This is something google is CRAZY for not doing with android.

Grahaman27

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Android has always been more about customization than apple, but something I have always wondered is- why have they not taken that idea and ran with it??

what I basically mean is theming. Why doesnt android include a built in theme engine? sure, there are launchers and home screens you can download and install... but it never feels complete. I mean, for God's sake- jailbroken iphone themes are 10x better (and 10x as many)!

in order for android to have a complete custom theme overhaul you have to install custom ROMs... which is impossible or impractical for most users that would like this.

now this may be a stretch, but I think (and I know it probably wont be even considered) that the best feature in the next android OS version would be a built-in theme engine- and if the name was "jelly bean" then it would make perfect sense, since jelly beans come in so many different assorted flavors.

new android "jelly bean" make your android your own. have permission and ease of use in changing everything, specifically what you can not currently-

-status bar color/theme
-system icons (notification bar icons)
-"loading" image (when in an app waiting)
-loading bar
-everything else you already can

and then, best part, to make it easy on the developer AND user- a "themes" section in the market. that way all themes are in one location, which would make better quality themes too when more people can see what they can easily do.

just sayin, if this was the future with android, there would be one big incentive for buying android over any other.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
A couple of reasons for not being able to change things easily is carrier control and manufacturer reluctance to unlock bootloaders, which actually probably points back to carrier control.

Also, you shouldn't be comparing a stock android to a jailbroken iphone. Stock android to stock iphone, android wins hands down when it comes to customization. Rooted android to jailbroken iphone, android wins again.

Grahaman27

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
A couple of reasons for not being able to change things easily is carrier control and manufacturer reluctance to unlock bootloaders, which actually probably points back to carrier control.

Also, you shouldn't be comparing a stock android to a jailbroken iphone. Stock android to stock iphone, android wins hands down when it comes to customization. Rooted android to jailbroken iphone, android wins again.

google does not need to consult the carrier on THEIR OS, they can do whatever they want, then the carriers might just disable the feature. just look at google wallet, ICS data tracker, android launchers. its all the same

and stock android > stock iphone, but you can not really do so much more with a rooted android, so its not a huge improvement. have you ever used a jailbroken iphone? with cydia and their apps and themes? there are thousands! and they all work great. I would have to disagree and say a jailbroken iphone is more customizable. you can make the homescrenes completely different, system wide gesture control, FULL (what android cannot do without new ROMs) theming-- and too many to pick from. heck, you can even add a virtual ram. they are super quick at rooting those dang things when apple hates it and they have plenty to do. its actually really nice. I know thats heresy, but its true.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
This is one of things i miss from blackberry. They had wysiwyg theme studio software which let you customize without rooting or jailbreaking.

Sent from my unrooted DInc2 via Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome