Have smartphones gotten fast enough?

Scaz

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I was lucky enough to be able to get my hands on a sgs2 a couple of days after launch and have been using it pretty compulsively ever since. It struck me today that on the performance of side of the user experience I have so far never been irritated by the phone. I would say that any device I have owned before be it laptop, pc or even games console has had some feature that would of benefited from some beefier hardware. I can only assume that other similarly specced phones perform as slickly on android. This would lead me to ask whether the cpu race that will enevitably continue will actually effect the end user experience in any tangible way? The same could I think also be said of the screen dpi obsession that seems to be going on, I mean soon you'll have to be very close to the screen to notice the extra dpi.

Anyway just some thoughts, i'm new to the forums and have just started listening to the podcast. Also I appologise if this is in the wrong section I couldn't see any that really seemed right.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, I agree that at some point there's diminishing returns. Eventually the screen is so clear that it's hard to tell the difference, even though technically the resolution may be improving. Similarly, at some point the difference in running apps becomes trivial.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, I agree that at some point there's diminishing returns. Eventually the screen is so clear that it's hard to tell the difference, even though technically the resolution may be improving. Similarly, at some point the difference in running apps becomes trivial.

You just reminded me of the Vibrant commercial where the people at the restaurant see a spider and smash the phone. Lol