What's the point of an unlocked bootloader when roms still work?

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of ppl been hammering these OEMs for unlocking their phones but it seems that every locked bootloader phone can still flash roms. I think we can stop giving them a hard time now.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: What's the point of an unlocked bootloader when roms still wo

Deeper customizations, such as overclocked kernels.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site

I know a lot of ppl been hammering these OEMs for unlocking their phones but it seems that every locked bootloader phone can still flash roms. I think we can stop giving them a hard time now.

Locked bootloader -> developers spend their time searching for security exploits to root the phone and gain access to all the functions needed to install ROMs and modify the system; users wait a long time before they can install ROMs or root their phone

Unlocked bootloader -> developers/users spend their time developing/porting/installing/using ROMs

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Very true. My Motorola Triumph has a locked bootloader, or at least it did. Rooting it was a simple process of running Gingerbreak, and although the bootloader was "locked" we found a method of getting around it soon after. ROMs followed for that love-deprived device shortly after.

Sent from my Frankenphone using Tapatalk

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

The main benefit of unlocked bootloaders is a decrease of soft bricked/bricked devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci