Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Canadian ROMs

Default "Delta" updates for Android?

Hey everyone,

I was watching over the whole Apple Keynote from WWDC, and they had a lot of talk about "Delta" updates. These are updates which only change the specific code of something that has been modified, but keeping the rest of the code intact.

I was thinking that if Google were to start releasing Delta updates for all Android software updates, it could fix fragmentation. Google would send out the updates with slightly modified code to everyone, and the OEM's and Carriers would let the update go through, but not changing any of the skinning that Samsung, SE, HTC, LC, etc. have added onto the software. If carriers or OEM's want to add features, like updating from Sense 1.0 to 2.0, they can just release that update separately from Google.

I'm only a 14 year old guy with an idea, so I'd like to know what anyone else has to say about that. Developers? Google employees? People with experience?
    Current Devices:
    BlackBerry Bold 9780 (TELUS) with OS 6
    Samsung Fascinate 3G+ (TELUS) with Froyo 2.2
    Motorola XOOM (WiFi) on 3.0.1

Ancient Devices:
    HTC Hero (TELUS) with hacked European Eclair 2.1
    BlackBerry Bold 9000 (Rogers, Unlocked)
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,002 Global Posts

That's exactly what Android's been doing all this time. Only updating what needs to be updated. That is how your data remains intact without having to sync to a computer (and restore) first, like you've had to do on iOS.

Global Posts
    7,306 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Phil couldn't have said it better. The problems are with upgrades to large OS jumps. Say, from 2.2 to 2.3. The manufacturer needs to make sure their "overlay" will remain intact. This I why it take a long for the update to be pushed. Not to mention the carrier who must approve the update.

I'm gonna talk about your other idea
    Download a custom Sense ROM, or TW, or Blur, or LG's new OptimusUI. Look in the framework folder. You'll see that a good bit of Android has been changed in here. And it's not open sourced, so only the manufacturer can update it

I understand WHY they do it. We'll use HTC Sense contacts as an example -- they can either write a custom contacts app, a custom sync adapter, a custom HTC Peep>>Contacts sync pipe (same for Facebook), and replace the standard Android contacts app with it all. Or they can drop the code changes in the normal Android framework, and rewrite it. They are doing it the right way (IMO), but just don't have the right setup to keep track with plain old Vanilla Android. I would not want their job.

But until the slow updates affect their bottom line, they won't change what isn't broken. I don't blame them at all. It's a business decision, and the right one I think.

Edit: I almost forgot. Nerd points for being interested in this stuff at your age. Restores a little of my faith in humanity
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Canadian ROMs

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    Edit: I almost forgot. Nerd points for being interested in this stuff at your age. Restores a little of my faith in humanity
    Thanks for that

Also, why doesn't HTC just make Sense like ADW Launcher is on my Fascinate, and then add the extra People apps instead of Contacts, hide Contacts, but still keep it remaining on the phone? If they kept every single line of code that is in the OS framework the exact same, then they could push up updates much much faster.
    Current Devices:
    BlackBerry Bold 9780 (TELUS) with OS 6
    Samsung Fascinate 3G+ (TELUS) with Froyo 2.2
    Motorola XOOM (WiFi) on 3.0.1

Ancient Devices:
    HTC Hero (TELUS) with hacked European Eclair 2.1
    BlackBerry Bold 9000 (Rogers, Unlocked)
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

You forget about the carriers,

remember, when they get updates, they will undoubtedly change things as they see fit. If we got updates, like from say, htc, it would be great. Unfortunately, we don't. For the US, is has to go through the carriers first. Manipulation of code, another alpha and beta testing period, then, maybe it gets released.

If they would relese, say ADW launcher, you couldn't imagine the legalities behind it. Not to mention, the testors who have to do testing to make sure all concievable permutations work well.

Kudos to you for thinking in this way. I wish some smart heads would figgure out a better method. But due to the compexity of all the different configurations of hardware and software, there is no way.