So what does this mean for Android

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung agrees to pay Microsoft royalties for Android | TG Daily

I'm relatively new to the Android experience so I'm probably not as knowledgeable into the inner workings about these things.
But what does all this mean as for Androids future? Or Googles for the matter.
I think the item in this article that has me wondering is:
(Quote) "By taking a royalty-bearing license, Samsung recognizes that Android has intellectual property problems that must be resolved with license fees, and reduces to absurdity the idea that Google is going to be able to protect Android after the acquisition of Motorola Mobility." (End Quote)

So does this mean that Android will go the way of the Palm operating system?
I've become quite of fan of Android and the whole Google experience. And it seems like everyday there's another article talking about the incredible number of Android Phones being sold.
So will Android end up being relegated to only the most diehard fans of the system?
Just curious.........

jptros

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Android is not going anywhere. Apple screwed themselves out of the throne when they decided to give at&t exclusivity for so long. Android got spoon fed to the rest of the world and now it dominates and will probably continue to do so for a long time. Android is here to stay. Also, palm's death has nothing to do with patents.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm just speculating, but I don't think this proves anything about Google's ability to protect Android with the acquisition of Motorola Mobility. Acquisitions take time and Samsung was already in court. They had to do something now. Who knows? Maybe Samsung will be able to renegotiate or something after Google's buyout is complete.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure this out. I keep seeing references to "patent wars" and folks paying Microsoft for using Android, but nowhere is this explained. Why exactly do these manufacturers have to pay Microsoft? In plain english, please...

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure this out. I keep seeing references to "patent wars" and folks paying Microsoft for using Android, but nowhere is this explained. Why exactly do these manufacturers have to pay Microsoft? In plain english, please...

Ditto: What are the "intellectual property problems".

jptros

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that one of the patents in question has to do with the fat file system. I believe it was tom tom that had been previously sued for exactly that. This isn't exclusive to android, it's a linux issue. The fat patent issues go back several years before android became a major player in the mobile industry. If that is indeed the case, what microsoft is doing here is nothing new. They have been trying to collect money based around linux and fat fs on removable media for a while now.

jptros

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Also worth noting that microsoft has historically been very hush hush on exactly what patents they claim linux infringes upon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel