Galaxy nexus on straightalk.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm purchasing a unlocked nexus from the Google play store and am going to try out straightalk on the phone. I'm tired of paying 100 a month for service. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am doing that with my galaxy s3 dont get lte but its decent fast. And for 50 a month its a great deal never have lost signal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am doing that with my galaxy s3 dont get lte but its decent fast. And for 50 a month its a great deal never have lost signal.

Ya I mean even if the data isn't truly unlimited 2-3gb is enough for $45 a month and running off att towers i should get fast enough speeds. I'm on verizon and my friend with att is usually about 3-5 times my 3g speeds

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Once the next Nexus device comes out, I'm going to buy the unlocked version and hop onto straight talk as well. I'm sick and tired of Verizon....

If I was to port my number over from verizon would that cancel my plan with verizon automatically?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think you have to cancel your plan for Verizon to release your number for use on another carrier...

Update:
bad idea, don't do this

Last edited:

mud314

May 18, 2012
Visit site
If I was to port my number over from verizon would that cancel my plan with verizon automatically?

Yes. As it was explained to me by Verizon. Once the number is ported over to another carrier it's all over with Verizon and if you were still under contract, early termination fees apply with pro ration.

I looked into going this route, because like you I am tired of paying VZ so much of my money, unfortunately not one ATT or Tmo tower near where I live, only VZ. Rat bastards!!!!

sprof

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not 100% certain, but I think you have to cancel your plan for Verizon to release your number for use on another carrier...

No No No, never cancel on your own. If you do, say goodbye to your phone number. All the information you need to provide to ST is your Verizon account number and 4 digit PIN (normally last 4 of your SSN), and your name and billing address, oh and the phone number of course. When the number is ported to your new carrier your old service is cancelled. Porting for my wife's dumb phone from Verizon took 10 minutes.

Last edited:

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No No No, never cancel on your own. If you do, say goodbye to your phone number. All the information you need to provide to ST is your Verizon account number and 4 digit PIN (normally last 4 of your SSN), and your name and billing address, oh and the phone number of course. When the number is ported to your new carrier your old service is cancelled. Porting for my wife's dumb phone from Verizon took 10 minutes.

Alright awesome. Ordered the nexus and straight talk sim last night. Its going to be nice paying $90 for 2 smart phones on straight talk. As is I pay $100 for one smartphone on verizon. I was wanting to go to att foe their 3g speeds anyways so this will be awesome

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I just ran across that a minute ago and headed over here to correct my post.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Is the nexus with the straight talk AT&T sim card supposed to show the H+ sign? I'm only getting an H and we have H+ where I'm located

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Straight talk doesn't have H+ from what I have heard

I thought they had H+ just no 4g LTE but I could be wrong. Even the normal 3g is much faster than I ever got on Verizon so I'm happy getting the same service for $45 a month that I was paying $100 for

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about changing over, sprint truly sucks

Ya I went from sprint to Verizon because of sprints slow data speeds. Then I hated paying $100 for one phone on verizon. I get great signal and data speeds using the AT&T sim card. Best thing I ever did. Cut my cell bill in half

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear it because when I'm done with my Verizon contract next year I'll be joining you. I'm tired of Verizon, but I'm not dumb enough to eat their ETF.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it because when I'm done with my Verizon contract next year I'll be joining you. I'm tired of Verizon, but I'm not dumb enough to eat their ETF.

Ya it is definitely worth the savings and I usually buy my phones off Craigslist so I don't pay much more than u would if u signed a 2 year contract so its a win win.

MSwain43123

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning on getting the galaxy note 2 and putting it on straight talk. Normally the phone carrier determines what phones get android os updates and when they get them. Does anyone know if straight talk does the same? Or would you be able to receive the upgrade directly?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm planning on getting the galaxy note 2 and putting it on straight talk. Normally the phone carrier determines what phones get android os updates and when they get them. Does anyone know if straight talk does the same? Or would you be able to receive the upgrade directly?

i think with an unlocked Galaxy Note 2 you are at the mercy of Samsung for updates.

when my contract is up with Sprint next year i will seriously consider getting the "next" Nexus and pairing it with Straight Talk or equivalent. No contracts, value plans, phone-choice-freedom via quick change SIM, direct updates from Google, and a "true" Nexus sounds like a beautiful thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007