Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree43Likes

Default Re: SLCD, SAMOLED, Pentile, RGB Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    It's hard to find information on the screen tech that HTC uses. My best guess would be (aside from the resolution) would be improved color accuracy and contrast ratio. But honestly it might just be the resolution.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
    Both of those things are touted as well as improved power efficiency
    Galaxy Nexus (EE) - Rooted Stock 4.2.1 w/ latest Franco Kernel nightly
    Nexus 7 - Completely Stock 4.2.1

I find my s3 screen has so much better and saturated colour than any lcd on the market, the only thing I find bad about the pentile samoled is the brightness and how bad the screen is in the sun

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #78  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    I find my s3 screen has so much better and saturated colour than any lcd on the market, the only thing I find bad about the pentile samoled is the brightness and how bad the screen is in the sun

Better by what definition? Not better technically, as per measured tests. But a LOT of people prefer the look of AMOLED displays because they are generally "cooler" and the colors "pop" more because of the over saturation.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post

over-saturation =/ better colors.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Galaxy S4 apparently has a new Sub Pixel layout; and I found an comparing the screens of some of todays best phones.

The Galaxy S4 look's hella green from the close up.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #81  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by icyrock1 View Post

Galaxy S4 apparently has a new Sub Pixel layout; and I found an comparing the screens of some of todays best phones.

The Galaxy S4 look's hella green from the close up.
    Notice that the S3 AND S4 look green.

Behold The Samsung Galaxy S4. With a Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M color and a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
    Oh when will they come out with a Super AMOLED+ HD screen. It's 2013 Come on! I'll have to research it. It's been a year since this post.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #83  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,904 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerBens View Post
    Behold The Samsung Galaxy S4. With a Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M color and a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
    Oh when will they come out with a Super AMOLED+ HD screen. It's 2013 Come on! I'll have to research it. It's been a year since this post.
    Nobody knows.

Thanks for sharing the nice and useful information. Good Job Done keep it up.
    Thanked by:
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.

Thin is over rated, and always comes at the expense of battery capacity.

Give me a couple more millimeters of battery please.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    sluma likes this.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

Great information thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Honestly I prefer the Samsung amoled screens on android phones. It just "wows" people when they see the vibrant colors. But I prefer the retina displays on the iPhone 4s/5.

Sent from where the wild things are.

For me it would only matter if I'm choosing a CRT (massive, fat tv screen) or a chronographic screen (if I don't have the name wrong its the screen you see on scientific calculators and old old phones)

Though I'd prefer to stay away from OLED, they tend to leave image burns or ghost images on white.

AMOLEDs have better colors, contrast and all but the whites are putting me off. It's either they're inaccurate (bluish, pinkish) or just plain dirty (yellowish, brownish). So I prefer IPS LCD.

I had 2 HTC Desires a few years ago, my first one was AMOLED and I gave that to my father and got a second Desire, second one turned out to have SLCD (and that was when HTC ran out of AMOLED displays in their batch), I recognized the difference immediately- AMOLED seems to have a more white than SLCD. The SLCD's white seems like a cream color. The Optimus LTE was IPS (same as iPad 1st and 2nd gen) and HTC One X was SLCD then going to the Moto X which is AMOLED I couldn't believe the difference, with AMOLED, if I'm reading something on the browser then I look up at the TV or computer screen, everything looks orange or pink for a few seconds and that didn't happen with SLCD or IPS.
    Motorola Moto X (rooted/unlocked 4.4.2)
    HTC One X (4.1.1)
    Asus Memo Pad 10 ME301T (rooted 4.2.1)

hello wellcome to this forum I recently read an ad HTC has comparing the SAMOLED screen and the SLCD2 screen of the One X. They included a picture of the One X screens ability to actually produce the color white.
    --------------------

I think, like others have said, the white is what tells the screens apart. With the super high resolution screens that are being used, pentile is no longer the huge issue it used to be, especially with samsung going to the diamond layout of pixels. Now do many wish pentile in general would go away? I am sure they do, but for now and with the 2k rumored displays for this years devices, I think the white balance of SAMOLED is what needs to be fixed and then it won't be such a low point for those screens.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234