Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr Rose
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you need a firewall for Android Phones?

I checked the other posts, but didn't find what I was looking for. Basically, I would like to know if you need a firewall on an Android phone. If not, please explain. The reason that I am asking is that I use my Thunderbolt as a WiFi hotspot and to network my Netbook with my Desktop. Both computers have firewalls, so I am not really worried about them. I also use the "Manage Users" feature on my phone, which seems to act as a firewall. I just want to be on the safe side and better informed.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Nope - no need for a firewall. There are no known viruses for Android, other then the hacked apps from china that were pirate apps to start with.

Not sure about VZW but I do know that AT&T blocks non-standard ports on their network as well.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I didn't think firewalls protected your device from viruses. I thought they prevented unauthorized access to the device. Am I mistaken?

Also, perhaps I am treating my phone too much like a PC, but it sure seems to be functioning like one. This is my first smartphone, so I have a lot to learn about them and Android. However, what I have learned, makes love this phone and the Android OS more and more.

Default Re: Do you need a firewall for Android Phones?

Fast Forward > 2013
    So, no need for a firewall on my GS4?

Say you are at Starbucks and using their open WiFi network.....are you safe from exploits by other users on the same network IF you keep file sharing off?
    Does this type of VPN useful?

What say YOU.....
    Last edited by GS4Bob; 10-14-2013 at 09:15 AM.

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Since your home router blocks all incoming ports by default, and your phone still works, there's no reason to not run a firewall.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

The truth is there is no need of firewall for Android device as long as you use reputable Android apps from Google store. You are unlikely to encounter any issues as long as you are not using any suspicious Apps which leaks information. But if you want to increase your security, there is an excellent firewall App called Droidwall that can only be run on rooted devices, (so it will not work devices which come in the original state.)
    Even though you installed firewall on your device, you are not fully protected against wifi eavesdroppers in cafes, coffee shops, airports, schools and hotels.In such case, you can secure your wireless internet connection using VPN connection to create several security layers. When connected to a VPN, all your Internet traffic is sent from your computer/device through an encrypted tunnel to the VPN provider’s network. Thus it’s encrypted and secured from any local Wi-Fi eavesdroppers at the hotspot.
    Hope it could help.
    brick58 likes this.

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Rose View Post
    The truth is there is no need of firewall for Android device as long as you use reputable Android apps from Google store. You are unlikely to encounter any issues as long as you are not using any suspicious Apps which leaks information.
    That's on outgoing ports. If you ever use a public hotspot (even something as innocuous as a shopping app like Sam's Club or Stop & Shop use), your phone is open to anyone who wants to connect to it - and upload any app he wants to upload, or download any data he wants to download.

There have been known wifi and Bluetooth attacks on Android phones for a long time.

There are loads of articles like these all over the web and all over the years.

So far I haven't heard of attacks through chargers, but any other connection to the world is vulnerable. So do you need a firewall for an Android device? No. But you should be using one as part of your security protocol.

Droidwall is no longer developed, use AFWall+ instead.

sent via tapatalk

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Rose View Post
    The truth is there is no need of firewall for Android device as long as you use reputable Android apps from Google store. You are unlikely to encounter any issues as long as you are not using any suspicious Apps which leaks information. .
    Like some of these perhaps?
    Putting out fire with gasoline