[Chatter] "Where everybody knows your name ..."

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Alright, kids. Looking for a 5.1 system with an optical and / or coaxial input, or one that will do HDMI switching. Legit 5.1, not some fake expanded stereo B.S. Would like to avoid a HTIB because I already have a Blu-ray player but worst-case if the price is right I can always try to sell the player. Under $250. Do your worst.

Edit: I misread the specs. No optical input on this, but I'll leave it here.

Newegg.com - MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1CH Premium Home Theater Speaker System Black System

Consisting of a powered subwoofer with 10" driver and a built in 360 watts Dynamic Peak/120 watts RMS amplifier, four satellites featuring 1" titanium dome tweeters and 4-1/2" poly cone woofers, a center speaker equipped with a 1" titanium dome tweeter and two 3-1/2" poly cone woofers, the MartinLogan MLT-2 5.1 system provides premium surround sound at an affordable price.

From a review:

"Comparing the value of this set to all other $300-$500 5.1 speaker sets and it's a no brainer. Compare the specs and you'll find the MLT-2 has larger tweeters (1" vs. .75"), and larger woofers (4.5" vs. 3-4"), and larger sub woofers (10" vs. 8") than everything else with similar prices. even the takes, the klipshs, the polks, etc..."​

You'll be hard-pressed to find a 5.1 system of this quality with some sort of receiver setup that will accept optical/coax or multiple HDMI connections. Those alone will run the budget up.

Edit, again: check this out. You could pick this up at a pretty good bargain and have ~100 left over to get some sort of cheap optical receiver or something. Newegg.com - Polk Audio RM6750 Black 5.1CH Home Theater Speaker System

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Lumenii. I will definitely look into this. I know the optical / coax / HDMI (one of the three, preferably optical or coax) is something that I want so I can have the legit surround experience, unless this can just be passed through HDMI, I'm not much of a home A/V buff but I want to get the most out of my setup. I have a 2.1 fake-surround soundbar now but it just isn't cutting it, and the sub doesn't go as low-end as I'd like. I definitely miss some of the hard hits that I had on my old system which was a simple Sony home stereo with composite inputs for right and left. It will be used for music as much as movies.

Edit -- that leads me to another question, if I plug a 7.1 source (which most of my Blurays are) into a 5.1 system does it just throw out the other two channels and I get a "lesser" legit surround experience or does it just pump left/right channels through all 5 speakers?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Happy Friday ChatterHeads :)
Still calling for sleet,snow freezing rain starting around noon.
Snow is cool,sleet an freezing rain not

sent from my nexus

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Lumenii. I will definitely look into this. I know the optical / coax / HDMI (one of the three, preferably optical or coax) is something that I want so I can have the legit surround experience, unless this can just be passed through HDMI, I'm not much of a home A/V buff but I want to get the most out of my setup. I have a 2.1 fake-surround soundbar now but it just isn't cutting it, and the sub doesn't go as low-end as I'd like. I definitely miss some of the hard hits that I had on my old system which was a simple Sony home stereo with composite inputs for right and left. It will be used for music as much as movies.

Edit -- that leads me to another question, if I plug a 7.1 source (which most of my Blurays are) into a 5.1 system does it just throw out the other two channels and I get a "lesser" legit surround experience or does it just pump left/right channels through all 5 speakers?

Most 5.1 systems use some sort of wire connectors meant to be connected to the final outputs of a receiver.

You will probably have to invest in a decent receiver for truly high-quality audio, and any such receiver will have optical in and multiple HDMI inputs. Any HDMI cable you buy today can handle 5.1- and 7.1-channel surround sound.

As for down-sampling 7.1, I'm actually not sure. I believe it will still play the extra two channels through the appropriate supplied speakers, but I can't make any guarantees. It may depend on the receiver.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Morning folks...

Still sick, feel like crap.

Enjoy your weekend guys.

BTW it's actually snowing in Chicago sub burbs for a change.. Just an inch basically but that's a milestone compared to our whole record breaking 1.2 inch snow fall here this season.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I had a bet with myself on Johnly being the first person to see and/or like my post with Can You Feel The Love Tonight embedded.

I won.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't have 3G here (and it would have been far more than a 2 hour drive, each direction, to get into one), so I just bought one on eBay for about $400 (including overnight shipping). T-Mobile told me I could stop by and "look" at their display models and ask as many questions as I wanted. No thanks.

Has anyone else picked up a G1? If so, where and how much? Are you using it yet? I can't wait for mine to arrive :)

And thanked for good measure!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
what did you win :p

Psychic powers.

Success.gif

^ Also, random quote bug ftw. Do people get notifications of these randomly-quoted posts? I can imagine that being quite confusing.

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Happy Friday kids. Anyone know how to delete music from Google Play from your phone? I added a bunch of stuff last night and some of it duplicated.

Sent from my blazing HTC One X+
Orange & Blue through and through...Go Gators!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Love the nearby events feature in google now.
Reverend Horton Heat at the Ognen theater tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So far WeatherBug has had the most accurate forecast from the begining of the week to right now :)
Think im sticking with them for awhile

sent from my nexus

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Happy Friday kids. Anyone know how to delete music from Google Play from your phone? I added a bunch of stuff last night and some of it duplicated.

Sent from my blazing HTC One X+
Orange & Blue through and through...Go Gators!

So you searched your sdcard for those songs? I never have used music from google play but apps I have used in past stored music on my sdcard either regular sdcard or virtule sdcard i dont know what type of sdcard the HTC One has
The apps i used for music one app put the music in : sdcard>music
Another app put music in sdcard>media>music

sent from my nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1