Change Android Man

luvshertorch

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
When someone calls and they don't have a picture and the Android man shows up... is there anyway to change that? I really would like to change it to this picture.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted the image can be altered to be the default picture for all calls. It requires a system edit.

I don't think it can be done another way.

StormyHeather

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I know that on my DX if I go into Contacts, select the contact I want to add a picture to, select Edit from the menu (mine is the button on the bottom of the phone) and press the box where the picture goes. From there, I can select, "Take Photo," "Use Existing Photo,' and "Remove Photo."

I have added logos for restaurants, smileys for people and other clip art. I don't know if it is the same or not for your phones.

I can also add custom ring-tones for some of my contacts, too. That can be done while editing the contact, too.

Hope this helps.

luvshertorch

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yea I im not worried about the people that are in my contact list... This is for people that call me that I dont have their number that I want to change the picture that comes up.

IconBoy

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
On an HTC Android phone, the default Contacts/People image is located in the HtcContacts.apk file located in \System\App folder. (If you copy the APK file to your computer and rename the extension as ZIP, you can then browse the files inside the "zip" file.)

You will find it in res\drawable-hdpi\people_home_defaultphoto.png
peoplehomedefaultphoto.png

The default incoming call image is located in the Phone.apk file located in \System\App folder.
You will find it in res\drawable-hdpi\phone_default.png
phonedefault.png

The images may vary depending on phone model. These are the pics from an EVO.
As to how you would copy the changed APK files back to the device, I am not sure because I am guessing the Phone.apk and HtcContacts.apk files are running while the device is on ? not 100% sure.
Hope this helps!

IconBoy

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hooray...I was able to copy both of my above mentioned files back to /System/App using Root Explorer. You can also try this method: Push .apk to /system/app/

When I restarted, I never saw a change in the default Contacts/People icon :( but the incoming phone image did change :)
I had some Force Close issues but was able to use Root Explorer to change the files to the correct permissions. That solved the FC errors.
snap20110601013655.png

The only edit I made to the screenshot was to change the incoming number but the new Android pic popped up when the call came in :D

Will play around and see if I can figure how to change the default Contact icon. Attached is my new incoming call pic. Hope this helps.

luvshertorch

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
that is great! i really like the pic... but my android isnt rooted and i dont plan on rooting it cause im to scared i will mess it up and wont be able to fix it.

IconBoy

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
...my android isnt rooted and i dont plan on rooting it cause im to scared i will mess it up and wont be able to fix it.
I was in the same boat as you. I was concerned I'd mess things up. I've rooted and unrooted a few times.
The features I have from rooting far outweigh staying unrooted. Go for it. What phone d'you have? There's many of us here who will help you!
Edit: Oops, I see you have Inspire 4G

luvshertorch

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I will give it a look... But still nervous as hell about rooting. There are only a few things as of right now that rooting would help but no enough for me just yet to mess with.. But thanks for all the help !

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I will give it a look... But still nervous as hell about rooting. There are only a few things as of right now that rooting would help but no enough for me just yet to mess with.. But thanks for all the help !

If you are worried about rooting wait it out for a while until development catches up and an easier method to root is released.

funk64#AC

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to this Android thing and I don't really like the Android man either so I may have to look into rooting if its possible for the Evo 3D. The one thing I miss about WebOS already, it was so open and easy but I am lovin this phone after just one day so.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae