Help: Replacing the SD Card

willster73

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So I?m a couple months into my new HTC Evo Shift, and I think I will need some extra SD storage at some point. So my question is: what is the process for swapping out the 2gb card with a new 8 or 16gb card? I?ve read other posts that say to 1) copy all the contents of the current 2gb card to a PC, 2) take out the current card install a new card, 3) format it, and then 3) copy all the files and folders from the PC back to the phone. Is this correct? Anyone have any other suggestions or issues with this process?

Also, any recommendations on type of card (Sandisk, Kingston, etc.) and best place to purchase?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You've got all the information right. When transferring to the computer it will be a good opportunity to sort through it and clean out the old files you no longer use. Just copy the data onto the new sd card and it will be ready to use.

You really don't need to format the new sd card unless it says to. Most micro sd cards are pre-formated and ready to go out of the box. For peace of mind you may do it before transferring the data onto the new card.

With brands, there are some good lesser brands out there. Try Amazon or Newegg for good deals. People will say stick to the "Brand" named cards. I've had just a good experience with "lesser" known brands than Sandisk. It's always good practice to backup sd card content on your computer anyways, just in case the card fails.

Reactions: willster73

willster73

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You've got all the information right. When transferring to the computer it will be a good opportunity to sort through it and clean out the old files you no longer use. Just copy the data onto the new sd card and it will be ready to use.

You really don't need to format the new sd card unless it says to. Most micro sd cards are pre-formated and ready to go out of the box. For peace of mind you may do it before transferring the data onto the new card.

With brands, there are some good lesser brands out there. Try Amazon or Newegg for good deals. People will say stick to the "Brand" named cards. I've had just a good experience with "lesser" known brands than Sandisk. It's always good practice to backup sd card content on your computer anyways, just in case the card fails.
Thanks! Never having done this before, it makes me a little nervous trying this with my phone - it is working perfectly except for the storage issues. Don't want to mess anything up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar