Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Perfect time for Google to buy RIM.

The 4G version on the Blackberry Playbook has just been dropped by Sprint. Is this not the perfect time for Google to make an offer to RIM?

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

Um, no.

RIM is putting all their eggs in the upcoming QNX phone basket. If those bomb majorly, and I mean it is a complete disaster, then maybe RIM would be desperate enough to do it. But you are dealing with a very proud canadian company with two completely oblivious CEOs (If you look at some of the things they have said...they lack all grip on reality).

Google would benefit greatly from their acquisition, but it's not going to come that easy, if at all.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Perfect time for Google to buy RIM.

All Google needs to do is offer a few billion dollars and the San Jose Sharks and RIM would sell in a heart beat.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

If I was google, I would buy them for the exclusive rights to Blackberry Messenger and any patents/IP's they got.
    Last edited by Colclutz; 08-13-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: adding another point.

No. For the love of all that is good, NO.

The patents have value. The products have no value. Everyone has to be patient and let RIM run out their $1 billion in cash first.

Just wait for Nokia and RIM values to drop another 75% by this winter, then buy them for patents, close down operations, and sell any other assets you can.
    — Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards — Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

You can probably scratch Nokia off the list because MS will buy them just for the patents before Nokia goes out of business.

OK, so maybe buy RIM now?

The problem is that it is like trying to save a drowning person. You have to wait for them to be almost dead otherwise they are so wired they can kill you.
    — Milo
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I don't know how you can integrate the best security with open source? But I would love to create my own themes again with out having to root.

no. waste of money at this valuation. let it die and then pick up a few scraps from the dead carcass for pennies on the dollar. i'm thinking pick up a few patents - but not any of the employees and/or canadians that drove the company into oblivion.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

But Blackberry is a big name in business. My company will not switch to Android because of the security. So you would need to buy the name and security and BB messenger. Everything else you could scrap.

As Google just showed with Motorola, you got to buy them up before anyone else does.

Motorola's market cap was $8B and Google got it for $12.5B. But 5.5B is cash assets = $7B real cost for 25,000 patents.

RIMM's market cap is 14B so it would take an offer of maybe 18B with 1B in cash.

Motorola was ripe for the picking. RIMM's stick price has to drop at least another 65%.

Give it until February and then someone will buy it.
    — Milo

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts

Also remember blackberry is supposedly popular in uk and middle eastern countries. They may not be as willing to sell out with the good overseas market. I mean blackberry is so popular it sparked a riot in the uk..... Ok it really didn't but it helped. But if android doesn't gobble up rim if they go bust then apple will and there will be more idiotic lawsuits that do nothing but block innovation and try to crush apples competition.
    But if rim's stock holders kick mike and jim to the curb, then put a person with imagination at the helm im sure rim could probably gain back its fame. Maybe even crush apple and android but thats going far, atleast if anything put windows mobile and hp in the dumpster were they belong. Rim really just needs that omgwtf!!! This is a bb? Phone.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drethos; 08-17-2011 at 06:36 PM.
    Devices: Blackberry torch 9800 (retired), Motorola Xoom (returned), Blackberry PlayBook (sold), iPad2 (returned), Samsung galaxy tab 10.1, Samsung infuse