| || |
[Guide] Convert your Video's and stream from the Cloud
Phase One: Convert your movies to stream-able MP4.
Your video files need to have the streaming flag enabled, otherwise the files will download completely to your Android device before it starts playing the video. This can be done with DVD Catalyst 4. (There may be some other options out there as well). There is a Paid and Free version. The Free version has the flag automatically set. The Paid version, you need to enable the flag. See the picture below for details.
If using the Free version, you need to download a version that is for your device or similar. For example. I own a Optimus V, which is very similar to the Eris in specs. So I would download the Eris version, because a version for the Optimus V/One is not available. With that being said. I recommend the Paid version. You can do two passes, remove black bars, adjust the resolution, bitrate, fps, etc... Those options come in handy, when you are trying to get the bitrate down to stream over 3G.
I created a profile in DVD Catalyst 4 with the following specs for my Optimus V. It will not look outstanding or sound amazing, but it will be watchable on my device. The lower the bitrate, the better it will stream over 3G/4G/Wifi. The following specs created a file with a overall bitrate of about ~156kbps. Very low.
Sample download: Click Here.
In either one of these programs, simply dragging a video file to the window, will add a file to the queue. Hitting the "Go/Start" button will begin converting.
Video Quality: 100Kbps
Video Mode: 2-Passes
Sound: Mono 32Kbps
Phase Two: Uploading your video's to cloud
I recommend SugarSync. You get 5GB for free. If you refer someone you and that person both get a extra 500MB. There is a Android App available. You could also use Dropbox. You get 2GB free and a extra 250MB for anyone you refer. There is also a Dropbox app. The directions below are for SugarSync.
- Sign-up and install the App to your PC.
- Make sure you verify your E-mail.
- Add your video's you converted to your Magic Briefcase. (~Documents\Magic Briefcase)
- Install the Android application from the Marketplace.
- Login into SugarSync via the Android app.
Phase Three: Playing the Video's from the cloud.
- Make sure you have a decent connection. The higher the quality of your video's, the better your connection will need to be.
- Click your Magic Briefcase.
- Click on one of your MP4's you created.
- It might ask you if you want to open it in a web browser. Click yes.
- It might ask you which media player you want to play the MP4 with. If you have problems with the stock player, try something like Rock Player. It seem's more reliable and produces less errors.