Trying to update HTC Aria to Froyo, and get error 120, battery less than 30%

youzerfriendly

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Solution

How to fix error [120] error 120 on your HTC when trying to update to android 2.2

1) charge your battery up on a non-USB connection. all the way
2) let the phone sit, battery out for a few minutes
3) connect your phone using the USB connector. In the notifications box, drag down and set the phone to disk drive mode.
4) go into settings->applications->development and turn USB debugging ON
5) Run ROM

Worked for me, after countless attempts, combinations and phone time w/ HTC, who didn't come up with this combination, it was all me :)

Reactions: bayreaman

bayreaman

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Trying to update HTC Aria to Froyo, and get error 120, batter

Hi youzerfriendly,
Thank you for posting these steps to upgrade. Iam still having trouble with these steps and I think i did not understand the steps clearly.
In step 2 do you mean to say I should take out the battery from the phone and let it sit for awhile?
After that should I run the rom on my PC while the phone is connected in disk drive mode? What about htc sync?

many thanks for your help
ash

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

This, will depend on what recovery you use. Rooted, Rommed, etc.

On mine, when I boot to recovery, I select Recovery, Advanced, Wipe Battery Stats. This should clear most issues.

bayreaman

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply Moscow. I wanted to try this without rooting first. I was finally able to do it on a different laptop. I was originally trying this on a windows 7 which kept giving that error. I tried this again on a Vista laptop and it worked !

outsifder

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

I had the same problem - 120 error with a fully charged battery (updating with a windows 7 pc) I tried the tips above - still didn't work. Tried to update with an XP pc and got a 170 error.

After reading bayreman's post tried it with a Vista pc my daughter had. Worked fine the first time. Who says Vista is good for nothing.

Thanks for the help.

Tsuyoku

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

Just talked to the HTC guy about the error. He said he'd gotten an email just this morning with a new way of getting past the error.

Running Windows 7:

Make sure battery is over 30% (but that's why we're here, isn't it? It IS over 30%)
Turn phone off
Take battery out for a minute, then replace the battery
DO NOT turn phone back on
Plug into USB
Hold VOL DOWN button and press the power button for 5 Seconds but don't let go of VOL button
Make sure the choice FASTBOOT is highlighted and press the power button to select it
You should see FASTBOOTUSB up top
Stay on this screen while you go to your computer
Exit HTC Sync if it's running, wait a minute, then open HTC Sync again, see if it connects
(Mine didn't connect to sync, but I left the window open in the bkgrd)
Open the updater and go through the steps.
Update should begin without error message.

Hope this works for you guys.
I tired countless ways to do it before breaking down and calling in. This way worked the first time for me.

TYK

Last edited:

kismoore

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

thanku so much for the info and the easy to understand steps. worked like a charm! now i can go back to my mac and my missing sync.:D

kismoore

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

look up the steps set by
Member:
Tsuyoku

the steps worked perfectly. i've been trying dif things for months. this is the one that worked.:D

logiclb

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I love you Tsuyoku. I've been stuck on this problem for hours now. Your easy to follow instructions made my day. Thank you.

Just talked to the HTC guy about the error. He said he'd gotten an email just this morning with a new way of getting past the error.

Running Windows 7:

Make sure battery is over 30% (but that's why we're here, isn't it? It IS over 30%)
Turn phone off
Plug into USB
Hold VOL DOWN button and press the power button for 5 Seconds but don't let go of VOL button
Make sure the choice FASTBOOT is highlighted and press the power button to select it
Exit HTC Sync if it's running, wait a minute, then open HTC Sync again, see if it connects

I tired countless ways to do it before breaking down and calling in. This way worked the first time for me.

TYK

evoroot

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Running Windows 7:

Turn phone off
Plug into USB

TYK
Thanks so much for that info, I've been trying stuff for days to get the phone un-bricked and this worked YEESSS!!!!! :D

noCodeMonkeys

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site

Have HTC One X; Running Win 7

HTC system apparently reports error 120 incorrectly including instances that have nothing whatever to do with the battery. The work around for me was to set my computer to never sleep or hibernate. This is a requirement so that your computer does not go to sleep in the middle of the update.

1. On PC go to control panel/power and look for sleep and/or hibernate settings and set them to never.
2. Set phone connection to Disk drive (not positive if this is required but it worked for me)
3. Set USB debugging to on (not positive if this is required but it worked for me)
4. Run the update program from your PC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci