Switching to Android from iPhone.. I Think

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Well.. today was a major let down for most of us. I know I was let down by Apple's lack-luster announcements, or lack thereof. I was planning on getting the 64GB iPhone 4S, then I was informed Siri wouldn't be coming to Canada, which is the one feature that would make me consider the purchase. But that is not the case, so Android here I come. Just a few questions and concerns.

1) Phones. What to get? I am flexible with carrier as my contract is expiring soon, as long as they are Canadian obviously. Do I wait for the next Nexus phone? The Nexus Prime? Or do I go with the SGSII. The thing that concerns me about Android is the speed at which the phones update. I buy a device today, and tomorrow its outdated. Also the updates. To my understanding if I get a Nexus I will always get the newest OS, is that correct?

2) iTunes. I have a very large (45GB) music library. This is one the things tying me to Apple right now. I need something to sync my library and podcasts and what not with my new phone. I hear double twist is pretty good.

3) Email, Contacts, Calendars etc. I am currently using iCloud as my method of syncing all of these. Is there a way to sync contacts and calendars from my iMac to an android phone? I am fine using gmail but again, but contacts and calendars I would prefer to keep on my Mac.

Anyway I appreciate the help in advance. Also. I hate the fact I have the phone everyone else has. Thanks Apple, I look like a communist.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
1) If you are comfortable rooting your phone, you can get the latest version of Android on pretty much any major (ie, popular) device. That said, the Nexus is your best bet if you don't want to mess with any of that stuff.

2) There are tons of syncing applications for Android that work with iTunes. DoubleTwist is one that many people use. Here is a blog post I wrote for the site last October (I had the privilege of writing for AC for just under a year =] ) that covers several different syncing apps. There are probably a number of newer ones out there, but that should be a starting point for you.

3) You need to figure out how to get your email into Gmail, contacts into Google Contacts, and sync iCal with Google Calendar (I think you can do this directly in iCal, but it has been awhile). There are numerous guides online for doing each individual task so Google away.

Note: You might also consider Amazon Cloud Player or Google Music to replicate iCloud's cloud music features. I have invites left for Google Music so hit me up on twitter (@KyleNGibb) or preferably G+ and I'll shoot you one.

And welcome to Android. You've gone from using a "smartphone" to a computer that happens to fit in your pocket and can make phone calls ;)

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You don't necessarily need to get your email into gmail: Android phones have email clients that you can setup with your existing email accounts if you'd rather go that route.

You can sync Address Book and iCal with Google: Google Sync services

Do that before you get your Android phone and when you log into Google, all of that stuff will automagically appear on your phone...it's actually pretty cool the first time that happens. :p

Kyle's also right about updates: If you want to ensure you'll get updates first, you want a Nexus handset. I will add that if you get something that's reasonably high end (EX: HTC Sensation, Samsung Galaxy S II) then you'll likely get at least the next version of Android in the form of a update.

Good luck, hope this helps. :)

NegativeBeef

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I too am thinking about getting an android phone. I currently use a jailbroken iphone and was wondering if I can get free tethering with android. And what about automatic profiles? Those are probably the 2 most important things.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
there is free tethering on android, but I dont use it since I don't have unlimited 3G data :(

But I too have just switched from iPhone to come back home to android :)

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's easy to port your contacts from a mac to google. If you don't want to give all your contact info to google, it's less easy. My phone (a motorola photon, which may not be available in canada) came with a motorola utility to synch the contacts, but I haven't tried it, yet, air want to clean up my contacts and back them up, first. I may do so soon, and will report how it went on the MoPho forum if anything interesting happens.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Siri will work in Canada, btw, it's just based on American English. Look it up, it was a misunderstanding.

Mistress of Mischief

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Siri will work in Canada, btw, it's just based on American English. Look it up, it was a misunderstanding.

Mistress of Mischief
Hi! I remember you from the Pre forum. You continued to hang out and be helpful after you got an EVO. Thanks!

END

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Kyle,

How is Google Music?
I have had the invitation sitting in the inbox for awhile now. Part not having had time to get around to it, and part not sure about it. I remember reading in the legalize that said they reserve the right to alter your music files as circumstances warrant (words to that effect) I imagine that just means that if network congestion was heavy they might cut the stream from 256 to 128, not that they would actually alter ones music.

Still my paranoid side which trusts no company is always a bit worried.

:D

ashish04

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, you should go for SGSII. It's the best smartphone for now I think..I am not saying that iPhone 4S is bad. But for you, if you buy Galaxy then you'll get all the features that come with iPhone 4S. When it comes to Siri, then Speaktoit App is Siri for android. You'll be able to enjoy it on your SII. Music Library? Why don't you use iTunes on your iMac? You'll be able to store your music there. And when you've iMac, then iCloud can also work on it. So in my opinion, SII is the best option for you right now. But again, it's up to you. :)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If you want updates go with an HTC phone! Just warning you....Samsung does not update any of their hardware. Or by the time they do the phones life is over.

Good luck with whatever device you pick! :)

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae