18 PM
    Mr. Mendelli, this didn't work for me. I got to step 7. I didn't get a File Transfer Notification so I still can't get it to work. Under developer options I have USB configuration that looks similar to what you have above but it doesn't give me the option of File Transfer. Any other suggestions?
    You may need device drivers for your phone. A simple search on the web should get you what you need. I will add some more details on this matter to my guide. I found the official drivers here, but there are some feilds you will need to fill out regarding specific model and carrier before you download your drivers. I should have included more details on drivers when I made this , thank you for your input @spray76.
    Today 03:33 AM
    I've done all that. My PC can see the S4. When I copy a folder it creates the folder but cannot transfer files. If I drag one file it says "Copying...." and the green bar starts but nothing is transferred and eventually it gives up.
    I apologise @POBernie, you may need to install your device drivers like I told @spray76, you can usually find them on the web fairly easily. I found some here, and here. There's also a search tool you can enter your model number into if you do not see what you need on Samsung's site.
    Today 03:02 PM