New phone - Google password changed and 24 hour lock out?

ahungv10

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
We bought a brand new Galaxy S7 Edge just last week for my mom. At one of the set up pages where it asked my mom to enter her google account, my mom said she couldn't remember the password. Without any knowledge of 24 (or maybe 72) hours lock out period, we foolishly just clicked the "forgot password" link on the phone and successfully reset the password. We know the password was reset successfully because we received an email on a laptop computer from Google telling us that the password has been updated and that a new Samsung device had tried to log on to her Google account. Then the phone screen prompted a message to say that the password has been change and need to wait 24 hours before we can try to set up the phone again. We have since waited for 4+ days, and we still cannot log in with the new password and the same message with the 24-hour requirement keeps showing up.

My question is, should my mom try to enter her old password (the one that she couldn't remember, but she probably can keep trying different passwords that she previously had used until one hits) or should she keep trying to log on with the newly created password? My second question is, my mom probably has been constantly trying to log on within the 24 (or 72) hours waiting period, does it cause an issue for the waiting period clock to keep recycling?

Any help is appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds frustrating.:-\ It used to be a 72 hour waiting period, but Google changed it to 24 somewhat recently. I'm not sure why it's still not working after 4 days -- it's worth seeing what happens if she just doesn't try for 24 hrs, as you suggest.

You might also want to try booting into Recovery and wiping the cache partition, or just doing a full factory reset: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24999