Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default according to CNN, Google to acquire Motorola Mobility

What does that mean for the rest of the manufacturers?
    Jet300 and I-Love-The-DInc like this.

Default Re: according to CNN, Google to acquire Motorola Mobility

It means that Google now possesses all Motorola's patents to fight lawsuits as well as the ability to manufacture their own phone lines. This would definitely explain them unlocking future phones bootloaders!!

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

Agree with wood. Also, this is probably the main brand that will carry the future nexus phones.

I know they stated in their Press Release they are keeping Android open but what are the chances that they actually close it and become a one platform one hardware mobile service like Apple and RIM? Wouldn't this be better for Android as a whole?
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GenTsoChicken View Post
    I know they stated in their Press Release they are keeping Android open but what are the chances that they actually close it and become a one platform one hardware mobile service like Apple and RIM? Wouldn't this be better for Android as a whole?
    no. in the long run - open wins, closed loses.

EDIT: Sale won't be final until late 2011/early 2012 per Google's PR. So we may not see stock Moto phones until early/mid next year unless they agreed to start building stuff for Google now. But the next Nexus is probably a lock for Moto.

Several big changes coming to Android:

- Blur is almost certainly dead. The Bionic might be the last Blur device unless Google wants to delay it to put stock Gingerbread on it (which would be sickkkkk)
    - Google can now bundle their (formerly Moto's) patent library with their Google Apps for Android. This does a couple things - makes sure OEMs use Google Apps, and gives Google more power to regulate skins and stuff like that.
    - Google is now an OEM. They can compete with Apple and others directly in hardware and software (as well as software as a service). People will now literally be able to buy a "Google phone" much like the iPhone is an "Apple phone"
    - If I had to guess, Google will be much more forgiving with allowing people to root/ROM their phones than Moto is. We could really see an explosion of hacking support for new Moto devices.
    - How will other OEMs like HTC and Samsung respond? They may not like Google providing their software and competing in hardware sales, but they may not have a choice. WP7 simply isn't a good enough competitor (right now). And besides, Nokia basically is a 1st party manufacturer so its hard to see them jumping the Android ship.

Man, I can not WAIT to get a stock, dual-core, LTE Moto/Google phone on Verizon this fall. I'll buy it unlocked, I don't care. MAKE IT HAPPEN GOOGLE! <3

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

The question is which company will Microsoft buy just to stay in the phone business?

Wow, talk about waking up to news. This is huge. I still wonder if Google will think about buying RIM?

Sent from my Tbolt using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JFetch View Post
    The question is which company will Microsoft buy just to stay in the phone business?
    Nokia and maybe BlackBerry.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matthew2109 View Post
    Wow, talk about waking up to news. This is huge. I still wonder if Google will think about buying RIM?

Sent from my Tbolt using Tapatalk
    Microsoft is rumored to be buying RIM. With this news, expect someone to jump on it soon. This might start a race.

Microsoft is rumored to be buying RIM. With this news, expect someone to jump on it soon. This might start a race.
    RIM makes sense for Microsoft as they both focus pretty heavily on the business market. Welcome to the world of vertical integration.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None Yet...

This is sorta good news!

I hope the first thing they do when they tke them over is axe Motoblur. Not a fan of that UI. If they release Moto phones with the stock Android only then I may look into their phones when my contract is up!

Either way its pretty good news. I just hope they treat the other companies really well. People like HTC and Samsung has done a lot for them. They still have others that release really good hardware and UI's.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Andromadus Mimicry

Jesus guys, rim is not being bought out anytime soon. I would like to start the rumor that Kraft Foods is buying Apple. Go internet!!

Google did this strictly for the patents, not to have their own manufacturing wing. Hopefully this doesn't intimidate htc and samsung.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    13,381 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by NoSpin View Post
    Jesus guys, rim is not being bought out anytime soon. I would like to start the rumor that Kraft Foods is buying Apple. Go internet!!

Google did this strictly for the patents, not to have their own manufacturing wing. Hopefully this doesn't intimidate htc and samsung.

Don't worry, HTC and Samsung will be ok considering Google is still going to support Android as an open source and these two companies are well established.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,995 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOSP, & stock.

You are so wrong. You know patents can be bought and sold alone right? Do you really think they bought a manufacturing sect and make a OS that can be implemented, but have no plans or desires too? They just wanted the patents? No sir, I disagree to the very core of your statement. I do think the deep patents were a driving force though.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

They might not have a choice if they keep releasing failures.
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,236 Global Posts

"Two turkeys do not make an Eagle".

Well... in the end, even Google couldn't stand to look at Motoblur, and had to do something...

Quote Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence View Post
    Well... in the end, even Google couldn't stand to look at Motoblur, and had to do something...
    Lol. +1

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Andromadus Mimicry

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    You are so wrong. You know patents can be bought and sold alone right? Do you really think they bought a manufacturing sect and make a OS that can be implemented, but have no plans or desires too? They just wanted the patents? No sir, I disagree to the very core of your statement. I do think the deep patents were a driving force though.
    And I'm a firm believer that while making their own devices might benefit Google, they were not looking for an OEM. In the disgusting patent world, they saw a struggling Motorola with a treasure chest of patents, and said "let's do it". In the short term, it benefits Android. Should later on Google decide they want to make their own line of phones directly, they CAN.

Google does this all the time, buy a company, and maybe down the road they figure out a use for them. Only in this case they gain both long term and short term benefits. My bet is that Google will be the absent parent company, Moto will operate as they are now (maybe even Blur intact), but should Google want something down the road, they can have it.

Also explains the canned responses from HTC, LG, and Samsung. Google explained, we aren't your competition guys, just doing this to protect you.
    headbuzz and atlantar6 like this.

Potentially, the best cellular industry deal I've read about in awhile.The only shadow I could see would be Google deciding to make Motorola the sole provider of future Nexus devices.

Carrier
    SS 5.5/Stl Drd 8.0/PE 6.5

huge win/win!!! Google's business model/strategy + Moto's hardware = all win!

let's all give Sanjay Jha a big round of applause for bumbling his way along, and making Moto vulnerable for acquisition. ...and then give him a big wave good-bye, and don't let the door hit him in the arse on his way out!!!

And I'm a firm believer that while making their own devices might benefit Google, they were not looking for an OEM. In the disgusting patent world, they saw a struggling Motorola with a treasure chest of patents, and said "let's do it". In the short term, it benefits Android. Should later on Google decide they want to make their own line of phones directly, they CAN.

Google does this all the time, buy a company, and maybe down the road they figure out a use for them. Only in this case they gain both long term and short term benefits. My bet is that Google will be the absent parent company, Moto will operate as they are now (maybe even Blur intact), but should Google want something down the road, they can have it.

Also explains the canned responses from HTC, LG, and Samsung. Google explained, we aren't your competition guys, just doing this to protect you.
    +1
    This is exactly right. The #1 reason for this was Motorola's patents. Yes, patents can be sold but why buy a bag of apples when you can have the whole orchard. Motorola Mobility will stay the same. Now it's Google...parent company of Motorola Mobility. This does make it easy if they wish to sell Smartphones under the Google name. I personal don't see this happening any time soon if at all.
    NoSpin likes this.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Andromadus Mimicry

Exactly, also important are moto's current pending patents. Now google has all of them, plus a possible manufacturing arm for years down the road. Just cost only a couple billion extra. Must be nice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast