Pruning the Android Garden

trick202

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more with this article:

How Google's Failing the Android App Market

The market is awash with sub-standard dross. Open source should not be an excuse for mediocrity.
I have read countless reports about the purchasing habits (or lack thereof) of Android users Vs iPhone users, and disposable income differences etc - but I'm loathed to believe that stuff for the time being.

What does everyone else think?

Personally, If I was a dev with no axe to grind with regards to which platform I wrote for - I'd pick Apple every time.

So, as Hardcore Android users, what do you think about your marketplace? Do you think it needs Google to prune it a little? Some minimum standards? Some streamlining? Or, do you love it the way it is?

By the way, this is an Android/Google discussion - not an Apple/iPhone flaming session. Lets keep it on-topic please.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I think if the market gets regulated, then that will lead to apps getting denied (duh!). This is a seriously double edged sword.

The good: Bad, harmful, untrustworthy, useless apps will not be in the marketplace. Awesome. It is way to easy to steal someone's mobile data or brick someone's phone with a dangerous app with the status quo.

The bad: Google can reject apps that interfere with Android functions or do things Google doesn't want the phone to be used for (like Apple does). This could mean better tethering apps are shut down. Gmail or google maps replacements denied. Alternative music players no let in.

The good and bad almost outweigh each other. It really depends on what you think is more of a problem, bad apps or bad overseers. Personally, I just avoid apps that get bad reviews or seem sketchy in general (like a tip calculator wanting permission to access phone usage or something).

Google has already shown they can regulate their market and shut down dangerous apps, but they can't cross the line. Maybe the best system would be to have consumers recommend horrible apps to be removed, then Google can review and act upon it.

I don't really have a solution. It seems like no one has a perfect one. All I know is that with a small amount of oversight and regulation, open source is gonna be a harder sell.

paul_aka_paul

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read the article, but the failing on Google's part isn't that they don't regulate the market, but that the search engine giant hasn't built a better way to search. We get Top Free and Top Paid, but top what? Top reviewed? Top downloaded?

Not only should we be able to search by top reviewed, but by the quality of the reviewer. Let us vote on the quality of the review and then have a reviewer's history where the cream of the crop rise to the top. Then I can go to bob79's page and see what he has tried out since I have come to trust his opinions.

A more dynamic search function keeps the democratic spirit while clamping down on the market just makes it more Apple-ish.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've had experience with both the Market and the App store, and they are both filled with garbage. However, for every app I've ever needed, I've always found one to fit my needs in both cases, so it doesn't bother me really.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't need anyone to hold my hand or tell me what apps i can pick from. I can read, so determining what each app can do on the system is fairly easy.

If google starts any type of approval process and denying applications, you can bet good development grinds to a halt.

Prospekt

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I'm worried about in the Android market are any apps that might steal sensitive information and stuff like that. Luckily, I don't yet use any apps that require this information. I used to have an iPhone 3GS, and I can say that I felt "safer" (for a lack of better words) using the App store. This hasn't stopped me from using the market however.

likwidsoul

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
People say such things then complain when google erases a malicious app from their phone. But they should divide the crap from the good apps so I don't have to scroll past 30 hot babe apps to find what i want. So I'm all for better sorting.

trick202

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not talking about denying apps - I'm talking about assuring quality.
I'm not suggesting Google should even be the ones to curate - lets be honest, while their stuff is normally very usable (ignore buzz, wave etc) it's never very nice to look at.

I know you don't look at the mantlepiece while you're poking the fire, but if Android is to become more mainstream then it has to add some spit and polish here and there.
Jerry, we all know you don't need guidance through the market - but I'm sure you are the first to admit - you're not an average user.

I am not comparing to Apple here - why would you think that unless you consider them to be some kind of subconscious benchmark?

The post about search is an excellent point. However, I would suggest that to make the market a more mainstream area would be better for mainstream users. For more advanced users who want to install apps NOT approved by google - just side-load. Simple.

I sometimes get the feeling that there are Android users out there that want to maintain an element of complexity to keep Joe Public out of their exclusive niche club.

htcevohack99

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read the article, but the failing on Google's part isn't that they don't regulate the market, but that the search engine giant hasn't built a better way to search. We get Top Free and Top Paid, but top what? Top reviewed? Top downloaded?

Not only should we be able to search by top reviewed, but by the quality of the reviewer. Let us vote on the quality of the review and then have a reviewer's history where the cream of the crop rise to the top. Then I can go to bob79's page and see what he has tried out since I have come to trust his opinions.

A more dynamic search function keeps the democratic spirit while clamping down on the market just makes it more Apple-ish.

very well put that is very well put.. lol i feel the same way!!!!! thumbs up

elemental

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the previous comments that the search function from the Search Giant is not close to sub par.

Giving it some thought on how to leverage the double edge sword; let's do both. Create a Top Tier and either a ladder to lower tiers or simply an "every other" tier. Dev can submit their apps for review to a certain set of standards for consideration in the Top Tier. The app can either fall out to the bottom tier(s) or go back to the Dev for review. OR Dev can simply submit their app to the "other" tier.

ilaifire

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
No, I don't think Google needs to start "pruning" the market. What they do need to do is start polishing it. I completely agree with everyone who said that the search abilities for the market suck. I really wish the had the ability to say, search by author, sort by top downloaded, sort by top rated, sort by price (not just all, paid or free), and had more categories apps could be placed under along with the ability to do all of these at the same time (I want to see the highest rated task manager apps under the price of $2).

while their stuff is normally very usable... it's never very nice to look at.
I would disagree. I use Chrome, Gmail, and Google Calendar (Google search is assumed). I find all of these are really well designed aesthetically. I've tried several different desktop email clients and calendar managers but I stop after a week or two because I don't like it anywhere near as much as I like the way the actual Gmail or Calendar websites look. Which of Google's products are you using that aren't nice to look at?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000