[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a white Murcielago a few times near my apartment. In other news, car photoshoot is off. Typical heavy Seattle rain just moved in..

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone.

I'm in need of assistance/advice/help.

My step-daughter brought me her tablet to see if I can fix it. It is a ViewSonic ViewPad 10s. I know it's running Android (3.x I assume, I'm pretty sure its not ICS or JB). It powers up. First a cartoon Android is on the screen, then what I assume is the Viewsonic bootscreen (looks like some kind of bird) comes up. Soon after, the screen goes black, and the Viewsonic bootscreen/bird thing comes back on. After this cycles a few times it just shuts down. She says if it DOES manage to fully boot up, almost any app will FC.

I'm thinking I need to re-flash the factory ROM. But I need to find one. And I need to see how possible that is. I've hacked into my Gnex and my N7. Skinned Android is something I haven't attempted to hack into.

Any ideas?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone.

My step-daughter brought me her tablet to see if I can fix it. It is a ViewSonic ViewPad 10s. I know it's running Android (3.x I assume, I'm pretty sure its not ICS or JB). It powers up. First a cartoon Android is on the screen, then what I assume is the Viewsonic bootscreen (looks like some kind of bird) comes up. Soon after, the screen goes black, and the Viewsonic bootscreen/bird thing comes back on. After this cycles a few times it just shuts down. She says if it DOES manage to fully boot up, almost any app will FC.

I'm thinking I need to re-flash the factory ROM. But I need to find one. And I need to see how possible that is. I've hacked into my Gnex and my N7. Skinned Android is something I haven't attempted to hack into.

Any ideas?

It shouldn't be hard if you can find a stock image somewhere. XDA might have one floating around if you can find the right device forum. It's such a niche device that you'll have a hard time finding much anywhere else in my opinion.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't be hard if you can find a stock image somewhere. XDA might have one floating around if you can find the right device forum. It's such a niche device that you'll have a hard time finding much anywhere else in my opinion.

Yeah, its the "niche device" bit that has me a little concerned... Oh well, I told her I wasn't promising anything and she was OK with that. I also have to find a male to male USB cord somewhere. (I was kinda surprised to see that it has a full-sized USB port, right beside the HDMI. Odd....)

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, its the "niche device" bit that has me a little concerned... Oh well, I told her I wasn't promising anything and she was OK with that. I also have to find a male to male USB cord somewhere. (I was kinda surprised to see that it has a full-sized USB port, right beside the HDMI. Odd....)
here is the stock image for the device,and the usb driver:)
ViewSonic - Knowledge Base

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone.

Any ideas?

As Patrick said, try XDA. I've never heard of this device, but maybe people over there have.

If it's unreliable, Nexus 7's are pretty cheap...

-Edit- NIN saves the day! :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Facebook Home is definitely not for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I doubt it will be for me either. Once the apk is out I'll try it out on my gnex/N7 but I'll be surprised if it stays on more then a few days at best... A few hours more likely

Sent from my Nexus 7

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it will be for me either. Once the apk is out I'll try it out on my gnex/N7 but I'll be surprised if it stays on more then a few days at best... A few hours more likely

Sent from my Nexus 7

You can also simply turn it on from settings in the updated FB app. If no likey, turn it off.

Edit: that's after you dl the Home app first of course.

Sent from my SCH-I605

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I got an update today but I didn't see any settings for using Home or turning it on. Not surprised, I thought I read somewhere that Home is US only for now.

Sent from my Nexus 7

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I got an update today but I didn't see any settings for using Home or turning it on. Not surprised, I thought I read somewhere that Home is US only for now.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yeah...you'll need that apk first. I assume it should work that way on your gnex.

Sent from my SCH-I605

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If your device isn't on the list of ones supported you have to edit your build prop before installing the Home apk. Hence why my tapatalk signature says I'm rocking a Verizon S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis