Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Actually when any of my phones break I return them to the OEM not the carrier. I certainly don't let them con me into a warranty( besides paying for texting that's the second biggest rip off a carrier can do to someone ). Most if not all oems for mobile phones include one or two year warranty with your phone. All you have to do is have the original receipt with the date of purchase and your good to go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    You are certainly in the minority in the US for going to the OEM for tech needs. Almost everyone goes through the carrier, especially folks who don't come to these kinds of sites. As for insurance, It helps a lot more people than you might think, and is worth it IMO. Most of the broken phones I see at work wouldn't be covered under warranty, and most people don't have replacement phones to use while they send theirs out to get fixed, and almost nobody wants to drop 5-700 bucks on a replacement. That $100 deductible for anything is not a terrible deal.

Evil. A carrier should be a carrier and just that. I wouldn't except the Water Authority to start changing the color of my water, or giving it a floral scent. Nor would I expect them to limit what I can do with the water, if I'm paying my bill. I should be allowed to drink it, freeze it, cool my car with it, or irrigate a giant marijuana cultivation operation if I so please. The same should go for carriers. Take my money, give me my service, keep your bloat off my phone, and don't tell me what I can do with my bandwidth.
    Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (Dark ParanoidAndroid 2.52), Nexus 7 (Dark ParanoidAndroid 2.52)
    Retired: HTC Eris, Dinc, Thunderbolt, Moto Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Samsung Charge, Epic 4G
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Quote Originally Posted by jcsugrue View Post
    Evil. A carrier should be a carrier and just that. I wouldn't except the Water Authority to start changing the color of my water, or giving it a floral scent. Nor would I expect them to limit what I can do with the water, if I'm paying my bill. I should be allowed to drink it, freeze it, cool my car with it, or irrigate a giant marijuana cultivation operation if I so please. The same should go for carriers. Take my money, give me my service, keep your bloat off my phone, and don't tell me what I can do with my bandwidth.
    thank you!!!! exactly. this is also the reason that google with it's resources has to sell the nexus through the play store. i'm sure theres a good reason for this as carrier are so insistent on bloat ware locked boot loader crippled functionality. Even apple with the face time how in the hell are you going to cripple a built in feature so you can make money off of it??? Same with the wifi teathering even on my inspire in stock froyo and ginger bread at&t would make me give up unlimited data tie me down then charge me an extra 20 a month for something the oem put into the phone. Bottom line carriers hate free anything and will make a 500 yard dash for your wallet. smfh Get with the program they need to do like Europe we pay out rite for the device then they would be a truely compeditive market like prepaid. not compeditive into how much they can make themselves extra money for things that the phone is capable of without a premium
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12