Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Google hasn't officially announced either, but has dropped many jelly bean nods (such as having a bowl of jellybeans at MWC) and someone made a reference to key lime Pie recently, but we shouldn't know officially until Google I/O

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Yeah sorry for the last post. No official word on jellybean but a lot of talk about it. I really wouldn't be surprised if they came out with it by the end of the year or first of next year. Lol I wonder if the Evo 3d will get it?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk!

If it's launched by December it should. Most phones are supported for 18 months of updates. Since no one really knows anything about jelly bean, though, it'll be shooting in the dark to make a real guess.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    I would think Samsung, HTC, and Motoroloa eliminating their skins (most people don't like them anyway and quite frankly would welcome ICS now rather then HTC slaping Sense over it). ICS could be out on most phones if they eliminate that layer of BS. Let the companies worry about hardware, let google handle the software. Done! Rather then google creates software, Moto creates the hardware AND software over googles and then screws everything up and there are delays because Moto has to get Blur to work with ICS.
    I would not be suppriced if Google got deals with OEMs that they can do whateve they like with the software, thing is manufactures want to invodualize there phones and there extra software and features, that might be the reason why OEMs even use Android at all, they always can switch back to making there own software if they don't like rules that Google makes. Sorry guys but thats how openness works, everyone can modify things whatever they like to.

You can see exact thing with Windows and Laptop OEMs, Laptops with installed Windows out of the box also are infested with manufacture crapware

But if you look on Linux... it's not that bad. Pure Linux is pain to use since it does not have configuration and package distribution software by default, thats why there distributions having them. But each distribution invidualise aspect of Linux so much that people call single distribution likes they are different OSes, ignoring the fact that it practicly runs same software. So Android fragmentation is not that bad compare to Linux, we should be happy
    Last edited by Shadowriver; 03-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

But with windows you can delete whatever you want. And Microsoft still updates it, timely. They don't wait for 10 fixes to send them out. Its every Tues if I remember right. With android they send them out whenever they want. That's my problem. If there is a fix for a security bug on the browser, or the dialer, or the messaging app, that Google fixes it can still take up to 15 months, or more if ever, to get the update. At least Microsoft pushesbupdate s right to the pcs , without dell, HP, gateway, Asus, or whoever the maker is involvement. Is that too hard to ask from android?
    And if Google is just letting the manufacturers do whatever they want, its over. They need to be able to update certain parts of the os without carrier/manufacturer being involved. I can't believe a Cal ha sent been made to the carriers/manufacturers for not fixing these security issues on older phones.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chubb; 03-17-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Could've done better with J than jelly bean

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanogen View Post
    Could've done better with J than jelly bean
    Like....................

ROM
    Dooderbutt, MarcusantROM

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    But with windows you can delete whatever you want. And Microsoft still updates it, timely. They don't wait for 10 fixes to send them out. Its every Tues if I remember right. With android they send them out whenever they want. That's my problem. If there is a fix for a security bug on the browser, or the dialer, or the messaging app, that Google fixes it can still take up to 15 months, or more if ever, to get the update. At least Microsoft pushesbupdate s right to the pcs , without dell, HP, gateway, Asus, or whoever the maker is involvement. Is that too hard to ask from android?
    And if Google is just letting the manufacturers do whatever they want, its over. They need to be able to update certain parts of the os without carrier/manufacturer being involved. I can't believe a Cal ha sent been made to the carriers/manufacturers for not fixing these security issues on older phones.
    But you have to remember, Android is built almost specifically for a device, and Windows Phones are the other way around. Google sets a standard for manufacturers to fill, but it's not required; while Microsoft sets a standard manufacturers either fill or not get supported.

Also, this is more of a "bad" excuse, but Android is also largely open source after Google finishes the inital release to AOSP, and they move on to the next version. Manufacturers generally are left with the device specific updates (hence why the HTC Evo 4G, for example, is quite easily supported on the most recent GB release, but it's still at like 2.3.3). Only the Nexus line is updated to what Google says, truly, solely because they made it, and can push releases out without worrying about incompatibilities.

tl;dr: Android is built per-device, and updated for only core OS functions outside of the Nexus/gTV line (the rest is up to the manuf.), and WP is more, erm, built per-Microsoft, if you catch my drift. Hope that clears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Like....................

Jelly donut?

Wow some phones just got 4.0, it seems jelly bean is coming too quick to be true

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by aykem View Post
    But you have to remember, Android is built almost specifically for a device, and Windows Phones are the other way around. Google sets a standard for manufacturers to fill, but it's not required; while Microsoft sets a standard manufacturers either fill or not get supported.

Also, this is more of a "bad" excuse, but Android is also largely open source after Google finishes the inital release to AOSP, and they move on to the next version. Manufacturers generally are left with the device specific updates (hence why the HTC Evo 4G, for example, is quite easily supported on the most recent GB release, but it's still at like 2.3.3). Only the Nexus line is updated to what Google says, truly, solely because they made it, and can push releases out without worrying about incompatibilities.

tl;dr: Android is built per-device, and updated for only core OS functions outside of the Nexus/gTV line (the rest is up to the manuf.), and WP is more, erm, built per-Microsoft, if you catch my drift. Hope that clears it up.
    Yea it does a bit. Did not know every phone was different at the core of the os. Google needs to change that then. They need to be able to send out fixes regardless of manufacturer. Not for the new features just the bug fixes and security patches for its os. Getting updates is the only good thing I find about iOS. An iPhone 3gs still get updated from apple just won't get all the newest features.

Android4life

I think you will see phones released with it already installed during the holiday season of 2012. But as far as it being pushed to other phones, probably not until mid 2013 at the earliest.

its all a lie!!! theres no such thing as jelly bean....

its called JELLO PUDDING!!!
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

J is for Jalapeno pudding

Seriously though, I think HTC is finally getting the message. Drop a major handset a few times a year on different carriers. Properly maintain that phone and keep a happy / stable user base. Let's also not rule out the fact that once the Google/Moto merger goes through that one of the most powerful Android brands will have more official backing and probably will skew more towards the Nexus line. Yes this is all wishful thinking but the phone manufacturers have to get a clue that we're not going to buy a new phone every year. We're going to buy what and when we want to, not because they gave us no choice otherwise.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
    Samurai Dev

ROM
    IllusionB / OM

ics is out there... from the devices i see you all are using, more than likely you can get a port from your devices "rooting/roms/hacks" forums... if you havent checked your r/r/h forums lately, i encourage you to take a peek... if the threads are dead, bring them back to life!... "they will come"... :-)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12