[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had Facebook on my phone or tablet for a few months now. Starting to cut the cord.

Deleting the app is one thing but I have heard its very hard or near impossible to delete your account on FB. Or you have to jump thru major hoops. They really don't like you quitting. Facebook is meh to me.
Any truth to how hard to delete account?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I keep attaching a pic in tapatalk, then when I turn my phone sideways to type the post, it just gets rid of the pic. Drives me f'ing insane. I hate Tapatalk. I was having a discussion with myself earlier about which app I hate more, Tapatalk or Facebook. Couldn't decide, lol. Probably Tapatalk because I can take or leave a Facebook app, but I need Tapatalk

I absolutely hate having to deal with this, and I'm coming from a developer's point of view. When an Android device's orientation changes, the foreground application's activities are destroyed and re-created. When this happens, Android uses two things to re-create it. First, it uses the default XML layout defined for that activity. Second, it uses a set of "saved state" information to preserve the exact state the activity was in (such as entered text). You get the same basic screen, re-created for the new screen dimensions. The problem with this is that, in some instances, actions taken out programmatically (such as adding layout elements at runtime) may not be correctly carried across this rotation behavior.

If any of you run into applications with this oversight in the future, shoot the developer an email/leave them feedback. Include a link to this page, or paraphrase this quote:

Caution: Your activity will be destroyed and recreated each time the user rotates the screen. When the screen changes orientation, the system destroys and recreates the foreground activity because the screen configuration has changed and your activity might need to load alternative resources (such as the layout).

By default, the system uses the Bundle instance state to save information about each View object in your activity layout (such as the text value entered into an EditText object). So, if your activity instance is destroyed and recreated, the state of the layout is restored to its previous state with no code required by you. However, your activity might have more state information that you'd like to restore, such as member variables that track the user's progress in the activity.

Note: In order for the Android system to restore the state of the views in your activity, each view must have a unique ID, supplied by the android:id attribute.

My guess is that the View holding your attachment's information and thumbnail was not given an ID because it was assigned programmatically. Thus, the view is essentially "lost" in the rotation. I tried to keep this from being really technical (this is chatter, after all), but if anyone is really interested let me know. ;)

Finally, this:

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Deleting the app is one thing but I have heard its very hard or near impossible to delete your account on FB. Or you have to jump thru major hoops. They really don't like you quitting. Facebook is meh to me.

I think you can deactivate your account. But everything you upload/post is Facebook's property so you can't actually delete it.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I deactivated mine three weeks ago, and it's truly a relaxing, liberating thing to do. Deactivating it removes your profile, search results, etc. It will leave sent and received messages intact (so you can send a couple right before deactivating it if you so desire), and you can still be tagged in photos.

It takes about a minute to do. Hassle-free. As far as truly removing your account, though, I haven't bothered. If I really didn't want my information in their services, I surely wouldn't have allowed it there. ;)

1. Click the account menu at the top right of any Facebook page
  2. Choose Account Settings
  3. Select Security from the left-hand menu
  4. Click on "Deactivate your account"

Good night Chatter. I trust the night shift will carry on. :)

HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you can deactivate your account. But everything you upload/post is Facebook's property so you can't actually delete it.

dont use it on my phone or tab at all. think about deleting fb every day. hate that evil shiz

In the few minutes since my last post, I went on FB and deactivated my account. And actually deleting is fairly simple. So I heard wrong, it aint hard at all.

LOL @ zero yah its no good. Infringes too much on privacy. I don't need all the stupid crap that all the "friends" spew. Tis evil alright yea

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
In the few minutes since my last post, I went on FB and deactivated my account. And actually deleting is fairly simple. So I heard wrong, it aint hard at all.

LOL @ zero yah its no good. Infringes too much on privacy. I don't need all the stupid crap that all the "friends" spew. Tis evil alright yea

the problem i have is for school stuff - heads up on if class is cancelled, things to go to, etc.

and i guess being loosely in touch with people i would otherwise never hear from. but idc much about them anyway, otherwise we'd be in touch yano.

wish i could erase it all tho - dont want fb owning any of that. not pleased with google drive policy, either.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've got about 30 friends, down from around 400. Those 30 people, Facebook is the best option to keep in touch with them, so I will have my account for as long as necessary. It just irritates me that after my 2+ years(ish) as an Android user, that has always been the most consistently horrible app and has NEVER worked correctly. It's bull . There's no excuse for it.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Can't get too much of mangod Rick. I've seen this so many times but hell this guy has some style hahahahahaaha.
Every single time I just ROFLMAO X 100