More Memory vs. More CPU

panamamike

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at a couple different options in tablets. I've found there are a number of configurations available on the market. My questions.

If I'm faced with a dual core A9 with 512MB vs a single core A9 with 1GB of memory, which would result in better performance?

Seems the extra CPU would be wasted on the reduced available memory, my phone when running a number of apps with 512MB suffers due to lack of memory.

I don't know if throwing more memory vs. CPU would help.

Regards,

Mike

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
For you the CPU will be more important....a tablet with a typical resolution of 1280x800 would run fairly poor on a single-core CPU. The limited RAM will just limit your ability to multi-task, mostly.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
In general, with Android, as long as memory is high enough to not be a bottleneck, more CPU will help. 1gb of memory is generally good enough to not get in the way of things. In your scenario, 512mb is probably too little to comfortably run, so the single core would probably be preferable.

panamamike

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, two different points of view. I ended up ordering a Zenithink c71. After thinking about it for a while, I realized I could have picked up the Nook Tablet with 512MB for another $25.00.

I was drawn to the extra memory and price point, and I was a bit apprehensive about the 512MB on the Nook tablet. It's too bad it's not possible to add more physical memory to the Nook.

I guess time will tell if I like the Zenithink. I'll have the older Nook Color on hand to do a head to head.

Mike

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463