[How-to] How to Update CyanogenMod 7

huskermania

Jun 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone!

I've been getting a lot of questions on YouTube regarding how to update CyanogenMod 7 on the Nook Color. Instead of creating a version specifically for that device, I created a general tutorial that can be followed by anyone with a CM7 supported device.

For your convenience, I've embedded my YouTube video which demonstrates how to do this. If you learn better by seeing the steps in action, I'd recommend that you view the video first, then read this afterward.

Requirement:

1) Your device must be rooted and already running Cyanogenmod 7.

Step 1- Download the updated CM7 ROM for your device.

Click here > Select your device from the list > Click "Stable Mod" > Select the latest version of CM7. The latest version will always appear at the top of the list.

[NOTE]You don't need to download the Google Apps pack or be concerned about losing any of your apps. They will not be affected.[/NOTE]

Step 2- Download & install Dropbox on your computer.

[NOTE]We'll be using Dropbox to transfer the updated ROM from our computer to the device. (You don't necessarily have to use Dropbox. You can use a USB cable to transfer the ROM to the SD card or you could just download the ROM directly from the browser. This is just how I do it.)[/NOTE]

Step 3- Transfer the updated CM7 ROM from your downloads folder to Dropbox.

attachment.php

Step 4- Open ROM Manager on your device > Tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery > Select/ confirm your device model > Allow the Superuser request. After a few moments, you should see that it has successfully flashed ClockworkMod Recovery. Tap OK.

attachment.php

Step 5- Download Dropbox to your device.

Step 6- Open Dropbox. Locate and tap on the updated CM7 ROM. Once you tap on it, it'll start downloading onto your device.

attachment.php

Step 7- When the file finishes downloading, ROM Manager will automatically open with a window titled "ROM Pre-installation". Inside of this window are (generally) two options: Backup Existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache. Select Backup Existing ROM > OK. You can also select Wipe Dalvik Cache if it shows up for you. If it doesn't, it's no big deal.

attachment.php

[WARN]Do not select Wipe Data and Cache, as this basically acts as a factory reset. You will lose all your data if you select this. You'll also have to reinstall the Google Apps pack.[/WARN]

[NOTE]If ROM Manager did not appear after the file finished downloading, manually open ROM Manager > Install ROM from SD Card, then locate and tap on the updated ROM file.[/NOTE]

Your device will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. Right away, it will create a backup of your device. After that, it will install the new version of CyanogenMod 7. Once those tasks have finished, you're phone will reboot with the newest version of CyanogenMod 7.

----------

If you're unhappy with the new version of CyanogenMod 7, you can always roll back to whatever you were running before. That's why I had you backup the device before the update. To restore your device to the way it was before we did anything, press and hold the power button > Reboot > Recovery. Your device will now boot into CWR. Once it boots, scroll down to Backup and Restore > Restore and then select the backup on the bottom of the list. Once it's done, select reboot system now. Now your device will reboot with the older version of CM7. It'll be like nothing ever happened.

attachment.php

----------

There's a much easier and less involved way to updating CM7 through the Premium version of ROM Manager. It's around $6 in the Market, but it allows you to check for updates, download the new version of CM7, and everything else I described above directly in the app. No transferring of files from computer to device. Generally, people don't want to spend that much money on an app, so that's why I didn't cover it right away.

attachment.php

Hope this helped!

<3 Alex

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

cyoung0711

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I partitioned my 4gb sd card with 2gb left in FAT32 for any apps. running NC 1.3 with cm7 stable from sd after watching Crash Tech Dummies Episode 55 youtube vidoe - b/c I didn't want cm7 on emmc. only now because of 'force closures' I'm trying to unzip manual nooter 4.5 and 4.6 from GabrialDestruir xda -manual nooter 1.2 1.3- thread but now I cannot find them through CWR. OH YEA, NOOB here if you couldn't tell. Fix Permissions didn't stop 'force close' and for being overclocked at 1100 runs very slow. any help would be most appreciated or just tell me to not quit my day job. thanks.

guynell

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
The recent update now notifies me when I get a text message, which is good, but also every email, not good. I need the texts, but get 100sa of emails. Talking about annoying. Can I turn off just the email notification?notification

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Is 4G hotspot working on non-CM ROMs? Have you tried searching in the Evo thread to see if it's an isolated issue or a feature that isn't available in CM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC