37 Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Finally someone that's not all on Android's d*%&! Why does iphone need removable storage or a removable battery? I still don't get that. You have a 64gb iphone available now. The only time I remove my battery is when this POS ATRIX locks up. Something my iphones never did. Also, how many places in the US uses NFC? And I miss my 3.5 screen. Its made my phone feel good in my hands.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: 25 Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S

Actually I don't need to click your research link (glad you know how to use Google though) as I know what I'm speaking about. Show me ONE picture from a 0.3MP camera that is any good. On the flip side I bet anyone can show you a 2MP picture that is fairly decent. So "throwing out MP" isn't the case here. The original point was that 0.3 is lame and it should be 2 or more which is pretty accurate. Not saying all 2MP lenses will produce anything decent but they have a much better chance at covering for a not so great lense when it shoots more pixels. Plus the fact no manufacturer is going to spend any decent amount on a good lense for 0.3MP quality. I've never seen a 0.3MP picture and thought it was a good photo.

I'll end with repeating myself. No 0.3 MP camera is a good camera especially in this day and age. Maybe if this was 1991 then awesome but 2011 uh no!

So now you need to define good for all of us.

A .3 MP camera is capable of producing a good 4"x6" images, this is how they did it back in 1991 and it still holds true. So are your needing to blow up your images to 11"x16"? Are you just using the .3MP images to update your facebook profile? I don't know as your use of good is as vague as you throwing MP around.

Or maybe your wife's hands shakes all the time or she is taking pictures in the dark and that is why those photos turn out so poorly. These are things that make a difference along with the MP. You can argue all you want, but the fact is that MP alone do not make a camera better and if you are claiming that MP alone make the difference (This is about the 4th out I have given you) that we are wasting our time listening to you.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

A .3 MP camera is capable of producing a good 4"x6" images, this is how they did it back in 1991 and it still holds true. So are your needing to blow up your images to 11"x16"? Are you just using the .3MP images to update your facebook profile? I don't know as your use of good is as vague as you throwing MP around.

Or maybe your wife's hands shakes all the time or she is taking pictures in the dark and that is why those photos turn out so poorly. These are things that make a difference along with the MP. You can argue all you want, but the fact is that MP alone do not make a camera better and if you are claiming that MP alone make the difference (This is about the 4th out I have given you) that we are wasting our time listening to you.

Deleted as its not worth the time.

Last edited:

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

You both have made you points so lets just agree to disagree on the FFC before this gets out of hand. And please don't talk about someone else wife that not cool.

Thanks

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Finally someone that's not all on Android's d*%&! Why does iphone need removable storage or a removable battery? I still don't get that. You have a 64gb iphone available now. The only time I remove my battery is when this POS ATRIX locks up. Something my iphones never did. Also, how many places in the US uses NFC? And I miss my 3.5 screen. Its made my phone feel good in my hands.
Well, I was an early adopter of the iPod. After too short a period of time, the battery died. The warranty was short, and Apple offered to replace the battery for about $5 less than the cost of a new iPod. They also suggested I buy a new iPod.

I was one of the first users to experience iPod battery death, so there weren't any 3rd party options. I stopped using the thing, and haven't purchased a device with a non-replaceable battery since. Yes, I guess I hold a grudge. But that's certainly one of the reasons I won't buy an iPhone.

Perhaps a year later I was able to buy a third party battery, and it turned out to be fairly easy to replace the "non-replaceable" battery of the early iPod, but I bet that's not true of the iPhone. The weird proprietary screw Apple uses is an obvious problem.

A .3 MP camera is capable of producing a good 4"x6" images, this is how they did it back in 1991 and it still holds true. . .
Who the heck used a digital camera back in 1991? It was just an expensive way to take bad photos. Digital cameras didn't come of age until 2-3mb sensors became cheap enough to be standard. The benefits of the increases in MP since then are modest, unless you want to edit or crop your photo, but the benefits from moving to 2mp are huge.

That being said, if the primary purpose of the camera is to take video to stream via face time, the result is going to be compressed down to less than what you can get with .3mb anyway. And the iPhone's outfacing camera is excellent, by all reports.

sep2006

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Interesting list. We have to remember though, most of those features compromise battery life and that is one of apples selling points. That's why I don't hear any of my iOS friends complain about battery life and get the complaints from Android users.

apple is smart for targeting long lasting battery. The average Joe wants to go a full day with decent use on a single use.

I get 2 full days on heavy use with my Captivate (Running 2.3.5 Leak)

JesperSP

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I'll tell you the reason why you need replaceable battery and storage:

The extra batteries are really really nice to have if you miss one of your overnight charges (forgetting charger while travelling, sleeping in a tent without electricity) or overuse your phone so it runs out of battery (e.g. shooting a lot of video) and don't have a charger handy or time to recharge. Personally I have 4 batteries for my SGS2 - these took me through a whole extended weekend musical festival, without having to sit and guard my phone while connected to a public charger like all the iPhone people.

With Apples price policy you pay through your nose if you want to get the 64GB iPhone (Price in Denmark : 16GB $880, 64GB $1200). You can get a 64 GB SD card for about $110. If I get fed up with only having 16GB on my SGS2, I can just add a 64GB SD card and enjoy 80GB of space. If I had a 16GB Iphone 4S I would have to sell it and buy a larger iPhone :( Not giving users the flexibility of potentially adding more storage space if needed seems soo last century to me - but I guess this (and iTunes) is how Apple gets so rich.

I know that you can have your media in the cloud by now, but if you record a lot of 1080p footage, you'll need the extra memory.

just my 2 cents.

JesperSP

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I'll give you a few hints as to why you can dismiss all of those points for about 95% of potential smartphone consumers, not geeks or nerds like us but normal consumers, you know, the majority of the income source.

ITunes, apps, Facetime. That's it.

Why do you think anyone intelligent in the industry went meh for this launch? You have the reasons they went meh listed as PLUSSES. All improvements which will mean nothing as to why people will always flock to the iPhone.

I'll just point it out again but with no reason whatsoever to think you'll ever understand. ITunes, apps and Facetime.

ITunes crashes my PC - so I avoid it like the plague - having to hook up your "Smartphone" to a computer to transfer music podcasts and videos, and sync Outlook Calendar is so last century. iTunes, and the 30% apple tax on everything, is a negative aspect of iPhone.

With facetime you're limited to only talking to other brainwashed people. You can get Skype and Tango to talk to a wider range of people on both iPhone and Android.

The Apps and the standardized iPod dock (found on most stereos nowadays) is what I'm missing the most on my SGS2.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Just fleshing out the opening post a bit more and needed a place to store
more images:

attachment.php
MyAppSharer.png
attachment.php
battery.jpg

attachment.php
mp3-music-free.png MP3 Music Download

attachment.php
nfc.png

attachment.php
maps.png

attachment.php
accessibility.png → Android's Flashlight Alerts

attachment.php
facetime.png

attachment.php
skype.png → android Skype and ooVoo

attachment.php
Battery_Left-60.pngBattery Left Widget

attachment.php
findmyfriends.pngGoogle Maps now includes Latitude.

attachment.php
find-my-iphone.pngWheres My Droid

attachment.php
gamecenter.png

attachment.php
newsstand.png

attachment.php
siri.pngVlingo 16 months ago.

attachment.php
icloud.pngDropbox and Google Docs

Last edited:

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Just fleshing out the opening post a bit more and needed a place to store
more images:

Most android phones have need a replaceable battery. iPhone battery replacements cost $85 and take 3 weeks.

You can get a replacement battery for $30 from many places and have it overnight and replace it yourself.

You will never see an app like MP3 Music Download from Apple because it lets you download songs for free instead of $1.29.

I agree, but you should have used a better example. A lot of reviews for that app claim spam and adds ruin the app.

NFC is still missing from the iPhone 4S.

NFC is missing, but does it really matter? Can you do anythng useful with it?

Facetime does not work over 4G because the iPhone is not 4G on any network.

Misleading. Facetime doesn't work over cellular because the carriers don't want it or can't support it.

Find My iPhone has many of the features in the free

Find My iPhone is also free.

The things I left out are legitimate issues.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Most android phones have need a replaceable battery. iPhone battery replacements cost $85 and take 3 weeks.
Can you cite your source? I gave dozens of links for the statements I quoted. I have never needed a replacement battery for an Android.

You will never see an app like MP3 Music Download from Apple because it lets you download songs for free instead of $1.29.

I agree, but you should have used a better example. A lot of reviews for that app claim spam and adds ruin the app.
Can you give us the links to the reviews that say that MP3 Music Download Pro has spam. I have the apps and have not been spammed because of it.

NFC is missing, but does it really matter? Can you do anythng useful with it?

Sure. See the Wikipedia article for a lot of references but in a nutshell: File Sharing, Electronic business card, Mobile gaming, Instant Bluetooth Pairing, Instant WiFi Configuration, Point of Sale, Coupons, Tour guide, etc.

NFC enabled phones just went past a 10 million installed base. There is too much money to be made for the banks and carriers not to make the push.

Misleading. Facetime doesn't work over cellular because the carriers don't want it or can't support it.
It's not the carrier. Sprint pre-installs Qik on many phones with 3G and 4G enabled. Others pre-install Skype. Right now 4G Video Calls are enabled on Android phones on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.

The 34 features missing from the iPhone 4S are valid. As I noted, not all will matter to everyone.

A phone is like shoes. Get the one that fits you. If you have small enough hands, you should definitely consider an iPhone.

Last edited:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Just an icon placeholder, scratchpad

17679-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-4g.png
4G

attachment.php
Accessibility
(Flashlight Alerts)

17779-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-airplay.png
Airplay Video Mirroring via Apple TV using AirPlay.

17687-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-amazon_apps.png
Amazon MP3

17686-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-market2.png
Android Market

17841-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-aquarium.png
Anipet Aquarium Live Wallpaper

17680-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-app2sd.png
App2SD

17768-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-battery_left-60.png
Battery Left Widget

17846-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-earth_wallpaper.png
Earth Live Wallpaper

17684-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-facebook.png
Facebook

17765-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-facetime.png
Facetime but with real megapixel cameras

17685-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-adobe_flash_player.png
Flash

17769-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-findmyfriends.png
Find my Friends → Latitude

17771-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-gamecenter.png
Getjar

17763-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-maps.png
Google Maps

17774-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-icloud.png
iCloud
attachment.php
Dropbox

attachment.php
Documents in the Cloud
attachment.php
Google Docs

attachment.php
Settings

17754-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-myappsharer.png
MyAppSharer

17780-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-notifications.png
Notifications → Executive Assistant

attachment.php
Itunes →
attachment.php
Google Music →
17759-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-mp3-music-free.png
MP3 Music Download

17772-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-newsstand.png
Near Field Communication see the Google NFC Demo.

17773-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-siri.png
Siri →
attachment.php
Vlingo.

17708-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-swype.png
Swype and other Keyboards

17709-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-swiftkey_x.png
SwiftKey

17712-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-iphone_black.png
Theming with AWD.Launcher

17683-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-voicemail.png
Visual Voicemail

17766-25-features-still-missing-iphone-4s-skype.png
Video Chat: Qik, Skype and ooVoo give free unlimited video calls over WiFi, 3G and 4G.

Settings
Apple has a Settings link to the settings menus. With Android you can set up a Settings folder with links to your key settings as well as settings apps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87