Podcast management

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm pretty new to Android, just bought an Evo 3D, and I'm trying to figure out my podcast solution. I'm a very active listener of podcasts, but probably a somewhat peculiar one, as I have tons of archived podcasts that I'm trying to get through and not just listen to whatever the latest shows are.

Essentially, what I've been doing is keeping everything in iTunes, which to me is an ideal manager except that it's PC-based, and geared towards Apple devices. Still, I've been able to sync with it to my Palm Pre for the last two years (via Salling Media Sync). Salling doesn't seem to work on my Evo 3D, and so I need to figure out other options.

I know I could try out something like iSyncr to do this, and may end up going that route.

I also have Google Music Beta and Amazon running and all or most of my content is on these, but the problem (challenge) is the playlists, particularly smart playlists, that I use extensively.

I have a smart playlist that gives me all my podcasts under a specific time, sorted by time length, which is how I like to listen - try to get the "easy" ones out of the way first. But then I have smart playlists for each show sorted by how recent the show is, so that when/if I get done with the time playlist, I can go to one of the shorter show-based playlists.

What I guess I'm looking for is something that can a) download older episodes of shows, not just the last 10, and b) has smart-playlist like functionality built in, so I don't have to constantly construct playlists manually in the app.

Of course I'd love a cloud-based solution, but it seems that neither Google Music nor Amazon Cloud Drive will sync smart playlists at this time. Stitcher is interesting, but doesn't give you any control of how you listen, sorting, etc.

On the non-cloud side, it looks like Beyond Pod might be the most configurable in this regard, but I'm a bit leary of putting down $7 just to find out that it doesn't suit my (admittedly challenging) requirements.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

SnyperX

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I have only used Googled Listen and BeyondPod. BeyondPod is easily my app of choice and it will create playlists of the recently downloaded podcasts and jump from one to the next when it ends if you so choose. BeyondPod also has a 7 day full use trial that so you can test it out before dropping the 7 bucks. Doggcatcher is another big one but I have no experience with.

The Amazon free app of the day is a "newish" but slick looking one that I'm going to check out, but I have no idea how well it works or any of that. But it's free today so wouldn't hurt to test it out. It is called Pocket Casts Amazon.com: Appstore for Android

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have only used Googled Listen and BeyondPod. BeyondPod is easily my app of choice and it will create playlists of the recently downloaded podcasts and jump from one to the next when it ends if you so choose. BeyondPod also has a 7 day full use trial that so you can test it out before dropping the 7 bucks. Doggcatcher is another big one but I have no experience with.

The Amazon free app of the day is a "newish" but slick looking one that I'm going to check out, but I have no idea how well it works or any of that. But it's free today so wouldn't hurt to test it out. It is called Pocket Casts Amazon.com: Appstore for Android

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded Pocketcast and it's pretty nice but I had some issues with it. Mainly had problems with it forcing close on my Evo 3D when I got to the end of a track. I'm not sure also if it even has the ability to play a string of podcasts in a row, but makes you click on each one individually? Apparently they are coming out with a playlist feature, so hopefully that will solve it, but we'll see. Right now it's not very usable do to the error though...

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, finally downloaded and started playing with BeyondPod, and I'm more than impressed! It's really an excellent app with tons of features and highly configurable. I'll definitely be buying the paid version. There are a couple of small things I wish it did differently but they are very minor. Thanks everyone for the help!