Upgraded to Gingerbread ROM, but Can't Access Data

zzzvariety

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Noob here, so please speak with as few acronyms as possible :)

I did a backup in Titanium Backup and ClockworkMod 3.0 through ROM Manager (which I just installed), but when I upgraded to a new ROM - Gingerbread, the ROM looked good, but all my data and info is gone, and the new operating system no longer lets me see ROM Manager or Titanium Backup, so how do I restore it but keep Gingerbread as my new ROM?

In an attempt to fix my Epic 4G's gps problem, I thought I read that simply flashing Gingerbread would do the trick, so I followed the instructions, and all seems to be going weel. I think maybe that GPS bit was wrong, but that's a bit besides the point.

I'm hoping there's a simple solution to this, besides starting over or going back to the old operating system. Keep in mind, it's now 5 AM, and I barely knew what I was doing before, so I hope I'm making sense. If the phone would just work the way it's supposed to, I wouldn't have had to get into this mess in the first place...

THANKS

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Which ROM are you using? I know it's Gingerbread, but is it CM7 (CyanogenMod)? When you install a new ROM you will always loose all the phones information because a factory reset is needed. This includes all apps and settings. You can backup most everything with Titanium Backup or Mybackup Pro before you install a new ROM and restore the files.

If you no longer have the Market app then this means you installed an aosp (android open source project) ROM. You need to find the gapps file (google apps) and flash that to the phone. Re-download Titanium Backup and restore what you saved.

The Google Apps file can be found under the download ROM tab. Hope this helps, let me know if you get it up and running.

edit - The Titanium Backup files are stored on the sd card. Be careful not to delete this file if you want to restore.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzzvariety

zzzvariety

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
that helps. I backed up everything on Titanium the day before I did this, but backed up everything as part of ROM Manager's installer - thus it was backed up right before I installed - so I'd like to try using ROM Manager.

I did still have the Market app, (and a that crappy Sprint bloatware back, btw), so I downloaded ROM Manager.

Problem now; I reinstalled ROM Manager, and when I clicked to Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, it only offered me Galaxy S i9000 as an option. I re-rooted and installed what should have been CWM3 by running "One Click Root & CWM 3.0.2.5 for the Epic 4G", in my Mac's Terminal, but still, it did not recognize the Clockwork; it only gave me Galaxy S i9000 as an option.

I clicked Galaxy S i9000, and it installed ClockworkMod 2.5.1.2

Should I do the work around I read about online about how to rename your "recovery-3.xxx.img" to your current clockworkmod-2xxx.img?

If so, will I loose my root, my ROM or my clockwork or any of my data? Urgh! This is only a little fun; mostly I just want this phone to do what it's supposed to :)

Here's what Terminal gave me when running "One Click Root & CWM 3.0.2.5 for the Epic 4G"

Press any key to continue...Starting adb server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Mount system as r/w, cleanup old files, do some basic configuration
rm failed for /system/bin/playlogo, No such file or directory
failed on '/system/bin/playlogo-orig' - No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/playlogo: No such file or directory
318 KB/s (4793 bytes in 0.014s)
rm failed for /system/app/Asphalt5_DEMO_ANMP_Samsung_D700_Sprint_ML.apk, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/app/FreeHDGameDemos.apk, No such file or directory
Copying files onto phone...
516 KB/s (26264 bytes in 0.049s)
1071 KB/s (196521 bytes in 0.179s)
2352 KB/s (927544 bytes in 0.384s)
8 KB/s (327 bytes in 0.037s)
Setting permissions...
Installing busybox...
Installing clockworkmod recovery...
519 KB/s (66884 bytes in 0.125s)
2840 KB/s (5478824 bytes in 1.883s)
Cleaning up files...
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp/root.sh, No such file or directory
All done!

zzzvariety

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
OK, I tried the work around to rename the clockworkmod -- I changed the name of recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.2-galaxys.zip to recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.2-galaxys.zip.OLD and changed the clockworkmod3 to have the 2.5.1.2 recovery instead.

Now, when I try to restore any backups I've done by clicking Manage and Restore Backups and selecting the backup I did earlier, it doesn't launch under ClockworkMod anymore, just goes to the standard blue font.

Android system recovery <3e> and simply tells me
"E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

what's up??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan