Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Larry Page had a terrible showing on the stand in landmark case with Androids future on the line.

    “Great art stretches the taste, it doesn’t follow tastes”
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
  2. #2  
    tony bag o donuts's Avatar
    Resident Ringtone Maker

    Posts
    3,904 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Let's face it....they all steal from each other.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Who is they though. Oracle isnt RIM or Apple?
    “Great art stretches the taste, it doesn’t follow tastes”
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
  4. #4  
    tony bag o donuts's Avatar
    Resident Ringtone Maker

    Posts
    3,904 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

    Default

    didn't oracle sue Microsoft at one point?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    Yea and they won that case too.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    “Great art stretches the taste, it doesn’t follow tastes”
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
  6. #6  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    This is HUGE. Every fan of Android should be paying VERY close attention to this case.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Yea I don't see why Android websites aren't making this a priority on there cover pages.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    “Great art stretches the taste, it doesn’t follow tastes”
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    As important as it is, I have a difficult time following it because everyone is suing different parts of Android lately. Getting so sick of corporations acting like they created the Earth
  9. #9  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Quote Originally Posted by phonemaster123 View Post
    Yea I don't see why Android websites aren't making this a priority on there cover pages.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Because there will be little or no affect to Android. Worst case will be that Google will have to pay Oracle for the use of Java. It's not like Google would abandon Android if they lose the case. It's the most prolific mobile OS out there.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Because there will be little or no affect to Android. Worst case will be that Google will have to pay Oracle for the use of Java. It's not like Google would abandon Android if they lose the case. It's the most prolific mobile OS out there.
    It gets a bit more involved than that. Oracle will have made the case that programming languages and APIs can be copyrighted, and protected by the same set of laws that keep Steamboat Willie from going into the public domain. Then, it becomes possible to sue other companies/projects for using a same or similar namespace (IBM and their use of OpenJDK, Apache Harmony), and anyone using Java will need to 'license' its use from Oracle.

    All the evidence i've seen shows systematic failures from the highest levels of Google management. This seems to be chronic given all the legal issues they've been dragged into over the years, with blatant personal feelings towards the state of various laws driving them. This is the behavior that will cause Google's shareholders to throw Larry, Sergey, Eric, and any other managers out the door.

    And I can't blame them. I've had my fill with this.
  11. #11  
    SellnCLT85's Avatar

    Posts
    106 Posts
    ROM
    Liberty 3 2.0

    Default

    Keep in mind a couple of things. Steve Jobs and Larry Ellison(Oracle CEO) were best friends. Google is being sued for using a technique with Java (37 api's) that was considered Ok with Sun Micro systems. I read somewhere that Google could have settled for less than 50 million.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Google stands up for what it believes in, free and open internet and computing. I can see why they are fighting something that would mean programming language is protected, if they settled they would be saying they don't believe in that openness that has marked their history.
  13. #13  
    pazzo02's Avatar

    Posts
    1,031 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Quote Originally Posted by herpofderpius View Post
    It gets a bit more involved than that. Oracle will have made the case that programming languages and APIs can be copyrighted, and protected by the same set of laws that keep Steamboat Willie from going into the public domain. Then, it becomes possible to sue other companies/projects for using a same or similar namespace (IBM and their use of OpenJDK, Apache Harmony), and anyone using Java will need to 'license' its use from Oracle.

    All the evidence i've seen shows systematic failures from the highest levels of Google management. This seems to be chronic given all the legal issues they've been dragged into over the years, with blatant personal feelings towards the state of various laws driving them. This is the behavior that will cause Google's shareholders to throw Larry, Sergey, Eric, and any other managers out the door.

    And I can't blame them. I've had my fill with this.
    Obviously it's very intricate, it's a lawsuit. I was just trying to simplify what the final outcome will be, that Android will still be around.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    So whats the worst case scenario that happens here? Like how big is this case for Google and android and the future of their phones, OS, etc.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bballbenb1 View Post
    So whats the worst case scenario that happens here? Like how big is this case for Google and android and the future of their phones, OS, etc.
    Realistically the worst case scenario is google loses has to pay 1 Billion dollars in damages, as well as royalties to Oracle, and other companies who manufacture the phones might come across some type of payment plan as well. That's just me talking though.
    “Great art stretches the taste, it doesn’t follow tastes”
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Obviously it's very intricate, it's a lawsuit. I was just trying to simplify what the final outcome will be, that Android will still be around.
    I'm not going to doubt that. Oracle will make a lot of money off Android if they win.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    Quote Originally Posted by herpofderpius View Post
    I'm not going to doubt that. Oracle will make a lot of money off Android if they win.
    That prob the only reason they are suing all for $$$$
  18. #18  
    Speedygi's Avatar

    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,122 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    I don't entirely want to defend Larry and Co for not being upfront by admitting they use Oracle's patents. If I were them I would have just paid the fees for Oracle to license a set of their properties for Android's use, or even tried to work out a partnership if that is possible. With the large resources Google has, I am sure this is a neccessary evil for Android to carry on thriving.
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Google Looking to lose monumental case

    is an excellent source of information on the Oracle/Google trial. If you don't know about Groklaw, it was started during the SCO vs Linux lawsuits and provided interesting and accurate information and analysis about those lawsuits and their possible outcome.

    They're now also covering this lawsuit - it's interesting seeing the misinformation on this thread when you read the analysis of the actual information about the lawsuit. Most of Oracles patents have been either dismissed or reduced in scope by the patent office, the question of how much is owed is down from 'Billions' to only a few million (if Oracle wins).

    The copyright issues seem to be very minimal, if anything - Google is using their own Virtual Machine with no Oracle source (much of it is from the Mozilla Foundation's clean-room developed source). They seem to be mainly down to a handful of actual lines that seem to be copied, but they are also so generic that it could just be the best way to implement the routines.

    Also, Oracle has hired some well known 'Analysts' to spin their point of view in the media and online. Growlaw has analysis about where their 'analysis' is flawed also.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default

    Well here is the week one article put out in the nytimes. So pretty much it comes down to this money. Android right now is free of course but if Oracle wins (which I'm not seeing this happen as the case goes on) Android possibly will not be free anymore. Oracle could get the right to place licensing fees and so on. But this is just me pointing out the worst of what could happen.

    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/21/oracle-vs-google-week-one/
    “Great art stretches the taste, it doesn’t follow tastes”
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.

Posting Permissions

B