37 Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php

Sample Android ADW.Launcher iPhone Theme on an Android phone

The new iPhone was was to have a new design. It would be thinner and lighter with true 4G and would finally get full Facebook integration and widgets.

But the iPhone 4S was actually slightly bigger and a bit heavier than the iPhone 4. Some say the "S" Stands for Same. The iPhone 4S is still a hit but is no Android Killer (Android marketshare grew to 52% while 15% have iPhones as of 2011Q3). For many Apple fans the features and specs do not matter. It's an Apple.

The iPhone 4S is about 10% smaller overall than the AT&T Galaxy S II and brings Android-like features including Siri (much like Vlingo Voice Controls), dual core, 8MP rear camera, Twitter integration, 1080p recording, wireless sync like Kies or Marksync, and Analysts were disappointed that the iPhone 4S was not the iPhone 5 they hoped for.

Here are some Android features not yet fully implemented in the iPhone 4S. Note that some of the missing features are missing on purpose. Apple often limits feature to only work with other iPhones, Apple TV, etc. Android strives to embrace all. Not all features may matter to you but some will.

Ready for the Big Screen
The estimates for the new iPhone screen were 3.7" or 4.0" or 4.2" or 4.3". It turned out to be the same 3.5" size as 2007. Today's 4.3" screen area is 51% larger than 3.5". Only 9% Want a Screen Under 4".

Freedom of choice
With Android you can have any size screen from 2.6" to 5.3", with physical keyboards and without. Apple will let you have any size you want as long as it is 3.5" with no physical keyboard. Why did Steve Jobs have to have such small fingers?

Notification LED
Apple does not have a Notification LED for incoming or missed calls, emails, texts, Facebook or calendar events, etc. Many were convinced a Notification LED was finally coming this time, but no luck. Most Androids not only have a Notification LED but the Flashlight Alerts app can also turn the camera LED into a notification LED.

microSD
You will never see an iPhone App2SD icon like because they lack a microSD card though almost all flagship phones today have a microSD slot. It's about $50 for 32GB. Many thought that this iPhone would finally have a microSD slot but it didn't. Some speculate that Apple does this to force people to pay $100 to add 16GB of memory when less.

4G
Here is another icon you don't see on an iPhone. This was to be the year that the iPhone would get real AT&T HSPA+ 21 Mbps, Sprint 4G WiMax, T-Mobile HSPA+ 42 Mbps, and Verizon LTE, but there is no 4G button on any iPhone. Most flagship phones in the past year have had 4G.

Real HD Displays
2011 was the year of the 720p phone display but the iPhone 4S still has it's display from last year. The 4.65" Samsung Galaxy Nexus has a true HD 1280x720p display and the first phone with Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich and is still actually thinner than the 4S. The HTC Rezound, HTC Zeta, HTC Edge, LG Optimus LTE, and Sony Xperia Arc HD also feature 720p displays.

Removable Battery
Android replacement batteries are typically $30-$50. Pop off the back cover and put in a spare battery. Better yet, get an extended life battery. Last year the iPhone was to get a removable battery. To 2-3 weeks. Apple says that their Lithium Ion batteries lose about 20% of capacity after 400 charges. How often do you charge your phone?

Widgets
Widgets like the Battery Left Widget show live information onscreen without opening the app. In this case, you are at 99% power with 35 hours left. iPhone owners waited in vain to finally get Widgets. Widgets are resizable in the Galaxy S II and will be for all in Android 4.0.

Full Facebook Integration
See that Facebook icon? It really works on an Android. Apple still has not added the expected full Facebook Integration. Android owners take for granted that friend's photos, status, messages, phones, events, birthdays, emails, and notifications are automatically updated from Facebook. Incoming calls pop-up with updated Facebook profile photos. Full Facebook-iPhone integration may not be coming any time soon.

Don't just backup, share
Apple's iCloud lets iPhone users backup information. But the point of a document is to share it. Dropbox (referral link for 2.25GB for free) lets you backup files for instant use on almost any smartphone or computer, not just Apples. But more importantly, you can share your documents with others.

It's time to work together
Apple Documents in the Cloud let an Apple user save a file that they can edit on their own Apple devices. Google Docs let anyone edit files on almost any PC or smartphones including Androids and BlackBerry's as well as iPhones, iPad's, and Macs. More importantly you can work together with others to collaborate and share documents.

Try before you buy
With Apple, if you try it, you buy it. The Android Market gives you 15 minutes to try out an app on your phone to see if the options and features are right for you. If not, uninstall it for a full refund. Apple still gives no application trials.

Notifications done right
Apple's new iOS 5 Notifications brings some features of Android's Notifications and the Android Executive Assistant app to iOS 5. As a first attempt, Apple has done well but Executive Assistant offers so much more control over repeating notifications, ringtones, vibrations, etc. Take a look.

Flash
Much of the web including this site rely on Adobe Flash for multimedia but Apple does not allow a Flash app on the iPhone. Unfortunately the HTML5 standard to replace Flash is still not finalized.

Theming
Unless you Jailbreak an iPhone (and break your warranty), you can't easily change themes or icons. But with apps like AWD.Launcher it is easy to make your Android look like an iPhone or anything else. See the screenshot above.

Shop wherever you want
Apple only wants you to buy apps from the Apple company store. The Android Market has endless apps too but that is just the beginning. Google allows you to have access to competing markets plus MyAppSharer lets you "share" your actual app files with a friend.

Free App of the Day
Here is another app you will never see on an iPhone. The Getjar has a constantly changing assortment of normally paid apps for free including mature content.

No music store limits
Apple also forces you to buy music from the Apple company store. With Android you can buy music from Google or you can opt for a number of competitors. Amazon MP3 for instance offers almost every song available, typically for about 30% less than iTunes.

Music for free
MP3 Music Download has nearly every song as well...for free.

Real Live Wallpaper
Live Wallpaper is animated. The Earth rotates, thunder storms, fish swim, snow swirls, raindrops slide down your screen, and robots fly. It's fun to see how the Live Wallpaper responds to your touch or movements.

True Hands-free
The iPhone Siri app is nice but not a true hands-free solution like Vlingo. Siri requires you to push buttons to use it. Vlingo can turn on and operate totally from your voice. Still Siri has included many of Vlingo's other features and was an important step for Apple.

Navigation
The iPhone 4S has Limited GPS Navigation and no turn-by-turn directions. With Android, turn-by-turn navigation is included for free.

Visual Voicemail

Most flagship Android phones come with Visual Voicemail that lets you see the caller's latest Facebook photo when you play their message. Apple's voicemail has gotten better but still is missing the Visual photos.

Mega Pixel Front Cameras
The old iPhone front camera was supposed to have been updated to 2MP but the iPhone 4S is still VGA. Most flagship Android phones today have 2MP front cameras.

3G and 4G Video Calls
Along with the updated VGA front camera, Facetime video chat was to finally allow 3G. But the iPhone 4S is still limited to WiFi only. Android Qik, Skype and ooVoo give you free unlimited video calls over WiFi, 3G and 4G.

Mirror Video to TV's, not just Apple TV
Apple products are often restricted to working with work with other Apple products. iPhone 4S video mirroring streams the iPhone 4S's display to via Apple TV using AirPlay. But only 4% of the streaming video devices are compatible. Many Android devices offer DLNA that can work with Apple TV as well as almost any other internet enabled TV, Blueray player, PS3, Xbox, etc. Some say it is fitting that the symbol Apple chose for Airplay is a blacked-out square.

More than just an Apple Newsstand
The 85% of your friends who have other phones. The Latitude feature in Google Maps lets you find friends with all different sorts of phones.

Swype
That icon is for Swype holder of multiple World Texting Speed Records. Apple prohibits the use of any keyboard but their own. So no Swype. Fortunately Android lets you use any Keyboard you like.

Predictive Keyboards
SwiftKey contends that their predictive keyboard is even faster. SwiftKey users can easily break the world record because SwiftKey learns what you have typed once and then predicts your words.

NFC
Many thought that the new iPhone would have Near Field Communication (NFC) for instant payments, keycard, and ID like the Galaxy S II, but no. Android NFC can share a contact, photo, song, application, and video or pair Bluetooth or WiFi devices. See the Google NFC Demo.

A Games Center for all of your games
The iPhone LED backlights that are always on with an LCD layer blocking light to produce colors. Organic LED phones like the Galaxy S II don't need backlights so blacks take almost no power because the LED's are off. Forbes says the iPhone will get an OLED display but not this year.

Open Source
Apple iOS is Not Open Source. No one is licensed to modify the Apple keyboard, email, browser, contacts, or other Apple apps. Android is mostly Open Source. If a developer doesn't like a stock Android keyboard or other app, they can change it and re-release it back into the Android Market. Google uses licensing to reduce fragmentation so Android is not fully Open Source.

Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboards
← See that mouse pointer? The Galaxy S II lets you to connect a Bluetooth wireless mouse or keyboard. This along with HDMI mirroring allows easy control while on an monitor or HDTV. See this video showing USB Host, Bluetooth, and HDMI out from xda-developers. Android 4.0 will bring USB Host to more phones.

USB Host
USB Host lets you plug in a memory thumb drive, PS3 Game Controller, mouse, or keyboard into a micro USB Host adapter as shown in these videos at xda-developers.

Summary
Not all of these three dozen features lacking in the iPhone 4S may be important to you but some will be. There are a list of other features that did not make it into the iPhone 4S including a native USB connector or FM Radio and Apple still has some Multitasking Limitations to deal with. Also the iPhone still lacks Smart Dial meaning that you can't type a name in the dialer like Android, BB, or WM7. No visible file system available like Android AndExplorer or Astro File Manager show.

Still, in the end, a phone is like shoes. Get the one that fits you. If you have small hands, you should definitely consider an iPhone.

See Also
Phone Comparison
Editorial: Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom
Samsung Releases a Comparison Chart: Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4S
iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget
Specification Comparison: iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II
iPhone 4 iOS 5 User Guide

Last edited:

Hbomber110

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: 25 Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S

25 Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S...

We still have 50 reasons to own an Android phone.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site

A week ago 40% of all smartphone owners planned to buy the iPhone 5. Now a TiPb Poll of 10,000+ shows Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S. Still the new iPhone 4S will sell millions. Many iPhone users buy the next iPhone no matter what.

Apple iPhone 4S Does Bring Improvements
+ Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls with the ability to respond to commands such as "Text Joe: Leaving now" or "?What does poison ivy look like?? Vlingo Examples
+ The iPhone 4S has a Faster Dual Core CPU but the iPhone 4 already was really responsive
+ Apple matched the 8MP on the rear camera already in the Galaxy S II, Bionic, Photon, Charge, etc.
+ iOS 5 will finally have Notifications much like Android.

25 Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S
? No bigger. Only 9% Want a Screen Under 4". Why did Jobs have to have such little fingers?
? No options. You can have any size as long as it's 3.5". No physical keyboard options.
? No LED Notification
? No microSD
? No Sprint 4G
? No Verizon LTE
? No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
? 0.3MP VGA front camera should have been 2MP
? No DLNA
? No Facebook Integration, no Facebook sync of photos, status updates, etc.
? No Widgets
? No Smart Dial - can't type a name in the dialer like Android, BB, or WM7.
? No FM Radio
? No Near Field Communication (NFC) for payments, games, ID, etc.
? No Root. A Jailbreak is expected for the iPhone 4S but not root customization.
? No video chat over 3G (No Facetime over WiFi only)
? No application trials. Android at least gives 15 minutes to try an app for a full refund.
? No Keyboard options, Android has endless keyboard options.
? No visible file system available like Android AndExplorer or Astro File Manager show.
? Limited GPS Navigation and turn-by-turn directions
? Limited Multitasking
? Not Open Source. If you don't like a stock Android app, change it and re-release it. Not so with Apple.
? One Home button instead of separate Search, Menu, Back, and Home buttons (also used by games)
? No removable battery
? No micro USB connector - only proprietary Apple cables.

Summary
The iPhone 4S will be a success. It just is lacking many of the basic features found in most flagship smartphones today.

See Also
? Phone Comparison
? Editorial: Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom
? Samsung Releases a Comparison Chart: Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4S
? iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget
? Specification Comparison: iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II

I'll give you a few hints as to why you can dismiss all of those points for about 95% of potential smartphone consumers, not geeks or nerds like us but normal consumers, you know, the majority of the income source.

ITunes, apps, Facetime. That's it.

Why do you think anyone intelligent in the industry went meh for this launch? You have the reasons they went meh listed as PLUSSES. All improvements which will mean nothing as to why people will always flock to the iPhone.

I'll just point it out again but with no reason whatsoever to think you'll ever understand. ITunes, apps and Facetime.

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

True indeed. Not taking anything away from this post, but the target market for apple would care less for theses features. I know alot of my friends and associates who are dying to have any iphone on sprint. For the most part, they are Evo 4g or og galaxy owners who have yet to really "tinker" with their respected devices(nor care to). Not to hate on any apple fans, but they are going to buy the iphone because it's an iphone.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Of all those deficits, the only one that I expect most people to miss are LED notifications and turn-by-turn navigation. And I thought you could buy (an expensive) app from Garmin or the like to make that up.

The screen size goes both ways. Some people like a larger screen, others like a gadget that's easy to put in a pocket and where all of the screen is easy to touch. I have the Photon, and at 4.3 inches, I wish it were just a tad smaller. (I also wish it had a keyboard, but I seem to be in the minority.)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Interesting list. We have to remember though, most of those features compromise battery life and that is one of apples selling points. That's why I don't hear any of my iOS friends complain about battery life and get the complaints from Android users.

apple is smart for targeting long lasting battery. The average Joe wants to go a full day with decent use on a single use.

swhite393

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

FM radio on the htc senstation has been very nice. I can listen to radio at sports games. Typically everyone is using there phones all in the crowded stadium so internet is too slow to get online streaming of the radio broadcast.

With how slow Apple puts out phones comparatively, every iphone should be the top of the line at least for the time of its release imo.

phozone

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but I am switching to try the Iphone

I have used android since the original Droid was out. I find myself using the phone and many of the apps less and less. It has always been a little rough and still shuts down on occasion when receiving or trying to make calls. I also have less time and desire to tweak everything and just need something simple.

I do use the turn by turn navigation and it is simply the best, so I will surely miss that. But the apps that are most important to me revolve around productivity and Apple just has a lot more polished apps in this category.

Finally, I am really tired of the shoddy conveyor belt of disappointing hardware - crap and plastic - that keeps popping up. I am really interested in a Verizon Nexus (Prime) but now that is delayed - another typical example of the Google disorganized marketing machine. So I will try the IPhone and wait for the Nexus Prime to appear and weigh my decision again. Google needs to button up their OS and hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich will reflect this. Still a big Google fan!!

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site

This is a limitation of the app FaceTime, but not really a limitation of the iPhone, which is able to use Skype video chat over 3G.

I didn't know that, personally. But Apple markets FaceTime as a key selling point for their devices, so why not update the app to work over 3G?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I didn't know that, personally. But Apple markets FaceTime as a key selling point for their devices, so why not update the app to work over 3G?

Because it won't work smoothly. It might freeze or stutter on 3G, and they don't want people to have that sort of user experience. This is the phone that "just works" after all.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps initially it was a limitation imposed by AT&T because of their network limitations. Verizon too may have been concerned about a huge number of iPhones hitting their network. Or perhaps there was no good reason at all, as in, why not allow iOS to work with Flash? Why not develop a video chap app that also works with non-Apple devices? Why not allow user removable batteries and storage media? Apple seems rather dense sometimes in their reasoning and their customers just accept whatever rationale, if any, may be offered.

Last edited:

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Ask the carriers. They are to blame. Or that most carriers don't have the bandwidth to handle it anyway.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

That is what blows my mind. The fact they made an identical phone with bumped specs and people are flocking to it like crazy! Some of you said the OP list is for "geeks" or tech people but if that was the case people wouldn't be rushing out to buy this overhyped POS. The fact is anything Apple releases will sell to all the drones of Apple fanboys for whatever reason. I don't get how they have such a loyal following. Yes they make good products but so do others and other manufacturers don't see this loyalty.

I've had a few iPhones including the 4 (FaceTime is overhyped really and most people I know with the 4 NEVER use it) and an iPad and they are flat out boring. I don't understand why people don't feel the same way. I hated Android for a while and after using it I fell in love with it's features and customizations. I can make my phone different than anyone elses without rooting/jailbreaking. I just don't get it. Oh well.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

You shared your option and here is mine:

Overall Size - This is purley a matter of opinion. Neither is right or wrong.

Screen Size - Larger screen = greater battery consumption. It is a trade off and I prefer battery life. But this is neither a plus or a minus, it is a preference.

Options - Options aren't always a good thing. There are simply too many right now and it is the source of the fragmentation in the android world that causes more harm then good. Examples are the length of time it took Netflix and Hulu+ to all android phones. A better example is the recent giveaway of Madden by Verizon. It didn't work on my Bionic. It took some time before thunderbolt users could get it.

LED Notification - Not all android phones have this, so not sure how you can list it as something missing from the iPhone?

microSD - This is a trend that just needs to die. When all you could put on your SD card was media it made sense to have removable media. But since many apps now install on the SD card and even more apps store data on the SD card, you would have to keep that data synced between cards when you change them or give up all the data those apps store on there. This is how I can tell that users either aren't using there phones and taking advantage of the apps or are constantly switching out SD cards, because you don't see any complaints about this. Removable media needs to follow it larger cousion, the floppy, and just die.

USB Host - Yes because the average comsumer is always carring a mouse and keyboard with them to plug into thier phone. Or a USB stick. You can get a iPhone with 64GB of storage. YOu can't even get close to that with a Android.

4G - Doesn't have enough coverage to be useful to most uesrs. Check back in 6-8 months.

NFC - Yes becuase so many android phones have this now.

Flash - I, like a large precentage of users don't care. Flash needs to die. HTML5!

Widgets - Sure widgets are great, but they suck the battery life and use up the little memory android phones have. Great idea, but poor phone design to actually implement it.
On a side note, you can jailbreak you iPhone, get widgets and still have great battery life. This is only thing Google needs to copy from Apple, battery life management.

Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboards - Again a non issue for 99.9% percent of the users. You want HDMI mirroring, get air play. No cables.

Other features to consider...
0.3MP VGA front camera should have been 2MP - MP don't matter, so just stop it already. The quality matters.

No DLNA - Does anyone really use this? iPhone has airplay.

No Facebook Integration, no Facebook sync of photos, status updates, etc. - I consider this a huge plus. I hate facebook and all that it represents. This includes everyone that uses it.

No Smart Dial - Since I don't recall how I did this when I had a iphone, I can give this one to you.

No FM Radio - Who the hell listens to radio any more?

No Root - Jailbreak is root. Me things you need define what you mean by root.

No Facetime video chat over 3G (No Facetime over WiFi only) - This is a carrier issue, not Apples. Get skype or tango or jailbreak.

No application trials - This used to be a big one. But with the 15 window android has now, it isn't as nearly as big of a deal.

No Keyboard options, Android has endless keyboard options - If you want a keyboard then yes this is huge. But I think that segment of the market is shrinking.

No visible file system available like Android AndExplorer or Astro File Manager show. - Yes but again the average consumer isn't poking around the file system. With apple you can download and save your images and media and the are opened with the assocaited app. Nothing else to see here.

Limited GPS Navigation and turn-by-turn directions - No plenty of options for that, just doesn't come with free google navigation.

Limited Multitasking - Um. NO. Personally iOS has better multi-tasking. Nothing like having a poorly coded app on Android streaming something and you answer a phone call only to have the streaming continue while you are trying to have a conversation. Or perhaps you have two poorly coded apps and they are both streaming at the same time.

Not Open Source. If you don't like a stock Android app, change it and re-release it. Not so with Apple. - Again this impacts so few people. But you are correct.

One Home button instead of separate Search, Menu, Back, and Home buttons (also used by games) - If there were any consistenly with Android this would be a plus, but since the layout and the number of buttons is completely optional it hurts more then it helps. That and the fact that the use of the buttons is also inconsistance through the android world.

No removable battery - A removable battery is a huge minus. There are only 2 reasons to have a removable battery. 1) if your OS has such poor battery management that you need to replace it every 6 hours and 2) If you OS is so crappy that it locks up and they dont' desing a way to reboot without removing it. Apple suffers from none of these. The battery even with very heavy use will go 18 hours and if the phone does lock up, you can reset it quickly.

No micro USB connector - only proprietary Apple cables. If all you have is apple stuff then you consider the Micro usb to be proprietay.

So what did we learn:

1) Everyone has different needs, so there is no one phone/platform that is best.
2) Apple and Android do things differently, so again depending on your needs one will be better suited for you.
3) Just because you can do or have an option doesn't it make it useful (NFC I am talking to you)
4) Be thankful we have options so that if we don't like that way one company does something you have choices. (In Soviet Russia, phone roots you!)

Last edited:

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

ivlenk.jpg

Seems to me 4G is in quite a few cities and mainly all major cities. A lot more are being rolled out by the end of the year as well so I'd disagree with you saying 4G isn't available enough for many to worry about. TONS of people want the latest and greatest and the 4G buzzword makes people want it and it is available in many places.

Oh and the FFC point is also wrong. .3MP compared to 2MP does matter in the quality area. FFC that is below 1MP produces rotten quality pics. My wife uses the FFC on her iP4 a lot with the new baby and the pics are grainy and pixelated like crazy. Facts over opinions my friend.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Click to view quoted image

Seems to me 4G is in quite a few cities and mainly all major cities. A lot more are being rolled out by the end of the year as well so I'd disagree with you saying 4G isn't available enough for many to worry about. TONS of people want the latest and greatest and the 4G buzzword makes people want it and it is available in many places.

Oh and the FFC point is also wrong. .3MP compared to 2MP does matter in the quality area. FFC that is below 1MP produces rotten quality pics. My wife uses the FFC on her iP4 a lot with the new baby and the pics are grainy and pixelated like crazy. Facts over opinions my friend.

We obviously have different definitions of coverage. And so would the entire state of Mississippi, Missouri, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Delaware. As these states have ZERO 4g coverage at the time I checked the Verizon coverage map and no plans for the rest of 2011. Not even going to bring up the states that have limited coverage with not hopes of seeing 4G this year.

But I do agree with you that 4G/LTE is important, it is just 6-8 months away from mattering to enough people that it should be included on every new phone. (Depending on the carrier) AT&T and Sprint not so much. Verizon and T Mobile yes. Or we could discuss the fact that the current way Verizon is handling LTE data is not the way they plan to long term with it using voice and data. So should we wait until they phase out EVDO and only using LTE or suffer through using a product that will be outdated soon eventually?

As for the FFC, you are still wrong. I am not saying that the FFC on the iphone is good. It might be crap, I don't have one so I can't tell you. My point is you can't just just toss out MP numbers as the reason for low quality pictures. By themselves they are a meaningless figure. It is the quality of the lens and how the image is processed among other factors that make a difference. You can have a 12MP camera, but if the optics are crappy a 3MP camera with great optics will take a better picture. Please do you research on what goes into making a decent picture before claiming it as fact.

If your point was that the FFC on the iPhone sucked then you should have argued that, most people would have probably agreed with you. Just don't quote the MP as the only reason that pictures are no good.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

We obviously have different definitions of coverage. And so would the entire state of Mississippi, Missouri, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Delaware. As these states have ZERO 4g coverage at the time I checked the Verizon coverage map and no plans for the rest of 2011. Not even going to bring up the states that have limited coverage with not hopes of seeing 4G this year.

But I do agree with you that 4G/LTE is important, it is just 6-8 months away from mattering to enough people that it should be included on every new phone. (Depending on the carrier) AT&T and Sprint not so much. Verizon and T Mobile yes. Or we could discuss the fact that the current way Verizon is handling LTE data is not the way they plan to long term with it using voice and data. So should we wait until they phase out EVDO and only using LTE or suffer through using a product that will be outdated soon eventually?

As for the FFC, you are still wrong. I am not saying that the FFC on the iphone is good. It might be crap, I don't have one so I can't tell you. My point is you can't just just toss out MP numbers as the reason for low quality pictures. By themselves they are a meaningless figure. It is the quality of the lens and how the image is processed among other factors that make a difference. You can have a 12MP camera, but if the optics are crappy a 3MP camera with great optics will take a better picture. Please do you research on what goes into making a decent picture before claiming it as fact.

If your point was that the FFC on the iPhone sucked then you should have argued that, most people would have probably agreed with you. Just don't quote the MP as the only reason that pictures are no good.

Actually I don't need to click your research link (glad you know how to use Google though) as I know what I'm speaking about. Show me ONE picture from a 0.3MP camera that is any good. On the flip side I bet anyone can show you a 2MP picture that is fairly decent. So "throwing out MP" isn't the case here. The original point was that 0.3 is lame and it should be 2 or more which is pretty accurate. Not saying all 2MP lenses will produce anything decent but they have a much better chance at covering for a not so great lense when it shoots more pixels. Plus the fact no manufacturer is going to spend any decent amount on a good lense for 0.3MP quality. I've never seen a 0.3MP picture and thought it was a good photo.

I'm fully aware of the fact that a 5MP vs. an 8MP means nothing. You won't notice a different pixel wise unless you plan on doing a pretty big print of the image. The sensor/lense is the deal maker on that. My point was that not a single 0.3MP camera will be equiped with a decent lense or sensor to help make the photos any good because they are not worth it in this day and age.

I'll end with repeating myself. No 0.3 MP camera is a good camera especially in this day and age. Maybe if this was 1991 then awesome but 2011 uh no!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy