Installing a fresh copy of Windows XP from an Android device (Some Questions)

eG00N

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I have some old computers that I have given to some of my family members that have unfortunately gotten a few viruses. I would like to install a fresh copy of Windows XP on them. One of them is a laptop, and does not have a CD Drive, so I did a quick Google search and found that I could boot up Windows XP from a USB drive.

As you probably know, Android phones have the feature of acting as a USB drive (I think). I was planning on using this software called "WinToFlash" in order to transfer the Windows XP image from my disk to my phone's USB storage. However, I am worried that this may cause some problems with my phone. Does anyone know if this should work? Since I have a Nexus S, and it has internal storage, the WinToFlash program says it's going to wipe all the data on the USB drive (the phone). Though I don't really mind losing any of the data I have on my phone, will this be safe, and if anything happens, should I be able to fix it through a soft reset of the phone?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Just by the flash drive.

While I wouldn't think it would hurt anything, keep in mind that everytime the USB port reinitialized, the phone would un-mount the storage. In other words, when you reboot your computer to boot off the USB, you would have to tell your phone to "mount the USB storage" and by that point, you're system is booting back off the harddrive.

However, if your laptops are old, they might not even support booting off of the USB...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton