1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pretend you are on HTC's design team...

What kind of general design ideas would you back for their next generation of smartphones? What must HTC do to distinguish it's products from Samsung and Apple?

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10+Trinity

I think there already doing it. The One XL doesn't look like anything else. Its still light feels great in hand and the matte finish is fantastic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Pretend you are on HTC's design team...

I agree, the physical design is plenty different and IMHO better.

On the software side, though, HTC could go along with the ICS/Jelly Bean color/layout/general design language more. I don't mind Sense, but there are times when you run into ICS stuff and it's a huge contrast. A dark theme would go a long way toward alleviating some of this.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10+Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I agree, the physical design is plenty different and IMHO better.

On the software side, though, HTC could go along with the ICS/Jelly Bean color/layout/general design language more. I don't mind Sense, but there are times when you run into ICS stuff and it's a huge contrast. A dark theme would go a long way toward alleviating some of this.
    Sense is as good as its gonna be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's not enough. Tbh, HTC really needs to stand out more. They make great phones, but they haven't created a unique culture the way Samsung and Apple have done. That's the problem. That's what they are missing.

Think about it. The biggest and most profitable smartphone manufacturers all have certain unique brands that they sell. Apple has radical innovation, design, and quality materials. Samsung has best in class hardware and reliability, although conservative yet understated design. With their range of TV and appliances as support, LG offers a boutique of products, from inexpensive solid devices such as the Optimus V, to beautiful and elegant phones such as the L7. LG's GD808 Mini was the smallest phone to have a 3.2" capacitive screen. Motorola has rugged devices, bold designs, and best of class features such as the Razr Maxx battery. And Sony is known for it's eye-catching and classy designs and Walkman features; now with the "hover touch" floating sensors coming they are bringing something brand new to the table.

When I look back on past HTC phones, there's only one small, quirky thing I think of as being unique to them, and that is the trackball.

My point is that the HOX really stepped up HTC's game, but not enough - witness how many people hesitated to buy the HOX because of the SIII. That means that for many, there isn't anything special enough about it. Imo, what HTC needs to do is create a product that has something that truly no one else has. Whether that be some new material, such as zinc, or some new tech, I don't know exactly what, they need to sit down and come up with SOMETHING that is pure HTC innovation. Something an HTC owner can point to and brag about and say check out what I have. I think that is what they need to really be the best.
    Last edited by droidmyme; 07-11-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    It's not enough. Tbh, HTC really needs to stand out more. They make great phones, but they haven't created a unique culture the way Samsung and Apple have done. That's the problem. That's what they are missing.
    Ideas?

from Evo4G LTE on Tapatalk 2

Think about it. The biggest and most profitable smartphone manufacturers all have certain unique brands that they sell. Apple has radical innovation, design, and quality materials. Samsung has best in class hardware and reliability, although conservative yet understated design. With their range of TV and appliances as support, LG offers a boutique of products, from inexpensive solid devices such as the Optimus V, to beautiful and elegant phones such as the L7. LG's GD808 Mini was the smallest phone to have a 3.2" capacitive screen. Motorola has rugged devices, bold designs, and best of class features such as the Razr Maxx battery. And Sony is known for it's eye-catching and classy designs and Walkman features; now with the "hover touch" floating sensors coming they are bringing something brand new to the table.

When I look back on past HTC phones, there's only one small, quirky thing I think of as being unique to them, and that is the trackball.

My point is that the HOX really stepped up HTC's game, but not enough - witness how many people hesitated to buy the HOX because of the SIII. That means that for many, there isn't anything special enough about it. Imo, what HTC needs to do is create a product that has something that truly no one else has. Whether that be some new material, such as zinc, or some new tech, I don't know exactly what, they need to sit down and come up with SOMETHING that is pure HTC innovation. Something an HTC owner can point to and brag about and say check out what I have. I think that is what they need to really be the best.
    I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with several details:
    • Apple does not have radical innovation. They may have convinced the general public that they do, but really they are just good at mainstreaming existing technicnology and creating simple user interfaces.
    • Samsung does not have best in class reliability. I find in previous generations of Android phones, Samsung was MUCH LESS reliable than HTC. But they seem like they have improved on that with the GS3.
    • I think you're overstating the unique branding of LG and Moto smartphones. While the evidence you site is true, I don't think those companies have established those things as a brand.
    In fact I think HTC has done a much better job at establishing their brand then LG, Moto, and Sony. HTC is known for Sense (which prior to Sense 3.0 was the best UI), and build quality. HTC is a boutique manufacturer who makes high end phones with excellent build quality, and excellent support. I will say that they lost their way in 2011 (Sense 3.0, lack of a successful flagship, etc), but fans of HTC love them a lot more than LG, Sony, Moto, or even Samsung. In fact, I'd put HTC 2nd to only Apple in brand loyality, although Samsung is catching up fast.

Prior to 2011, HTC was quality and Samsung was quanity. HTC definitley had a rough 2011 that they are trying to recover from, and because of that Samsung has sprinted past them. But in terms of branding HTC is definitely on the right track.
    Last edited by jean15paul; 07-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok. I see your points, but I disagree with your assessment of HTC. Again, you may feel that way about HTC, but the key point is - the BIGGER MAJORITY of average users doesn't. If they thought that HTC reliability and hardware was superior to Samsung, why were there so many "Returning my HOX for an SIII" posts? Why so much hype around the SIII? Why does Samsung have record profits and the majority of the market, and HTC doesn't? My point is this: HTC did a good job in creating the One series. It gives them a real strong brand and appeal. But they need to innovate more. Having just really "good" phones is NOT enough to be THE Android manufacturer to beat. Right now that is Samsung.

In order to distinguish themselves from Samsung, HTC needs to create something that Samsung doesn't offer. Sense is just a skin dude. Sure it's nice, but it's not a bragging right. They need something to give their phones that bragging right. Do you feel me? I'm just saying, that's my opinion on how the market is. Take some cues from Apple or Sony, do something new and different.

*edit* Just another thought here. Besides a new material or tech idea, HTC could also make a line of fun, inexpensive Android phones aimed at younger people. Have some unique designs, lots of color, basic respectable specs like 1000mHz single cores, and sell them for under $200. That's just another idea that came to mind. Right now there is a battle for hardware specification superiority, so maybe HTC could go in a different direction and develop a brand for young people.
    Last edited by droidmyme; 07-11-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Ok. I see your points, but I disagree with your assessment of HTC. Again, you may feel that way about HTC, but the key point is - the BIGGER MAJORITY of average users doesn't. If they thought that HTC reliability and hardware was superior to Samsung, why were there so many "Returning my HOX for an SIII" posts? Why so much hype around the SIII? Why does Samsung have record profits and the majority of the market, and HTC doesn't? My point is this: HTC did a good job in creating the One series. It gives them a real strong brand and appeal. But they need to innovate more. Having just really "good" phones is NOT enough to be THE Android manufacturer to beat. Right now that is Samsung.

In order to distinguish themselves from Samsung, HTC needs to create something that Samsung doesn't offer. Sense is just a skin dude. Sure it's nice, but it's not a bragging right. They need something to give their phones that bragging right. Do you feel me? I'm just saying, that's my opinion on how the market is. Take some cues from Apple or Sony, do something new and different.

*edit* Just another thought here. Besides a new material or tech idea, HTC could also make a line of fun, inexpensive Android phones aimed at younger people. Have some unique designs, lots of color, basic respectable specs like 1000mHz single cores, and sell them for under $200. That's just another idea that came to mind. Right now there is a battle for hardware specification superiority, so maybe HTC could go in a different direction and develop a brand for young people.
    {emphasis added}

It's all marketing. That's why there is hype around the GS3 and not the HOX. Apple and Samsung spend millions of dollars every year on marketing. That's why they have brand recognition and hype. HTC doesn't. It has absolutely nothing to do with device quality or innovation. It's all marketing.

HTC tried and failed in cheaper market. Reason why they are leaving Brazil and focusing on high end. All those unique designs and lots of cheap ones crashed HTC once. They won't do it again. A single 1ghz core is so outdated that it won't run Facebook app well, meaning teenagers won't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jean15paul View Post
    {emphasis added}

It's all marketing. That's why there is hype around the GS3 and not the HOX. Apple and Samsung spend millions of dollars every year on marketing. That's why they have brand recognition and hype. HTC doesn't. It has absolutely nothing to do with device quality or innovation. It's all marketing.
    exactly. It doesn't matter how good a product is. If it doesn't sell, its not a good one. Marketing made iPhone and Galaxy series where they are.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

That's funny. My Facebook app runs just fine on my Optimus V. Not sure what you mean, but a single core is not exactly a dinosaur.

my droid x's single core runs most things fine, albeit the heaviest game i play is temple run

now on topic:

HTC has always looked good to me. i planned on purchasing the incredible over my X, but they were sold out every where i looked.
    They have, imo, always had some of the best looking stock widgets, and their ui (judging from playing the my cousins incredible 2) runs well, and i like the notification tray. i enjoy the build quality too, feels strong, and i like the matte finish.

something they could improve on is larger battery, never seen an htc with great battery life
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The One Series is meant to be their return to glory, but they got clipped at the knee by Apple's injunction. Any marketing push that was focusing on the solid release date had to get axed.

People that got the One X and returned it for the SIII did so for one or more of three reasons: multi-tasking, removable battery, expandable storage.

Battery life on my One X is pretty amazing for everything the phone can do. Last year was a flop for HTC IMHO, but this year they came back strong.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.