New Nexus

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just got to thinking...everyone assumes there'll be a new Nexus later this year but I'm starting to wonder. The "Nexus class" has always been used as a flagship of the most current Android version (Moto Droid = Eclair, Nexus One = Froyo, Nexus S = Gingerbread, Xoom = Honeycomb, GNex = ICS, Nexus 7 = Jelly Bean). But with Jelly Bean already coming out, what would be on a newer one this fall? Would Google really release a 4.2 update in another 3-4 months? Would the Nexus instead be the poster child for the hot new 4.1.1 update?

On the other hand, Google wouldn't want to miss holiday season sales would they? All this makes me unsure of when the next Nexus will come out...what do you all think? I'd personally buy the newer hardware in a heartbeat even if it were "only" running JB...but I'm certainly not an average consumer=/

Last edited:
Reactions: giograves

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they need to update system for new nexus, but i think there could new API Level release like 4.0.3 was. Keep in mind Honeycomb was only one because it only supports tablets ;p

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
A new Nexus is necessary to update the hardware. They wouldn't want other Android phones to be too far ahead of them regarding specs.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Nexus devices are introduced as a means for developers to acquire a hardware platform for coding and testing new apps, as well as updates to old apps on the new platform.

The bad part is that Nexus devices are not as cutting edge on the hardware front as they should be. They should have the newest and the best hardware so that the OS updates are tested on a rather high end baseline. Let the OEMs catch up with the hardware in the Nexus, instead of the Nexus having hardware that reflects current devices.

There is also rumor going around that there may be numerous Nexus device on the market this year, not just one. With the release of the Nexus 7 from Asus, it just shows that Google isn't going to exclusively use Motorola for their Nexus devices any time soon.

I would also venture a guess that any Nexus device released before the end of the year will have Jelly Bean installed. The next OS, key lime pie, or whatever K dessert they call it, will more than likely be released early next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty