Samsung Galaxy S2 Went Down The Toilet

ARDV8

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
So this morning my little boy comes into our room and says - the bad news is I dropped your phone down the toilet, good news is I got it out again.

I ripped out the battery, took the back off and have had it in a sealed bag of rice and a few bags of silica gel.

It doesn't appear to want to start, and when he did it, it was very warm around the UCP300 (I think this is the correct name, found a circuit layout and this looks like the part, just above the card slot)

Looking at the pins I can see it looks oxidised. Not sure if this is the problem or not.

The phone is insured so no worries about replacement. Problem is I want to get the info off it. I never used a memory card, so everything is stored on the phone's internal memory.

Can anyone suggest how to get it working temporary, or, if it is possible to get the information off it.

Many thanks

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
So this morning my little boy comes into our room and says - the bad news is I dropped your phone down the toilet, good news is I got it out again.

I ripped out the battery, took the back off and have had it in a sealed bag of rice and a few bags of silica gel.

It doesn't appear to want to start, and when he did it, it was very warm around the UCP300 (I think this is the correct name, found a circuit layout and this looks like the part, just above the card slot)

Looking at the pins I can see it looks oxidised. Not sure if this is the problem or not.

The phone is insured so no worries about replacement. Problem is I want to get the info off it. I never used a memory card, so everything is stored on the phone's internal memory.

Can anyone suggest how to get it working temporary, or, if it is possible to get the information off it.

Many thanks

Sorry if I'm just being dense, but did it start up or not? You mentioned it startup up and getting warm, but then you asked how to get it working temporarily. I'm probably just confused.

Either way you shouldn't loose too much stuff. You can pull your SD card and put in in a SD card reader to get the stuff off of it (mainly pictures and videos). Between that and the things that are automatically synced to your Google account, you'll probably only lose your call history, SMS/MMS messages, and app data. You contacts and calendar should be synced to you Google account, your app downloads/purchases are remembered in the Play Store/Amazon App store. Emails are stored in the cloud. If you're not using Chrome you might also lose your bookmarks.

Loosing app data is usually the big thing that everyone is concerned about, but if you're not rooted there's no way to back that stuff up. If the phone is starting up, you can try to root, install Titanium Backup, and save your app data. If you need a crash course in Titanium Backup, read this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ting-roms-hacks/192528-how-tibu-easy-way.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy