deleted SMS database file through windows explorer?

TheEndIsNear

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I mounted my phone (galaxy s) and decided to do a little cleaning up of the files. For some reason I decided to delete every folder I could see in windows explorer except the 'Android' folder which didnt seem to have anything in it. I then put the phone in a drawer and left on an overseas trip. Now that I think back there was some information I would have preferred not to delete in the form of text messages. I hear that deleted texts are not easily recovered and that the sms database is located somewhere in '/data' Is that '/data' folder inside the 'Android' folder or was it on the top layer that I deleted along with everything else?

Is my SMS data gone? I can live without it I'm just annoyed with myself. I realize how easy this would be to check once I got the phone back in my hand but I'll be gone a while and now this is bugging me so I was hoping someone here would know. Thanks everyone.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You're buggared.

You have to be careful what you delete from internal memory. Generally, it's not a good practice to do so.
Having an android phone, is like having a pc. The same rules apply. And that includes current backups. You need to get an app, that will synch your info, to at least your local pc.

Several are available on the market. A weekly synch/backup, is usual.

We all learn this lesson.....

TheEndIsNear

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Im confused, Takeshi seemed to indicate my data was safe but Moscow feels the data is gone? Or am I misreading Takeshi's post? What Moscow says makes a lot of sense.

I appreciate the help either way.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Im confused, Takeshi seemed to indicate my data was safe but Moscow feels the data is gone? Or am I misreading Takeshi's post? What Moscow says makes a lot of sense.

I appreciate the help either way.

I think what Tash was saying, is that, your sms database, is typically kept on internal ph memory. Not SD. At least in most normal cases. And if you for example, flash a custom ROM, reset to factory, you will lose it. And it typically cannot be recovered. With an SD card, it can be a little bit easier to recover, but you have to have specific tools. And a good knowledge of the file management system.

The fact is, you deleted the sms database. Regardless of where it was stored.

Lesson learned, as in to do backups on these things. Believe me, all of this has this happened, probably more than once, to most of us seasoned vetrens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance