Samsung v Apple means no iPhone 5 for Verizon?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
doubt this means anything as far as the iP5 goes for verizon. its business. apple wans to move as many iphones as possible; pulling them off of big red isnt going to do anything to help them.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
But Apple blocking Samsung from selling phones / tablets in the US is bad for VERIZON's bussiness, and I think that is why Verizon is acting out against apple. Sales figures don't lie, and I think Verizon is starting to come around that they don't need Apple to stay #1.

The way I read the article, Apple is not threatening Verizon, Verizon is taking a stand against Apple...

ozziedog

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
But Apple blocking Samsung from selling phones / tablets in the US is bad for VERIZON's bussiness, and I think that is why Verizon is acting out against apple. Sales figures don't lie, and I think Verizon is starting to come around that they don't need Apple to stay #1.

Glad they are standing up to apple unlike the wh..e AT&T is they give into apple they have pulled info from web site about the coming Samsung Galaxy SII.

The way I read the article, Apple is not threatening Verizon, Verizon is taking a stand against Apple...

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
No worries. I just saw another article that T-Mo filed a "What they said" motion to the same court...

Sent from my SHIFTS3NS3 using Tapatalk

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying Apple would pull the iPhone from Verizon, I think the more likely scenario would be Verizon giving Apple the boot. Like I said, it could be a stretch, but it's nice to know that even "big corporations" are tired of the lawsuit games. I don't hate Apple, and I've owned iPods for years. I would buy a Macbook Pro if I could afford it! But Apple should flew their muscle through innovation instead of litigation. My respect for them wanes daily.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that Apple would pull the iPhone 5 from Verizon.

If you read the article again, you will see that APPLE IS NOT THREATENING TO TAKE THE IPHONE OFF OF VERIZON. VERIZON IS TELLING APPLE TO BACK OFF ON SAMSUNG.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

No, they're not. Read the analysis of it over at Foss patents. FOSS Patents: Largest U.S. wireless carrier Verizon sides with Samsung against Apple, asks court to deny preliminary injunction

Verizon's statement has no legal weight whatsoever. It means nothing. The only reason they did it was because they HAD to do it since Samsung is a partner both in handsets and in their LTE buildout. I'm sorry if you think that Verizon was taking a stand against Apple, because they weren't. Apple has pulled products from partners for lesser infractions, and they haven't done anything yet. And you can bet your butt that Verizon won't be doing ANYTHING to stop iPhone sales considering that the iPhone is the best selling handset on their network.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I read it top to bottom. Samsung is not a partner in the LTE build out. They want Samsung LTE devices on their network. If Apple wins, they don't get those LTE handsets on their network and are loosing out on potential profits. That's why they wrote the position. And so did T-Mo. And as a fun little fact, the court accepted VZW and T-Mo's brief and denied Apple an opportunity to respond.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I read it top to bottom. Samsung is not a partner in the LTE build out. They want Samsung LTE devices on their network. If Apple wins, they don't get those LTE handsets on their network and are loosing out on potential profits. That's why they wrote the position. And so did T-Mo. And as a fun little fact, the court accepted VZW and T-Mo's brief and denied Apple an opportunity to respond.

Samsung is a network partner, along with Motorola, and Nokia-Siemens. They are helping Verizon to build their LTE network.

And, no offense, but you really think that Apple wants Samsung products banned? Of course they don't. They want Samsung to cough up money for infringing on design patents, and change the offending designs (most of which are software related). Samsung's already begun to do that, btw, as newer builds of GSII updates have infringing features removed. Apple's endgame is not blocking Samsung's sales, its the removal of those features and a royalty payment from Samsung.

Go read Foss patent's analysis again; he clearly said Verizon chose the weakest position in their statement. If Verizon really intended for their amicus brief to be anything other than a lip service, they wouldn't have focused on the weakest, and least defensible position for samsung, for their argument. T-mobile's a whole other can of worms; for whatever reason, Apple snubbed them in negotiations for an iPhone, a point that will certainly be hammered home by Apple's lawyers. Oh, and you missed this little nugget that will also certainly be brought up as a reason why Verizon's Amicus shouldn't even be considered: FOSS Patents: Shocker for Android OEMs: Google document proposes giving Motorola time-to-market advantage to build Android "lead devices"

As for Apple's response; what she actually denied was a formal written response because Apple already gave it when the briefs were first given consideration. You bet your ass Apple will tear those briefs to shreds in court.

BUT, all that doesn't change the fact that Verizon and Apple's relationship hasn't changed. If it was as big of a deal as you are making it out to be, Apple would have voided the contract with Verizon and took its iPhones home. Apple doesn't mess around with stuff like this. And you can bet that Verizon's shareholders would be none too pleased that millions of potential iPhone customers went along with them.

Snow02

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
OK Bryan, we need to leave our speculations at our desks... People here are taking this a lot more seriously than I want to.

Like this guy

Link fail. I know the comic though. That's a good one.

And Mueller is a well-known shill. Read his articles knowing he has a bias, and conclude accordingly.

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Its all business. Verizon has not become a good Samaritan suddenly. Its in Verizons interest to have Samsungs products in the market.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon does not NEED Apple. Verizon was the biggest and most reliable carrier prior to getting the iPhone. Apple also doesn't need Verizon as they made millions after millions on the iPhone before it hit Verizon.

The fact remains Apple needs to get off their mighty horse and innovate more rather than takin a year and a half to introduce a faster processor and bigger camera. All the marks in the world that bow to Apple are still buying the 4S for some reason and I wish the courts would smack Apple down and tell them to move on and keep the market fair and to stop trying to bully all competition.