Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 202
Like Tree6Likes
  1. #176  
    Saiga's Avatar

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    I am really really late to the conversation. I didn't read the vast majority of the posts here. I hate Apple, would never even consider owning an iPhone, but I can see why people would think of Android as the cheap iPhone or the poor mans smartphone.

    Plenty of Android phones come out with a high price tag, but how many people actually pay money for them? A lot of people with Android devices get whatever is the best at the time that is free and it has been like that for a long time. Android is the new dumb phone as far as pricing goes. It used to be people went and either paid $200 for a smartphone or they picked the flashiest looking free dumb phone they could find. Now people literally walk into the carrier store and purchase Android phones the same exact way.

    The common everyday person doesn't see any value in a specific phone over the mountain of free ones. The Apple fans will spend the money for the iPhone because it is the iPhone, but for any other smartphone they expect it to be free now. Even die hard Android fan friends of mine are that way now. That is the main thing that is killing Nokia and RIM in my opinion. People don't want to pay the money for a Windows phone or a BlackBerry phone when they can just walkout with a free Android device.
  2. #177  

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    Saiga,

    You seem to be assuming/implying that one can get an Android phone for less than an iPhone, so that's why people get Android phones. You also seem to assume the free or really cheap Android phones are inferior built phones.

    Neither assumption/implication is accurate.

    Here's a link to the AT&T iPhone site. AT&T is providing the 3GS for free and the 4 for only $49.
    iPhone Deals and Packages - Shop - from AT&T

    Verizon offers phones of similar age of the 3GS for free and some more recent phones for $49. None of which can be considered inferior built. In fact, the Samsung Charge was Verizon's flagship Android phone last Summer.

    Everyone has the freedom of choice to get a free (or really low cost) iPhone or Android phone. There is little to no difference between the marketing of these two rival products.

    BTW, I am absolutely certain that some people on this very thread would swear a free 3GS or a $49 iPhone4 would beat the tar out of the phones Verizon is offering for free or for $49. ;-)

    No, people are not flocking to Android because you can get one for free. They can just as easily get a free (or cheap) iPhone.
    Last edited by Maikai.Guy; 05-27-2012 at 04:46 PM.
  3. #178  

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    Totally agree with Maikai.Guy. There are options from both platforms at all price ranges. The misconception that Android phones are "cheap" comes from what I mentioned in an earlier post...the manufacturers can afford to release less expensive devices because of the multitude of revenue streams they have. Apple cannot afford, and simply does not want to do that with their new devices, it is not their business model. They make most of their money from hardware sales (43% from iPhone sales alone).

    Google makes over 95% of their revenue from advertising, Samsung/Sony/Motorola make billions from a multitude of revenue streams other than mobile devices. But the top end Android devices (and even some of the mid-range devices) are easily as nice or nicer from a quality/build perspective than the iPhone, in my opinion. And let's not forget that Android device mfgs are pumping out a multitude of models throughout the year, so they are not banking on any one single design to carry the load at any point in time.

    People are picking Android over Apple in the smartphone arena because of the choices they have with devices both in price and manufacturer, and the ability to customize as much or as little as they want to make their purchase feel like it truly is their own. Apple is falling behind here, and I'm not sure what, if anything, they will do to step up their game. I think the new iPhone coming this year will be a really important release for Apple in more ways than one.
  4. #179  
    Saiga's Avatar

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maikai.Guy View Post
    Saiga,

    You seem to be assuming/implying that one can get an Android phone for less than an iPhone, so that's why people get Android phones. You also seem to assume the free or really cheap Android phones are inferior built phones.

    Neither assumption/implication is accurate.

    Here's a link to the AT&T iPhone site. AT&T is providing the 3GS for free and the 4 for only $49.
    iPhone Deals and Packages - Shop - from AT&T

    Verizon offers phones of similar age of the 3GS for free and some more recent phones for $49. None of which can be considered inferior built. In fact, the Samsung Charge was Verizon's flagship Android phone last Summer.

    Everyone has the freedom of choice to get a free (or really low cost) iPhone or Android phone. There is little to no difference between the marketing of these two rival products.

    BTW, I am absolutely certain that some people on this very thread would swear a free 3GS or a $49 iPhone4 would beat the tar out of the phones Verizon is offering for free or for $49. ;-)

    No, people are not flocking to Android because you can get one for free. They can just as easily get a free (or cheap) iPhone.
    I wasn't assuming either of those things. lol you read way way too much into what I was saying and turned it into some strange iOS vs Android thing trying to justify why people buy Android.

    I was saying Android is the new dumb phone to a lot of people. The majority of consumers are not on the web researching their next phone purchase. Increasingly people will take the free Android phone they know nothing about over the $200 Android phone they also know nothing about. Even some of my own friends who are on the web researching their next phone purchase stick to free Android phones.

    Has nothing to do with quality or os wars or anything like that. If I stop and think about all the people I know who have an Android phone, most of them got whatever was free at the time.
    Thanked by:
  5. #180  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,840 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,847 Global Posts

    Default

    For consumers, the iPhone being much more expensive is a myth.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  6. #181  

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I wasn't assuming either of those things. lol you read way way too much into what I was saying and turned it into some strange iOS vs Android thing trying to justify why people buy Android.

    I was saying Android is the new dumb phone to a lot of people. The majority of consumers are not on the web researching their next phone purchase. Increasingly people will take the free Android phone they know nothing about over the $200 Android phone they also know nothing about. Even some of my own friends who are on the web researching their next phone purchase stick to free Android phones.

    Has nothing to do with quality or os wars or anything like that. If I stop and think about all the people I know who have an Android phone, most of them got whatever was free at the time.
    Sorry, I don't understand where you're coming from. On one hand, you say Android is the new dumb phone because you can get one for free. When I point out that iPhone can had just as free, you balk?

    Pardon me for being painfully obvious here... but the context of this particular thread compares Android phones to iPhones. Perhaps you think you're in a different thread?

    I'm not turning it into "some strange iOS vs Android thing", it already is some strange iOS versus Android thread by the clear intent of the OP.
  7. #182  
    furygoalbrtis39's Avatar

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.20 Stock, AOKP

    Default

    What's sad to me is that most "average consumers" think that the iPhone is the best phone on the market. There are just so many things wrong with it just like every other phone.
    Like just the other day, my friends and I were talking about the iPhone, and I said "its really not all that great" and their jaws dropped.
    I think that the iPhone is a cheap version of android with the latest iOS 5 update.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
    -Stephen Roberts
  8. #183  
    Saiga's Avatar

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maikai.Guy View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand where you're coming from. On one hand, you say Android is the new dumb phone because you can get one for free. When I point out that iPhone can had just as free, you balk?
    My original post included this.

    The common everyday person doesn't see any value in a specific phone over the mountain of free ones. The Apple fans will spend the money for the iPhone because it is the iPhone, but for any other smartphone they expect it to be free now. Even die hard Android fan friends of mine are that way now. That is the main thing that is killing Nokia and RIM in my opinion. People don't want to pay the money for a Windows phone or a BlackBerry phone when they can just walkout with a free Android device.
    Apple fans buy the latest anything Apple, they line up all over the world for it. Consumers are all about paying for an iOS device. The same can't be said for Android.

    Again I hate Apple. But I am smart enough to realize that a lot of people happily pay money for Apple crap. I can't think of a single person I know personally who has a iPhone that was free.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #184  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    My original post included this.



    Apple fans buy the latest anything Apple, they line up all over the world for it. Consumers are all about paying for an iOS device. The same can't be said for Android.

    Again I hate Apple. But I am smart enough to realize that a lot of people happily pay money for Apple crap. I can't think of a single person I know personally who has a iPhone that was free.
    Well this won't be so true once the S3 drops.

    Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note
    Great art stretches the taste, it doesnt follow tastes
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
  10. #185  
    Saiga's Avatar

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phonemaster123 View Post
    Well this won't be so true once the S3 drops.

    Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note
    True. Samsung has done very well lately.

    Actually isn't Samsung the only Android OEM that is profitable now? I think HTC lost money last quarter.
  11. #186  

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    My original post included this.

    The common everyday person doesn't see any value in a specific phone over the mountain of free ones. The Apple fans will spend the money for the iPhone because it is the iPhone, but for any other smartphone they expect it to be free now. Even die hard Android fan friends of mine are that way now. That is the main thing that is killing Nokia and RIM in my opinion. People don't want to pay the money for a Windows phone or a BlackBerry phone when they can just walkout with a free Android device.

    Apple fans buy the latest anything Apple, they line up all over the world for it. Consumers are all about paying for an iOS device. The same can't be said for Android.

    Again I hate Apple. But I am smart enough to realize that a lot of people happily pay money for Apple crap. I can't think of a single person I know personally who has a iPhone that was free.
    I read it the first time. That part is not hard to understand. You're claiming Android is sucking up the low end of the market because they have free and deeply discounted phones.

    Just because you don't know anyone who selected a free iPhone under contract doesn't mean they are not available. I don't know anyone who selected a free Android phone, but that fact doesn't cause me to believe they don't exist.

    ...or are you acknowledging both phones are available for free, but you are attempting to claim people (for reasons unknown) only choose free Android phones?

    What am I missing here? I'd like to understand your point, but honestly, your logic escapes me.
    Last edited by Maikai.Guy; 05-27-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  12. #187  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,840 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,847 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by furygoalbrtis39 View Post
    What's sad to me is that most "average consumers" think that the iPhone is the best phone on the market. There are just so many things wrong with it just like every other phone.
    Like just the other day, my friends and I were talking about the iPhone, and I said "its really not all that great" and their jaws dropped.
    I think that the iPhone is a cheap version of android with the latest iOS 5 update.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    What's best for you might not be best for someone else.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  13. #188  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    True. Samsung has done very well lately.

    Actually isn't Samsung the only Android OEM that is profitable now? I think HTC lost money last quarter.
    Yeah they had a good year this year galaxy nexus galaxy note and the upcoming sg3

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
  14. #189  

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    Very good points . knowledgeable discussion
  15. #190  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phonemaster123 View Post
    So I know that Android has high-end smartphones just like Apple's iPhone. Also Android has phone far more capable and more customizable then Apple's single handset. My question is why can't Android shake that cheap iPhone status that seems to have iPhone users and the blogosphere run to that tune. Is Android really the cheap iPhone in the american tech publics eyes regardless of the feature rich android devices? does the hardware decide which one is the high echelon of devices?
    I think that stigma might be because of the fact that there are more cheap android phones than high end phones, $.01 phones are all over carrier sites. Why do you think android also has such a high market share.
  16. #191  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by furygoalbrtis39 View Post
    What's sad to me is that most "average consumers" think that the iPhone is the best phone on the market. There are just so many things wrong with it just like every other phone.
    Like just the other day, my friends and I were talking about the iPhone, and I said "its really not all that great" and their jaws dropped.
    I think that the iPhone is a cheap version of android with the latest iOS 5 update.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I'm sorry but there are. Lot of cheap crappy android phones that can be had for $.01. The iPhone is far superior than these phones.
  17. #192  
    pmoser's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    ROM
    CM7 and Incredikernel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
    I think that stigma might be because of the fact that there are more cheap android phones than high end phones, $.01 phones are all over carrier sites. Why do you think android also has such a high market share.
    Because its the better operating system, Apple has a 1 sent phone and an 100 dollar phone. I don't like when people use the lowend phones as an excuse for androids msrketshare

    Sent from my DROID Incredible
  18. #193  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmoser View Post
    Because its the better operating system, Apple has a 1 sent phone and an 100 dollar phone. I don't like when people use the lowend phones as an excuse for androids msrketshare

    Sent from my DROID Incredible
    But that's a fact. How do you think they figure that in. If they only took the top 5 high end phones from android I think we'd see a much different Marketshare. Wouldn't you agree? I mean there are hundreds of android phones. Over saturate the market & of course you get higher Marketshare.
  19. #194  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,840 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,847 Global Posts

    Default

    There's a good number of Android fans that still believe the iPhone is "expensive".

    That could also add to the perception of Android being cheap.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  20. #195  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default

    its not bout being cheap its about getting what u pay for I'll rather pay 500 for a sgs3 than any iPhone period

    Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2
  21. #196  
    Speedygi's Avatar

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

    Default

    The Iphone is still the most expensive phone unsubsidized. I remember getting a Blackberry Bold 9900 with a couple accessories and it still ended up being cheaper than any 64 G Iphone 4s sans contract. It goes to show how much of a sum the carriers pay to get those Iphones into consumers ' hands. It's crazy.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  22. #197  

    Default

    How is android low end? Mine definitely is not a low end device.

    Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
  23. #198  
    tirith's Avatar
    Resident Linux Fiend

    Posts
    1,590 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

    Default

    The sgs3 is 650 no contract... Such as the photon was.

    Honestly, I don't see a point of buying a 64gb iPoS with the cloud available...

    Sent using my MoPho-King photon
  24. #199  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    The sgs3 is 650 no contract... Such as the photon was.

    Honestly, I don't see a point of buying a 64gb iPoS with the cloud available...

    Sent using my MoPho-King photon
    Storage capacity on a device becomes very important now with the data caps. I would hate to have to continually upload pics, vids, and music into the cloud and then have to pull them back again when my data is limited.


    Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  25. #200  

    Default Re: Android Cheap iPhones?

    Even though comparing the two is apple and oranges ...Im gonna agree that Android is a poor mans iphone! But that shouldn't be interpreted as a bad thing. Android is the blue collar OS of the smartphone world. I can't afford to pay for music and movies; therefore the benefits of android appeals to me. android makes it easier to get hold of media, all without ever syncing to a computer. Android provides an area of freedom mostly appreciated by users with less disposable income Unchecking the box to allow out of market downloads is the equivalent to the results of jailbreaking an iphone.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions