Gartner: Android up 45 million units in Q1, Apple up 16M

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php
Gartner is reporting first quarter world-wide smartphone sales and what a quarter it was for Android.

Android vs. Apple
Apple is up 16 million units which is really great until you see that Android is up 45 million units. Android (in purple above) now has over a 55% marketshare and may have already hit a million phones a day. Apple is actually down 2 million units from last quarter. As the smartphone market races from 4.3" to 4.5" and now 4.7-4.8" displays, Apple is still selling the same 3.5" size as 5 years ago.

BlackBerry
BlackBerry broke 10 million but going the wrong way. Blackberry is down to 9.9 million units for the quarter and still shrinking by 1 million units a month for the past year. At this rate BlackBerry is gone in 9 months so if you want a BlackBerry, get them before they are a collectors item. Even BlackBerry's latest offereings barely hit 4".

Symbian
Nokia had said that they will quit making Symbian smartphones within 24 months. But at this rate the market will be done buying Symbian phones by the end of 2012.

Microsoft
Microsoft seems to not be able to get past a few million units a month no matter how much they spend on advertising. Nokia is pushing hard now but Samsung is pulling out of the platform. Even Samsung's internal Bada OS has now passed up Microsoft. Again, size does matter. Even the new Nokia 900 Windows phone has only a 4.3" display, the size first seen in flagship phones 2 years ago.

Source: Gartner Q1 2012 Smartphone Sales.
Also see: A Look Back At Android and the Smartphone Market (Gartner Q4 2011 results)
Other Gartner, Inc. Research Reports: 3Q2011, 2Q2011, 1Q2011, 2010. 3Q2010, 2Q2010, 1Q2010, 4Q2009, 3Q2009, 2Q2009, 1Q2009, etc.

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
As the smartphone market races from 4.3" to 4.5" and now 4.7-4.8" displays, Apple is still selling the same 3.5" size as 5 years ago.

I think that's one big thing that is driving people away from iPhone. People are doing more and more with their phones these days, and a bigger screen is a necessity. Especially when the 4.3"-4.5" phones aren't noticibly bulkier than the iPhone. And Apple continues to insist that their 3.5" is big enough (not meant to sound dirty:p).

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
iphone 5 will be bigger and pull back a whole bunch of defectors this fall. I know at least 10 of these people on my job alone.

anjali_jain

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Its really amazing. Apple is hoping with its iPhone 5 it will increase the market share and Samsung has launched its galaxy S3 so it means the war of round 2 will going to be more interesting. :)

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Apple iPhone 5 needs to be freaking genuis in order to create some magic for apple to pull their sales up..

Not really. While they might not win many new users if there's nothing really special about it, there are still millions of iSheep that will line up in the wee hours of the morning to get it. My wife included:-\

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You know there are isheep, but in a large technology circle as I'm in, there of dozens of people I know on android moving over or back to apple. So its not like they didn't try the alternative.

The Android experience is so fragmented its hard to argue with someone who just wants something that works with little to no tinkering required. Its not easy for the average consumer to see dozens of black slabs in a store and know which one to pick. That takes some research. Patience required. People lack that virtue as a consumer most times.

For me I'm fully invested into the Google cloud services and android serves me the experience the best way. But how common is that?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You know there are isheep, but in a large technology circle as I'm in, there of dozens of people I know on android moving over or back to apple. So its not like they didn't try the alternative.
I'm gonna get flamed for this, I just know it. ;-)

I'm in a large technology circle... arguably the mother of all technology circles... semiconductors. I've been an electrical design engineer in this segment for nearly thirty years. Myself and the vast majority of my associates have moved from iOS to Android. I'll add this... as soon as something better comes along, we will move again. It's not about being anti-Appler or pro-Android.

Within our circles "It just works" is kind of humorous and considered nothing more than a euphemism for "If you're not very bright, use this phone."

I don't seen anyone in my circles going back.

The Android experience is so fragmented its hard to argue with someone who just wants something that works with little to no tinkering required. Its not easy for the average consumer to see dozens of black slabs in a store and know which one to pick. That takes some research. Patience required. People lack that virtue as a consumer most times.
I agree with the fragmentation. Not in regards to Android versions, but to vendor skins, causing each phone to provide a different experience. And don't get me started on their presumptuous grab at our data by separating their contacts list and calendars from Google contacts and calendars. No matter what benefits a skin provides, it always comes with too costly a downside.

I love the idea of Google offering multiple Nexus devices each year. Once people have a true Google experience, they will finally be able to fully appreciate the features and benefits of Android.

For me I'm fully invested into the Google cloud services and android serves me the experience the best way. But how common is that?
With Android dominating the World mobile phone market, owning more than half of it, I'd say it's pretty darn common. ;-)

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Within our circles "It just works" is kind of humorous and considered nothing more than a euphemism for "If you're not very bright, use this phone."

You hit the nail on the head there. From most of my experience reading through the various forums, that's exactly what I feel like saying to some people.

I had an iPhone in the past. For me, iOS is too plain. I'm no engineer, but I pride myself on being a self made tinkerer. When you start to get bored with Android, you can completely remake the look and feel of the UI, even without being rooted. But I think the majority of smartphone users aren't interested in doing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34