Got my second Android phone, all the numbers did not transfer

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I am sure there is a thread on this somewhere, I honestly tried to search for one but did not find one.

Anyway, I bought a Incredible when they first came out last year. My first smart phone. Best Buy transferred all my numbers from my dumb phone to the Incredible.

Yesterday I bought a Incredible2 from Verizon, and I am just noticing I am missing lots af phone numbers. Why did some tranfer and not others? what can I do about it?

I am talking about phone numbers I use frequently, and probably some I won't know I lost for some time.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Did you sync your contacts with Google? If so, then log into Gmail and go to the Contacts tab. You will see all the contacts there if sync'd with the phone.

If Best Buy transfered all the contacts everything should have been moved over to the new phone and could have been migrated to consolidate duplicate contacts.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Do you still have the old phone? If so, you should be able to export the contact list to a "csv" file on your SD card. Copy that file to your computer; open your desktop browser and logon to Gmail [using the same account as on your phone, obviously]. Then import that file into your address book. (You will have duplicates with this method, but can delete them fairly easily from the browser interface.)

I'd normally give more detail and possibly a way to avoid the duplicate issue, but I'm not sure how different the Incredible's Contacts app is from the stock Android.

Point is, if you have access to your old phone, you can export that list, and then import the contacts into Gmail on your desktop, clean them up, and they will then sync to your phone. From then on, every new phone you get (android, of course!) will have all of your contacts. I discovered way back with my Nexus One that imported contacts go into a "Other" type group that doesn't seem to get synced.

Last edited:
Reactions: macjazzy

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
font1975, thanks for the help, if I could further trouble you, please go into a little more detail on the csv file. I have no idea what that is or how to do it. My old phone started acting up ( i think it got wet) and rather than use my insurance I decided to use my upgrade. So for some reason it will charge through a USB cable, or the port on my computer but the computer does not see it as drive.

So if I could get the contacts onto my card then transfer them over that may work out for me.

thanks again

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Another way if the contacts you lost were saved as phone contacts and not Google contacts you could connect your old phone to Wifi and change any contact that wasn't saved as a Google contact to Google. Then just syncing your contact list from your old phone should add those to your new phone.
Or you could go to a Verizon store and see if they could move your contacts for you. Hope this helps.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am sure there is a thread on this somewhere, I honestly tried to search for one but did not find one....Yesterday I bought a Incredible2 from Verizon, and I am just noticing I am missing lots af phone numbers. Why did some tranfer and not others? what can I do about it?...
What has happened is that you have created contacts as Contact Type Phone instead of Google.

At the top of every thread, there is a link "Getting Started". Tap is to go to the Getting Started with Android thread.

I have set up a section on Backup, Restore or Transfer Your Android Device. Everything you need should be there. Le me know if it isn't.

Last edited:

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
font1975, thanks for the help, if I could further trouble you, please go into a little more detail on the csv file. I have no idea what that is or how to do it. My old phone started acting up ( i think it got wet) and rather than use my insurance I decided to use my upgrade. So for some reason it will charge through a USB cable, or the port on my computer but the computer does not see it as drive.

So if I could get the contacts onto my card then transfer them over that may work out for me.

thanks again

MacJazzy,
We can give it a go and see. However, the export saves it to your SD Card. If you can't get the computer to see the phone as a "drive" then you will need an SD Card reader. (Or you can put the SD Card in your new phone....). This is a two step process, export your Contacts list, import into Gmail.

Here are the steps to export the contact list, but remember, I have the Nexus S. The Incredible uses HTC Sense, so the Contacts app will probably be different. I'll walk through what I did to export the contacts and we'll see if the steps are close enough to the Incredible to help you find your way.

1. Open your app drawer and then open Contacts
2. Hit the Menu key to pop up the menu
3. Select "Import/Export"
4. Choose "Export to SD Card"
5. You should get a confirmation stating it will save it to "/sdcard/00001.vcf"; just tap OK

Assuming you can put the SD Card from the Incredible into another reader on your desktop computer, the next steps are (from your PC):

1. Open the drive for your SD Card to check the "00001.vcf" file is there.
2. Open your desktop browser and go to http://mail.google.com
(be sure to login with the same Google account as your phone)
3. Click on the "Contacts" on the left, just below the Gmail logo
4. Above the contacts list there should be a button labeled "More Actions". Click
on it and choose "Import..."
5. Browse to the SD Card and select your "00001.vcf" file

At this point, if all is well, you should see all of your contacts in Google. Clean up / merge any duplicates and let it sync to your phone.

Hope that helps!

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: macjazzy

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Ok, my old phone is giving me some fits, so I am trying both of these ideas, hopefully one or the other will work. I will let you guys know.

Thank you so much for the help.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I realize it took awhile, but I tried a few different ideas before I just went out and bought a new sd card and reader. That did the trick for me, so thanks go out to font1975. I am sure some of the other suggestions would work in other situations, but for me with an old phone that was not quite working properly anymore, this idea worked best.

A thought to anyone else trying this, DO NOT attempt to open the program you downloaded onto your laptop, in your laptop. I opened all my contacts, over 200 for me, in individual windows, So I had to go and close them all one at a time. what a PITA, hahaha

thank again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair