Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Future Android Phones Sizes

Hi,

I was thinking just now that Android phones have gone up and up in size as time has gone on. I suppose this is due to the components not being able to fit in a smaller size maybe?

However, the future - I have now had some time with my sister's Galaxy S3 and honestly, this really is the biggest phone I could have. I haven't bought one yet, but I will.
    But in the future, how much bigger are the Android phones going to get? I imagine the Galaxy S4 or the replacement to the HTC One X are going to have 5 inch screens. But then when does it stop? I personally could not buy a phone bigger than the Galaxy S3 but looking back at the first Galaxy to four generations later and they get bigger and bigger!

What are your thoughts? How big is too big for a phone?

Cheers!

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Default Re: Future Android Phones Sizes

I personally believe the Note line is not a phablet line. A real phablet would have a 6" screen. So I think it'll stop at around 6".

As long as their is interest, they will keep going up in size.

I'm on a gs3 now, I'm hoping Verizon gets the note2..... if that happens I'll prob sell my xoom, as it really doesn't get its due use now. Also have been thinking of getting the n7, but the note would easily be the do everything device.

I think the biggest screen size I could go for would be 4.3" and that is the absolute biggest. My preference would be 4" and smaller.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums
    RicanMedic78 likes this.

I have the old GS 2(sic) with it's 4.5 inch screen, I love it but I'm willing to go up to the GS 3 4.7 inch screen but not all the way to 5 inches because that will be a little to large for me, and the issue of fitting a chest pocket or pants pocket is a real concern.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think actual phones will stop at 5.5". After that you're thoroughly treading on smaller tablet territory. How much differentiation can there really be?
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

I think moving to a 5" screen would be the perfect size, if not even a 5.2 or so. Take the Nexus, reduce the bezel slightly and elongate the screen diagonally and your phone is not that much bigger than before. Phones with HD screens are made for bigger real estate. Keep in mind if you have a bigger phone screen, you will most likely have room for a longer lasting battery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

I'd love to see a device with a 4" 720p HD screen with either IPS or Super AMOLED. To me, there's really no need to get much bigger than that on a smartphone.

At 4", a 720p screen (1280x720) would have a PPI of about 367 (sharper than the iPhone 4S) and the size would be very manageable for most hands.

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
    I'd love to see a device with a 4" 720p HD screen with either IPS or Super AMOLED. To me, there's really no need to get much bigger than that on a smartphone.

At 4", a 720p screen (1280x720) would have a PPI of about 367 (sharper than the iPhone 4S) and the size would be very manageable for most hands.
    Or you could get a slightly larger Rezound with a ppi of 342 (also higher than the 4S), right now! ;-)

As far as what size I'd prefer: 5in with a very minimal bezel would likely be the biggest I could possible ever see myself with. The bottom and upper parts need to be several cut down on most devices because I'd have an easier time dealing with a wider device than an even longer/taller one.

People said the same thing when 4" phones came out, and then people said the same thing when 4.3" phones came out, now people are saying the same thing about 4.7" and 5" phones. I wish they made phones ranging from 3.5" to 7" and give customers the choice. Personally, I'd love a 7" tablet that could make calls. I'd hold it to my head with nothing but pride.
    AKA Preluva likes this.

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

4" is a nice size, a bit small, but defiantly great. I would like to get a 4.3-4.7" to see how that feels. Though I feel like past 5.5" is too far. Smartphones should be a one handed device, reach you thumb across. Not have to use two hands.

well in my opinion i think 4.5 to 4.7 inch is good enough larger then that would be consider as a phablet ...

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I don't think its because of components not fitting engineers are crafty if they want small they would go small its just how these guys wanna do things

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    I don't think its because of components not fitting engineers are crafty if they want small they would go small its just how these guys wanna do things

I agree, large screen size is mostly a design decision.

So if we linearly interpolate growing Android phone screen sizes to 2020, this is what an Android phone will look like by then:

Future Android Phones Sizes-4249461314_e47283c0a8.jpg
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shady28 View Post
    I agree, large screen size is mostly a design decision.

So if we linearly interpolate growing Android phone screen sizes to 2020, this is what an Android phone will look like by then:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4249461314_e47283c0a8.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	38115

Sign me up! I can't wait!!!!!

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

I think at this point, The actual size of the phones will start to stop increasing and they will focus on cutting down on more of the bezel, allowing for bigger screens in a smaller area. I still think that the max screen size for future phones will be 5.5 inches.
    The Officer

Quote Originally Posted by n-strike View Post
    I personally believe the Note line is not a phablet line. A real phablet would have a 6" screen. So I think it'll stop at around 6".
    I have a 7" tablet and I feel the gnote looks weird at only 5". Gnote 2 at 5.5 will probably not look so good either on most people when they make calls.

I think 5.5 is probably the point at which the oems make a u turn and I won't be surprised to see smaller sizes coming back on flagship devices

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post

I disagree. With the obsession with "thin," sever compromises must be made with other dimensions must be made to fit the hardware. I mean look that surfboard bezel nightmare that is the razr.

Remember that everything is driven by cost, and the cost to minimize the size of components is a great one. So why would they not steer the market in the direction that gives them higher profit margins?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I disagree. With the obsession with "thin," sever compromises must be made with other dimensions must be made to fit the hardware. I mean look that surfboard bezel nightmare that is the razr.

Remember that everything is driven by cost, and the cost to minimize the size of components is a great one. So why would they not steer the market in the direction that gives them higher profit margins?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    No im not doubting that but I am saying that it can be done if the company so chooses if they want top specs and a smaller form factor it will be done would it cost us yes but if the demand was there they would build it

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

For me anything bigger than the s3s screen is not a phone its a phablet and kudos to people who want these large screens but i just see it being very practical to hold a 5 inch screen up to your ear that emits radio waves( i always put my s3 on speakerphone when i get the chance ). I personally would feel embarrassed using a gigantor screen like that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Considering what these devices do it would be just plain silly to continue with tiny phones. Here's my prediction for the future of the smartphone...

Entry level 5.5 inches

Midsize 7 inches

Flagship 10 inches

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Personally on phones I think all is well currently at 4.5 - ~5 in fits in pockets easily exempting girl pants wearing hipsters :rolleyes:. But if the market shows people want bigger it will happen.

I think Flagship devices, the kind requiring a second mortgage / sale of internal organs, will top out around 5-6 inches, possibly converging into Phablet space. Heck, Phablets might take over high end phone space...

For everyone else, I'd say from 3-5 inches. I have a Sony Xperia Mini Pro, a 3 inch screen, and its a great pocketable size. For me, pocketability is more of a factor than real-estate. For productivity, viewing and such, I have a tablet. My phone lacks the horsepower, but that's OK as its only needed for light browsing, email, SMS and phone calls.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by mandopicker101; 10-14-2012 at 03:26 AM.

I have relatively ginormous hands. For me, they couldn't have made a better all-around device than my S3.

Rooted Galaxy S3 (SGH-T999)

i think everything beyound 5'' will be silly, some people already don't like Galaxy Note size, also keep in mind 3'' sizes are also still notably popular... and im not talking here about iPhone, but phones like Galaxy Ace which is cheapest option to get Android and they won't go away so easily. So i don't think tis wll go beyound what it is, but we might see more phones with iPhone 5 new screen ratio (if there aren't already)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast