Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    4.1.1 JRO03O

Default HTC defeats Apple in swipe-to-unlock patent dispute (Source: BBC)

(BBC: HTC defeats Apple in swipe-to-unlock patent dispute)
    [High Court judge] said Apple's slide-to-unlock feature was an "obvious" development in the light of a similar function on an earlier Swedish handset.
    Now, clearly this is a victory for HTC and Android in the UK.

I believe the US patent law also requires novelty and non-obviousness. It doesn't matter if the product was sold in the US or not, in fact it doesn't even care if the invention was sold at all. If some one publishes a paper about an invention, it's prior work, and cannot be patented by others anymore. I had two patenting strategies classes so far though, I'm not a patent attorney or something so don't quote me on that.

I still can't believe that the US won't get rid of the slide to unlock patent. Maybe this ruling will catch US judges' attention.

Oh, here's a video of the swipe to unlock feature on the 2004 windows CE phone: . I fast forwarded to the swipe to unlock feature demonstration so I can't embed it into the message, sorry.
    Speed provides the one genuinely modern pleasure. -Aldous Huxley
    Great men are nothing without great machines. -Eddie Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by mathematiker View Post
    (BBC: HTC defeats Apple in swipe-to-unlock patent dispute)Now, clearly this is a victory for HTC and Android in the UK.

I believe the US patent law also requires novelty and non-obviousness. It doesn't matter if the product was sold in the US or not, in fact it doesn't even care if the invention was sold at all. If some one publishes a paper about an invention, it's prior work, and cannot be patented by others anymore. I had two patenting strategies classes so far though, I'm not a patent attorney or something so don't quote me on that.

I still can't believe that the US won't get rid of the slide to unlock patent. Maybe this ruling will catch US judges' attention.

Oh, here's a video of the swipe to unlock feature on the 2004 windows CE phone: . I fast forwarded to the swipe to unlock feature demonstration so I can't embed it into the message, sorry.
    Patent law in the UK and EU is different. The US judges won't care what any judge in the EU has to say. (And in fact, some have already held that the slide to unlock patent is not only valid, but that any attempts to have it declared invalid have a high chance of failure. )

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    4,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

Finally a bright glimmer of justice in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    Finally a bright glimmer of justice in this world.
    Not really. The majority of the cases are in the us.

Global Posts
    4,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Not really. The majority of the cases are in the us.

In the U.S. then...