Android Phone for Seniors?

lakedubvt

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
My grandmother is thinking about getting a smartphone, but she is worried that she will not know how to use it.

Is there a phone with a simplified version of android on it? Possibly one geared toward seniors?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
They just made a phone geared towards woman, haha. Jokes aside.

IPhone!! ok really, I would say an HTC Phone. (I do not own, or have really used one)
HTC sense adds some nice modifications to android.
-Like the big phone button in the middle-bottom.
-The pull down notification adds quick access to the wifi/gps/airplane toggles.

Though I guess the wall paper changed could be a bit more complicated.

Perhaps a phone that you know how to use? Whats better then the Grandchild teaching their grandparents how to use current tech? ^.^

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Smartphones are complicated. If she really wants one, though, I recommend an iPhone. The UI is much friendlier and more forgiving to the tech-illiterate.

Consider also when guiding her decision if you're making the choice that you would make for yourself or that's really best for her. Make sure she gets something she'll love, not something you'd love for her to have.

Last edited:

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I would agree that the iPhone is geared towards senior citizens lol seriously though its one that has a very simple UI ok this really is not a dig at the iphone :p

Or there is apps that have been mentioned, Samsung with the S4 and no doubt the S5 have an easy mode that well makes things easy.

The choice is yours :)

Posted via Android Central App

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Samsung smartphones have the EASY MODE.

She will love it

Below is a screen shot of my galaxy note 3 in easy mode.

a9a4yru9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

She will love it

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/a9a4yru9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Came here to say this. Samsung phones have an easy mode. That will help her get used to using a smartphone. Then if she later decides she is ready for a "full strenthg" smartphone experience, it is as simple as changing a setting instead of having to buy a whole new phone.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My grandmother is thinking about getting a smartphone, but she is worried that she will not know how to use it.

Is there a phone with a simplified version of android on it? Possibly one geared toward seniors?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The smart phone for seniors is called the iPhone. No easy mode required.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
If she gets an iPhone though, have her wait for the iPhone 6 to see if it's bigger than the predecessors. Because senior eyesight is not compatible with tiny screens, lol.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

She will love it

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/17/a9a4yru9.jpg

Looks good.
Unfortunately that is only one of 5 homescreens. That's waaay too confusing for 'my' senior before they've even dived in to try and use an app. And far to many buttons/icons to (accidentally) press and create a panic.

I would love to find a solution for this, however, because I would love to be able to track 'my senior' in case of emergency. Alzheimers is around the corner, after all.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks good.
Unfortunately that is only one of 5 homescreens. That's waaay too confusing for 'my' senior before they've even dived in to try and use an app. And far to many buttons/icons to (accidentally) press and create a panic.

I would love to find a solution for this, however, because I would love to be able to track 'my senior' in case of emergency. Alzheimers is around the corner, after all.

One of three. SImple mode takes it down to three

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On my SGNote1 it's 5 homescreens, of which 2 are empty = more reason for confusion.

If you look at his screenshot, you can clearly see from the home screen indicators that there are only 3. Samsung must have changed it in the past 2.5 years since the original Note came out

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since the thread title is 'Android phone for seniors', I would suggest the Moto X. That will be a device that should last quite some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar