1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Default Angry about Google blocking movies on rooted devices?

Supercurio (the developer responsible for Voodoo sound/color on many devices) has started a thread in the Market help forums for us to voice our opinions on this subject. Go here, and let Google know how you feel about this. (Also, read his post. He brings up some great points about how pointless this security is).

I have no idea how much good this will do, but it's worth a try. Google needs to know that punishing the many for the actions of a few is unacceptable.

Looks like there's already a work around for watching rentals on rooted phones. You'll see links tomorrow. Its all over twitter.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

Default Re: Angry about Google blocking movies on rooted devices?

This is just another form of DRM, and like all forms of DRM it is completely ineffective at stopping piracy and serves only to punish legitimate users who have done nothing wrong. I'm angry at the MPAA for pressuring Google to do this, and at Google for giving in to them. I've said before that I don't actually intend to ever rent movies from the Market (though that will likely change when/if I get a tablet) but that isn't the point. As a root user I hate it when root users are targeted and punished for the entirely legal action of rooting they're devices. Oh well. There is already a workaround, and hopefully Google will rethink things in the future (though I'm not counting on it).
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.

I don't see why companies continue to use DRM. It is nothing more than a tiny roadblock.

If anything I'm surprised it took this long.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

I would rent a movie if it was in the theater or a live event like on ppv. I have has direct TV for 12-14 years and I think I have rentex 3-4 movies in that time and 2-3 of them were the kids renting them when I was not home.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now again

Don't be mad at Google. This was a MPAA and movie studio requirement for Google to offer movie rentals. When you really think about it people who don't root or even know what root is far outweigh us who do root our phones. Google like every other company wants to make the majority happy. We all must stop thinking about this like everyone roots their phone because we are a very small portion of the Android pie. If you were the CEO of a company and the only way to make money was to **** off a small portion of users and make the larger portion happy you would be a bad CEO if you didn't. Google needs to make money so that they can keep giving us Android. Sorry to sound harsh but remember we are the minority, we are not the core users.

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

im sure the devs will figure it out
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button