Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Just read a post on Twitter about the next Android os jelly bean. Has anyone else heard this too? They haven't released ice cream sandwich for most devices yet and already talk of jelly bean. What is your thoughts on this? And what have you heard about it?

    Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk!
    Last edited by weston87; 02-28-2012 at 11:13 AM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    It's really not surprising that it's already in the works, usually companies try to stay ahead and already be working on their next releases by the time their current ones come out.
  3. #3  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    It takes a long time to build an OS. We probably won't see it hitting any devices until 2013.
  4. #4  
    rukin1's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    180 Posts

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    It takes a long time to build an OS. We probably won't see it hitting any devices until 2013.
    Maybe just MAYBE super late 2012. But who knows. I mean you gotta stay update with other companies. I mean theres like a load types of iphones and ipods.. But yet theres only on android.
  5. #5  
    rizzman's Avatar

    Posts
    142 Posts
    ROM
    Whatever google wants...

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    It is kind of disheartening that most of us are still waiting for ICS and now JB is being talked about. Seems like by the time we get ICS it will be outdated cause JB will be the talk of the town. Why such a long delay between updates boggles my mind.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    It takes a long time to build an OS. We probably won't see it hitting any devices until 2013.
    But its not like they start from 0 :>
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default

    IMHO this is the type of crap that drives people to apple. ICS hasn't hit but one phone and they're already talking about the next itineration. Get ICS on over 50% of the phones, then maybe start talking about JB.

    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    headbuzz and Synycalwon like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    I agree with you SteveISU totally. The rumor is that it will hit late this year. From everything I've read anyways. I would like to see ics before we even hear of jb.

    Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk!
    headbuzz likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    I use HTC ,,,,WHEN WHEN WHEN!

    really expecting and exciting for 5.0
  10. #10  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by rizzman View Post
    It is kind of disheartening that most of us are still waiting for ICS and now JB is being talked about. Seems like by the time we get ICS it will be outdated cause JB will be the talk of the town. Why such a long delay between updates boggles my mind.
    How soon we forget. I can remember ICS being mentioned before anyone had Gingerbread. The key word is "mentioned", for I haven't seen Jellybean officially announced yet.
    dancing-bass likes this.
  11. #11  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    IMHO this is the type of crap that drives people to apple. ICS hasn't hit but one phone and they're already talking about the next itineration. Get ICS on over 50% of the phones, then maybe start talking about JB.

    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    If that's the truth then let them go. Anyone remember how the iPhone 4 was supposed to be 4G?
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    IMHO this is the type of crap that drives people to apple. ICS hasn't hit but one phone and they're already talking about the next itineration. Get ICS on over 50% of the phones, then maybe start talking about JB.

    Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
    That is the manufacturers problem not Google. They take a while to get their skins right, than the carrier has to make sure that their bloatware works. Also manufacturers do hold back updates to try and get us to buy the new phone, no money in doing updates.


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    That is the manufacturers problem not Google. They take a while to get their skins right, than the carrier has to make sure that their bloatware works. Also manufacturers do hold back updates to try and get us to buy the new phone, no money in doing updates.


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

    I understand the economics of it from a manufacturing side, but from a consumer side, it is the type of thing that drives people nuts. I would think google would start putting it's foot down and push manufacturers to get their software pushed in 90 days from the release date. If they feel the android phone market can't accomplish that due to the number of different handset manufacturers, then maybe start thinking of exclusivity contracts with 1 or 2.
  14. #14  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    I understand the economics of it from a manufacturing side, but from a consumer side, it is the type of thing that drives people nuts. I would think google would start putting it's foot down and push manufacturers to get their software pushed in 90 days from the release date. If they feel the android phone market can't accomplish that due to the number of different handset manufacturers, then maybe start thinking of exclusivity contracts with 1 or 2.
    That would be a good start. I just wish every phone had the option of running vanilla android or the carrier/manufacturer version. There
    Is a lot of good phones I would get but going without timely updates is a deal breaker.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    That would be a good start. I just wish every phone had the option of running vanilla android or the carrier/manufacturer version. There
    Is a lot of good phones I would get but going without timely updates is a deal breaker.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

    I would think Samsung, HTC, and Motoroloa eliminating their skins (most people don't like them anyway and quite frankly would welcome ICS now rather then HTC slaping Sense over it). ICS could be out on most phones if they eliminate that layer of BS. Let the companies worry about hardware, let google handle the software. Done! Rather then google creates software, Moto creates the hardware AND software over googles and then screws everything up and there are delays because Moto has to get Blur to work with ICS.
  16. #16  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    I would think Samsung, HTC, and Motoroloa eliminating their skins (most people don't like them anyway and quite frankly would welcome ICS now rather then HTC slaping Sense over it). ICS could be out on most phones if they eliminate that layer of BS. Let the companies worry about hardware, let google handle the software. Done! Rather then google creates software, Moto creates the hardware AND software over googles and then screws everything up and there are delays because Moto has to get Blur to work with ICS.
    That is the holdup. Getting touchwhiz, blur, sense and other skins to work. Plus the carriers have to make sure their device "improvements" work with the new version. Problem is though, reading these forums there are some people who do like the skins and some who don't. That's why I wish when you boot an android phone the first time it would ask what type of android you would like. And later if you decide vanilla isn't for you, reset back and choose the skinned version and vice versa. Then let Google update the vanilla versions, and let the manufacturer update the skinned version. Problem solved.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
  17. #17  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    That's why I wish when you boot an android phone the first time it would ask what type of android you would like. And later if you decide vanilla isn't for you, reset back and choose the skinned version and vice versa. Then let Google update the vanilla versions, and let the manufacturer update the skinned version. Problem solved.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Even with a non-skinned version of Android, it still would need to be customized by the manufacturer to match each devices specs. Google is not going to take responsibility to do that, and they shouldn't have to. So don't expect a dual boot option to ever be available straight from the manufacturer.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    A lot of people bought the Nexus s because it was suppose to have updates from Google and first and all the did was a half ace attempt. So all the blame can't all go on manufacturers. Also from the looks of it even if you get the flagship phone you at best can hope for one version update and Google forgets about you forever. If a person wants to root and go custom then any phone can fill that job.

    Google should announce 6.0 so there is hope 4.0 will be received by some by next year at this time. I think Google is like the Wizard of oz and behind the curtain is one geek waiting for outside developers to figure it out and the tweek it out the door.

    ADD medicine should be distributed to Google and make them focus on one good software version and end these half done attempts.

    A very disappointed Nexus s owner.
  19. #19  
    rizzman's Avatar

    Posts
    142 Posts
    ROM
    Whatever google wants...

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Even with a non-skinned version of Android, it still would need to be customized by the manufacturer to match each devices specs. Google is not going to take responsibility to do that, and they shouldn't have to. So don't expect a dual boot option to ever be available straight from the manufacturer.
    Agreed. The manufacturers are also to blame.. I hate when they make the claim that they are not in the software end of the business so that is why they are slow to put out updates. I am sorry but the moment you tinker around skinning an android version, guess what, you just put yourself into the software end of things. So they should rightfully so be held accountable for the os update fiasco that currently is happening with android.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by rizzman View Post
    Agreed. The manufacturers are also to blame.. I hate when they make the claim that they are not in the software end of the business so that is why they are slow to put out updates. I am sorry but the moment you tinker around skinning an android version, guess what, you just put yourself into the software end of things. So they should rightfully so be held accountable for the os update fiasco that currently is happening with android.

    Samsung, HTC, and Motorola should then take their top two phones for the given year, submit them to google and google should then take the lead on applying their software to those phones and push the updates out. Again, I think this is the thing that drives people to apple, no one on the android side of things wants to take any responsibility for software updates. Everyone points the finger and at the end of the day their answer is, "buy a new phone".
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default

    Ok so jelly bean is confirmed to come out towards the end of the year. And now they are talking about key lime pie.the version after jelly bean. I would like to have ice cream sandwich before these come out. Lol

    Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk!
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    its almost as if apple bought out all the great names for os platforms lol definitley different names! but then again who wants to be plain?! iphone has huge success because they keep it the same for people who are hooked with there teenage ipod experience haha i would like to see more time before all these os drops
  23. #23  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by weston87 View Post
    Ok so jelly bean is confirmed to come out towards the end of the year. And now they are talking about key lime pie.the version after jelly bean. I would like to have ice cream sandwich before these come out. Lol

    Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk!
    Who confirmed this? It hasn't even been officially announced by Google. This is still just talk. Show me the official press release.
  24. #24  
    blackjaguar25's Avatar
    Thunderbolter

    Posts
    595 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Who confirmed this? It hasn't even been officially announced by Google. This is still just talk. Show me the official press release.
    They also announced Key Lime Pie.
  25. #25  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Android 5 aka jelly bean!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackjaguar25 View Post
    They also announced Key Lime Pie.
    I'm not arguing that we haven't heard these names, but neither has been OFFICIALLY announced by Google. They are just talk amongst the many tech sites and blogs on the net.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B