Need a new phone. :(

mike.strock

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm in need of a new phone. I have a Dell Streak 5, which I love, but I cracked the screen. Frustrating.

So I need a different Android based phone (preferably 2.2 or above). I use AT&T.

My main uses are email, Twitter, facebook and phone calls. I don't need a phone I can root, or put a new version of Android on. I use a bluetooth headset 98% of the time for phone calls, bluetooth voice dialing would be nice.

I love the navigation feature, use it all the time when travelling.

Thoughts? I don't want to spend $500, otherwise I'd just buy a new Streak.

Thanks.

Mike.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're mid contract with AT&T you might have to pay full retail, unless you can buy one used from Craigslist or in the AC Marketplace forum. Just be sure you clear the ESN with the carrier before buying any used phone.

As far as which would be best, you best bet is to spend a few hours at an AT&T store where they have demo units and use each one for a while. The different form factors and skins can make a big difference in how you feel about each device.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sean Brunett

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm in need of a new phone. I have a Dell Streak 5, which I love, but I cracked the screen. Frustrating.

So I need a different Android based phone (preferably 2.2 or above). I use AT&T.

My main uses are email, Twitter, facebook and phone calls. I don't need a phone I can root, or put a new version of Android on. I use a bluetooth headset 98% of the time for phone calls, bluetooth voice dialing would be nice.

I love the navigation feature, use it all the time when travelling.

Thoughts? I don't want to spend $500, otherwise I'd just buy a new Streak.

Thanks.

Mike.

Have you thought about the HTC Inspire 4g? ATT has some high quality phones at the moment: Atrix, Inspire and the Infuse should be out shortly. It all depends what you're looking for really. Atrix and Inspire are both 4.3-inch screens while the Infuse will be 4.5. I would go to an ATT store and play with them all for a couple min to see which one feels best for you.

mike.strock

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I like the 5" of the Dell Streak. It's a conversation piece ("What IS THAT PHONE?") . I'll have to go to the store and see what I can see.

I prefer not to buy off of Craigslist or EBay, I've had trouble with phones I've purchased there in the past, I know not every sale is a bad one, but...

Mike.

jcdrepair

Mar 16, 2011
www.jcdrepair.com
You've probably already gotten a new phone but if you still have your Dell Streak 5 laying around and miss it or maybe this will help someone else...

You should be able to fix your Dell Streak yourself or have someone do it for you. Just do a Google video search for: "dell streak take apart video". The one that popped up right away for me was from GoUnlock. You should be able to buy the part itself on Ebay. I just did a search for "Dell Streak 5 screen" on Ebay and it looks like the going rate from a US seller is about $50. I've bought a lot of stuff from GadgetFix and highly recommend them for parts. They can be a little bit spendy some times but the woman that runs it is honest, has good parts, and ships quickly.

mike.strock

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I have not purchased a new phone yet. Still using the broken Streak. It works fine. I may look at repairing it through a 3rd party. I don't have confidence I could fix it myself. I appreciate the response.

Mike.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1