My first Bluetooth headphone experience. Is this normal?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I got a new S8 plus and got the 99 dollar bundle with AKG Y50BT headphones. Loving both. Used headphones in house and it was always flawless. Decided to go on a mile and a half wall around block and used headphones. It was mostly fine but once in a while the audio would briefly cut out. Not too often but enough that I took notice and didn't like it. I did a quick Google search and found a blog post saying it was typical for Bluetooth as outdoors the signal can't bounce off walls to help and with phone in pocket the signal has to push through your body. My phone was in the lower right pocket of my Carpenter jeans as always. The post makes sense but I have no experience to reference to. Is it normal to occasionally have momentary dropouts in audio while walking or running? While indoors, I went as far away as 20ft from my phone and signal stayed perfect so I'm inclined to think they are working properly. What do you guys think? What's your experiences with this?

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I got a new S8 plus and got the 99 dollar bundle with AKG Y50BT headphones. Loving both. Used headphones in house and it was always flawless. Decided to go on a mile and a half wall around block and used headphones. It was mostly fine but once in a while the audio would briefly cut out. Not too often but enough that I took notice and didn't like it. I did a quick Google search and found a blog post saying it was typical for Bluetooth as outdoors the signal can't bounce off walls to help and with phone in pocket the signal has to push through your body. My phone was in the lower right pocket of my Carpenter jeans as always. The post makes sense but I have no experience to reference to. Is it normal to occasionally have momentary dropouts in audio while walking or running? While indoors, I went as far away as 20ft from my phone and signal stayed perfect so I'm inclined to think they are working properly. What do you guys think? What's your experiences with this?
This is unfortunately "normal". This is due to the fact that bluetooth is wireless. Because it is, there are many, many variables that can cause interferience or lag. I would either try a nicer, albiet pricier pair, or wait for the next generation of wireless earbuds. Bluetooth is also limited in what it can do, and how it performs. There are also different versions of bluetooth, with v3.0 being the current standard, although v4.0 will be taking over soon, hopefully with substancial improvements.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, these headphones retail for 150 bucks. Only got them through that promo deal for Samsung pre-order. That's pricey enough for me. If having no interference requires n even more expensive set, I'd rather invest in wired headphones.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me on my single ear headset during calls. Because it only uses one ear piece, everything is on one side, including the antennas. If I have the headset on my right ear and phone in my left pocket, calls try breaking up. If I move the phone to my right pocket, it's generally ok.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I'll get a belt holster and try putting my phone on same side as my headphones antenna ( whatever side it's on). Try to give it a more direct line of sight connection.